“Good Locally owned restaurant”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Serrano's Mexican Food Restaurant
Ranked #206 of 923 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Phoenix, Arizona
“Good Locally owned restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good food served in a clean and comfortable setting. We love their chips and gather here with family often. Better than the big chain restaurants and a bit more trusted than some of the smaller locals for quality. I need a margarita so off I go ! We eat here regularly.

Visited July 2013

Mesa, Arizona
“My Favorite Mexican Food - Fifteen Years Running”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Mexican food is pretty much the same wherever you go. Same ingredients, same spices. Serrano's food is not particularly different from anywhere else. But it is always good, fast, and a good value.

One thing that is different is what they bring you before the meal. Most places it's just chips and salsa. Here you get piping hot chips, a very tasty salsa, and spicy bean dip. You can of course do them separately, but since Serrano's always has a small plate already at your table, you can concoct your own mix of salsa and dip for your chips. I normally go through at least a bowl of chips and two bowls of both dip and salsa before the meal arrives.

My favorite menu items are the muchaca chimichanga and the pescado fresco, but I've never had anything I didn't like, and I've been going there half a dozen times each year for over 15 years.

Service is fabulous, and management is always very willing to work with me when I bring a large group there for a special celebration.

• Visited May 2013
Seattle, WA
“good, inexpensive food and drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

While visiting my sister in Mesa, I asked to go out for good Mexican food. There are at least 3 Serranos Mexican Restaurants in Mesa, and we went to the one on McKellips. It was crowded but we went into the bar. I had the pork chimicanga with beans and rice for $10.99 They were having a special on drinks, but I stayed with the Modello. Service was quick, and the atmosphere was okay. Our waiter Arturo was very pleasant and friendly. I will plan to go here again when I return in the fall.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago
“Back in the Pack”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

It was our first Arizona vacation, and we were pretty much flying blind. In a metropolis riddled, with Tex Mex, we went in search of authentic Mexican cuisine. This was not it. The service was friendly, the ambience adequate, and the price was close enough to right. But judging by three staples of Mexican cuisine, this was a disappointment. (1) Maybe it's just me, but when I've had burritos in the past, they've usually come with one or more garnishments on the side, to place on top. Hot, mild, whatever. Here, there was one all-purpose garnishment already on the table alongside the tortilla chips when we first sat down, and we never saw another. And the chicken inside, while adequately tasty, was nothing more than that. Adequate. To me, this was a blown opportunity for Serrano's to set itself apart from the pack; a way to make people want to tell their friends, "you should check out Serrano's." Instead, it was the same burrito you can find at any Tex Mex restaurant. (2) Same with the guacamole. It was clearly from stock. Undistinguished. It could have come from a grocery store shelf. (3) And finally, the margaritas. We ordered ours on the rocks. When they arrived, they were *warm*. Room temperature.

If you want off-the-rack Tex Mex, you'll probably be happy here. If you want memorable Tex Mex, or authentic Mexican, keep looking.

Gilbert, Arizona
“Consistently good Mexican food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I believe this restaurant is owned by the Serrano family based in Chandler. That being said I have eaten 3 of the restaurants in Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa and have found they all share the same good menus. My favorite is their the rellanno the house Margarita. The Gilbert location on Val Vista is only about 2 miles into Gilbert just south of Mesa. This location has booths in the dining and bar areas. However, the bar is mulch quieter die to the lack of children. It is a family restaurant.