“Bad food, overpriced, rude staff, dull show-never again!”
Review of Rockin R Ranch

Rockin R Ranch
Ranked #21 of 62 things to do in Mesa
Grand Rapids, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Bad food, overpriced, rude staff, dull show-never again!”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Took a group there last month, very disappointed. I don't understand why this place gets high reviews. Everyone in my group complained about the food. It's covered in their barbeque sauce, a lot of people don't like sauce. You don't have a choice. Normally I love barbeque sauce, but not this stuff. It's home made and terrible. The amount and the quality of food you get is low. I expected better considering the price I paid for each ticket; 31.95. I could have gotten a better meal for less money. The entertainment is a joke. The dinner show does not take place during dinner. That's because the entertainers are in the kitchen cooking and serving food. You have to get up and get your food, they don't bring it to you. That's not good for someone who is elderly or in a wheel chair. The staff acts as if they don't care. Very rude people. The whole night I felt it was “give us your money and get out”. The stage show was a joke, lame entertainment at best. One of the members in my group started text messaging a friend, he was so bored. He said he didn't care, he needed something interesting to do. At the end of the night, I apologized to the whole group for the rotten dinner and crummy show. It was not a good way for me to earn new clients.

4 Thank Dave D

Los Angeles, California
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Good Dinner and Show”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I've been several times over the last 15 years. This time I took my 88 y/o mother and sister before going to the Grand Canyon. The setting is a small old west town (shops). After eating several hot dutch oven biscuits and watching a short Medicine Man (Snake Oil) Show we entered the dining hall for a great BBQ meal. Don't bother buying the VIP extra cost ticket for extra food. Simply ask and you can go back for seconds, thirds, as much as you can eat. There's always extra food and it's delicious.

Quickly after dinner is done is the Western Show. I don't care for cowboy music, but it was good entertainment with music, comedy and good family focus. They even brought out their kids to add to the show - and they were good. They had a champion fiddler who is also funny. They had a champion Indian Hoop Dancer that was talented.

The thing I like most is the graciousness of the family owners/entertainers. We had an RV and they let us stay the night in their parking lot after the show.

Visited April 2012
5 Thank Ken R
phoenix
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Fun place, especially for visitors!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I love the (man-made) tunnel entrance---like going into a gold mine. Through the tunnel, you land in an outdoor cooking spot where sour dough biscuits are baking over an open fire. Yeah, you can eat them. All around you are buildings recreating a wild west town. We enjoyed the saloon where we were entertained by a lovely young girl who will be on her way to Nashville to record. We learned about the mysterious medicines from the traveling doc and witnessed a gun fight in the town streets. Sweet treats can be had in the candy and ice cream store. As for the meal, you take your one tin plate through the serving line and sit down at a picnic table with one mighty loaded plate. The chicken was good; the beef a little tough (my opinion). You could go back for more, if you wanted.

For us, the best part of the night was the western show. From the foot-stomping fiddling and western band and singers to the champion hoop dancer, the entertainment was first-rate good fun!

If I could make a suggestion to the great family running this enjoyable entertainment part of their ranch---open a much bigger souvenir shop with lots more western "stuff." I'm sure it would pay off. My visitors love to buy souvenirs.

Anyway, thanks for a great time! We will be back with more visitors!

6 Thank dela
Cleveland, Ohio
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,232 helpful votes
“Fun Western Show With Great Chuckwagon Supper”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Got here early before supper was served to tour the place. I don't understand the other reviewers comments about run-down or tired looking; I think it looked like the authentic west -- not shiny or plastic. There are several buildings to tour, watch little kids take a pony ride and everyone gets a chance to pan for gold (at no cost!). You can also shoot a old-time Colt 45 for $3 or $5. Fun!

The meal was great, but the highlight was the entertain after dinner. For such a large crowd, they did a superb job of herding people through the line. The food was very tasty and consisted of:

1. Applesauce (to provide a cold place on the tin plate)
2. Very tasty baked beans
3. Chicken / beef or a combo of both -- while I enjoyed the beef, I thought that the chicken was exception
4. Very large baked potato
5. Biscuits and spice / cinamon flavored cake

The biscuits,which are offered up as you stand in line to enter were absolutely fabulous. The BBQ sauce on the beef and chicken was excellent. Meal is served on tin plates; dinning is on long wooden picnic style table and benches. Food is served cafeteria style (but very efficient). Plates are very full (and hot) to carry back to the table. The people serving the food (who are family) turned out to be the entertainers later in the evening. All the coffee / lemonade that you want. If you want ice cream, it costs an extra $3 and you have to go to the candy store to buy it. You will have more than enough food without the ice cream.

Although the room is very large and seating is on benches, the acustics and ability to see the show was great. It was a western stage show, with singing, guitar playing, etc., but particularly noteworthy was the young Native American who danced with hoops. Most of the entertainers were family members. The show exceeded my expectations - fast moving, talented, lots of variety. The highlight for me was the ghostrider in the storm outside the dining hall. The emcee was great, lots of energy, and provided a history of the place. The family still runs a horse farm out back.

The entertainment was very wholesome. There was one or two gospel religious songs, but I didn't realize that the family that own and run the place were Mormons until after I left. Although there was no alcohol with dinner, there was a separate saloon with alcohol that you could purchase before supper. (Mormons don't drink or use cafeine - no coffee, but clearly that is not enforced here.) The was a youngish women singing in the room below the saloon before dinner.

After the indoor entertainment, there was a fun gun fight by the entertainers to cap off the night.

Left feeling satisfied (very full) and happy! What more can you ask for in after an evening of good food and entertainment. Western food, western music, western entertainment, western fun!

8 Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
Steinbach, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“average”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

we enjoyed our evening, but the whole place seemed rather tired. it definitely is not in the same league as Arizona Opry but they charge the same rates. Glad we went for the experience, but would not go again.

3 Thank Gladys P