“Maybe THE Best German Rest in Phoenix”

Zur Kate German Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 941 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Maybe THE Best German Rest in Phoenix”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was our third time here and totally love it! Authentic atmosphere, great beer selection, awesome service and food is very authentic. Love their SPAETZLES!! They dont take reservations so it is first come first serve! Get there early with a large group. We had eight and they set us up nicely. There are two German Restaurants in this plaza, dont go to the wrong one! This one is much much better. Loved the Sauerbraten and Weinershnitzle too! Awesome deserts. Pricing is very reasonable!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Art B

“Great Bavarian food!!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Excellent atmosphere along with great food. Reasonably priced and very authentic. Having been to Bavaria several times I can say this is the real deal. Some the best menu items are on weekly specials only, wish they weren't!!

1 Thank Rlcruz
Mesa, Arizona, United States
“Great food for a great price!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I've been going to Zur Kate every few months for the last 6 years and I LOVE it! I grew up in Germany, so I get a craving for German food every now and then. What I crave there the most is the Spatzle. Sadly, they don't have Kase Spatzle, but if they did, I might order a plate of that and nothing else (at least on occasion). Their Schnitzels are also very good and tender.

The restaurant is very small and cozy, but it definately has German character. The waitress we see the most is German herself. As Germans (in fact, Europeans in general) tend to take longer to eat meals as they use it for socializing, she's not right on top of you every 10 seconds like you'd see in an American restaurant. I actually prefer that, but I know others might not. Because it's such as small restaurant, however, it doesn't take long to "flag" her down (which is also pretty common in Germany).

What I love the most at Zur Kate are that the prices are very low for the dishes and portions they serve. The only other German restaurant I've eaten at here in the valley is Bavarian Point, right next door, but I found that their prices didn't reflect the quality in food (I noticed the same thing at the German restaurant my parents go to in MD). I've also looked at the prices at Haus Murphy in Glendale and refused to eat there just based on that. So, my favorite continues to be Zur Kate. Luckily for me, it's less than 2 miles from my house!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Christie L
wisconsin
“A touch of Germany in AZ”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Four of us enjoyed 3 different entrees on Valentine's Day. We went early, and there was almost no wait. The food was served quickly and by friendly servers. We liked the old world costumes. Rye bread, plus 2 sides are included and most meals are between $8-$12. I liked the German potato salad and red cabbage as sides. We'll go back.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank gogirlWisconsin
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Don't always trus reviews”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Having visited Zur-Kaete this week for the second time in a year I do not understand the previous review. It is so full of vitriol that I suspect it was written by an angry competitor.
Our experience was quite similar to eating in a small cozy Gasthaus back in Germany. The hostess/waitress was attentive, the food was well prepared, the portions were quite large, the menu contained at least 8 different types of Schnitzel as well as weekly specials and the beer was tasty. The potato salad was well done in the style of southern Germany, more potato with vinegar and oil instead of the sour cream and mayo some are used to. The red cabbage was very tasty but may be unusual to some American palates not used to new tastes. Yes the place is small, yes there is no salad bar (something you don't find in a German Gasthaus either) and yes the staff is close to my age (60+) but the food and Gemuetlichkeit are served in large portions.

• Visited September 2011