“Great Trek” 5 of 5 bubbles

South Elgin, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Trek”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

What a great park...although I can only attest to one trail. I hiked the Wind Cave Trail with my 9 and 7 year olds. What a great experience! In retrospect I might have taken the hiking stick supplied at the house we were renting for our vacation as most others had them. It's quite a climb but my kids probably did better than me! Great view from the top. Took almost an hour to climb up. Actually slightly longer to come down because of the loose gravel. Bring water and maybe a snack but definitely try to work it in your plans!

Visited April 2012

St Boswells
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Well worth the journey to this lovely park.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

It is quite a journey to this park but well worth the effort. Camping grounds, picnic areas and trailheads all provided as well as lots of restrooms.
Being oldies we cannot manage the more testing trecks but over the last couple of years we have enjoyed the shorter hikes to the South of the park. We can recommend the Blevins trail (3 miles) and especially a combination of trail legs taking you around Cat Peak.
If you have young children take them around the Merkle trail or if more adventurous go half way round the Merkle trail and return by climbing over the top (Vista trail). As a reward there are picnic tables near by and a children's play area.
We can highly recommend this park.

Visited April 2012