“One of the best !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Matta's Grill and Cantina
Ranked #235 of 914 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: MATTA'S RESTAURANTS HAVE BEEN SERVING THE VALLEY FOR 60 YEARS! Our family recipes have been passed down from generation to generation and we are committed to serving only the finest foods, made with the freshest ingredients. All of our dishes are made from scratch. Families and even out-of-town guests have grown up with Matta's authentic West Texas-style Mexican cuisine. Your dining experience will have the same great taste and familiar atmosphere you've grown accustomed to every time. The NEW Matta's Grill and Cantina will serve up your old favorites and some great new exciting dishes! If you haven't experienced Matta's Mexican Restaurants, we encourage you to stop in and start a new family tradition. We're honored to have you as our guest. Come taste the difference at Matta's!
St. Petersburg, Florida
“One of the best !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

This is authentic and good Mexican food from a family with decades of experience! Not your typical chain food....a great family tradition that has survived. Give them a try and you'll be glad you did. Try the marg with Patron.

Las Vegas
“Matta's is always authentic and always good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I liked the old Matta's in downtown Mesa before it closed. This still had some of the rustic feel, but most importantly, it had good classic Mexican food.

Visited November 2012
Southwest
“Best Mexican food in the Valley of the Sun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My favorite is the shredded beef enchilada with green chile sauce, sour cream and guacamole on the side. Their new building has dining on the mezzanine, ambiance is great on both levels. The service and customer care can't be beat! Great place to take families, and they even offer take-out! We have eaten at Matta's for decades with family, friends, business associates, and I ALWAYS take my out-of-town guests there. My cousin, who hadn't visited in many years commented, "Yep, just like I remembered it."

• Visited November 2012
Dayton, Ohio
“Good but not the best I have Tasted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

A relative told me that this was a great place to eat, but I was not impressed at all. We arrived around 7 pm and went through many chips and bean dip while waiting for our dinner. The waiter was nice but finally explained that they only had one cook for the night of 30 Jul 2012. When the food finally came, my family asked me "how was it" but I had to tell them I was not impressed, the food was good but as many Mexican Restaurants I have been too, this was average and everyone was hungry and tired from the Zoo trip earlier. Overall, the meal was plentiful on the plate, but partial bland and I actually used the left over salsa from the chips to mingle up the taste on my plate.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch and hit Mattas during 'Happy Hour'. First the good news: the service was good; the food was hot, plentiful and inexpensive. But tasty, it was not. My wife had a combo with a fish taco and a chicken enchilada. The fish in the taco was a deep-fried fish stick which both smelled and tasty 'fishy'- nothing fresh here. My combo burro had what was supposed to be red chile beef but was really just ground beef in disguise. Both dishes had beans and rice and mine had a small salad. My wife described the food as 'mediocre' and I would give it a 4.5 on a scale of 10. Don't waste your money here-there are several better choices for Mexican food in Mesa.

• Visited March 2012