“Horrible Experience”

Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa
Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed August 13, 2007

This place is horrible- the food and staff in the restaurant were terrible and not to mention there were thousands of ants in my room. I would not put my worst enemy up in the hole in the wall hotel with the Hilton name on it. Good luck if you choose to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank douchebag1

Reviewed July 24, 2007

I stayed here once before and liked it enough to come back (on business). I knew enough now though to ask for a room as far from the atrium (and morning buffet/dining/bar area, echoes) as I could get.
Internet reception even on the 8th floor was great.
The little league all stars were at the hotel and I was not bothered by them except every room I have stayed in here has a connecting door and sound does travel well through that door.
The beds are to die for but the bathroom a painfully tight fit for toilet/tub/door (see photo). Each room has a micro-balcony - the second floor rooms have room for 2 chairs, the 8th floor had about an 8 inch ledge but a gorgeous view. The balcony doors have several locks, despite this mine blew open during a storm - the chain caught it, and a swift kick secured the knob latch.
Parking is very good, there are many restaurants and shopping nearby but the hotel restaurant is worth staying in for. The pool has very nice landscaping and made it easy to find a quiet spot where I would not get splashed. There were areas of construction but they did not interefere with the ambience.
Staff were friendly and "multilingual" in my case meant that I spoke more Spanish than my housekeeper spoke English but it all worked for us. Room service was prompt, smiles were evident. Hoping to come back!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while I was in Mesa on business. This is a very nice, clean, quiet hotel. I was a bit worried when I was checking in and noticed a sign welcoming the "Arizona 9-10 year old baseball all-stars" that the hotel would be noisy, but I was not disturbed at all. Each floor opens out into a central atrium, which gives the hotel a nice, open feeling. There is a restaurant, but the dining room was being renovated, so the tables were set up in the atrium bar. The room was exceptionally clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower had plenty of water pressure (I was on the sixth floor). The reason that I say that this hotel is not necessarily for business travelers is that there is no free breakfast, and the in-room high speed internet is $9.95 for a 24-hour period. Other than that, I have no complaints against this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I were happy to get a great deal on this hotel room under a wedding block rate. This is a great spot - right off of the freeway, right next to other hotels, restaurants, shopping mall. This is an interesting hotel, with all doors to the rooms open over the bar area that serves meals as well. We noticed a lot of staff standing around at 3:00 when we checked in and just as many room service trays sitting around, and that was just on our floor! The bed was comfortable; linens and curtains were fine and the carpet was clean. There was a mini-fridge in the room that was nice to keep some drinks cold over the weekend. However, the first thing that we noticed when we got into the room was that we had to fix the door that opened to the back of the hotel (meaning outside) was shoved shut, but not lined up. The lock was coming unscrewed from the door and was jammed shut! We got it fixed, but that still left a 1/2" gap under the door....and it was 110+ degrees that weekend! To get the room to be cool, we set it many degrees below our normal settings at home. The thermostat made a very loud pop sound each time the fan would come on, ALL night long. The sink and shower didn't drain all that well, and you had to do a special magic trick to get the toilet to flush. For all of their interest in being ecologically friendly, the water easily scalded you if you weren't careful. Just wasn't up to what I personally think is Hilton's best effort.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night before flying home from Sky Harbor the next morning. What a GREAT hotel! The property is located just off the highway, close to restaurants and a mall, and about 15 minutes from the airport. The hotel has recently been renovated, and it shows. From the moment I walked in, the staff were attentive and helpful. The lobby has a modern feel, and the room was incredibly spacious. The bedding was very comfortable, and the bathroom (although small), was modern and well-lit. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I have stayed at many, many Hiltons, and this is by far one of the best. I did eat breakfast at the buffet, and it was a little pricey, but the rest of the hotel made up for it. My one disappointment was the lack of free wifi access. There is one hook-up in the business center that can be used for free, but there is a charge to use wireless in the rooms. If you're looking for a modern, clean hotel that is convenient to the airport, this is the place!

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank lirwin13
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Four of us stayed here over the weekend for the race and enjoyed the time we spent there. Checkin was a snap. Our rooms overlooked the golf course and had a small step out balcony. I was exhausted when we got back from a very late dinner (combination of time zone difference and a very long week at work), so I went up to the room and crashed, but the rest of the group had a few cocktails at the bar on Friday night. My husband said the bar staff was very friendly. Our rooms had two double beds and included a chair and ottoman as well as a spacious desk and mini-fridge.

The bathroom is a little on the small side, but was very clean and the towels were nice and thick. A bar to hang up the hand towel by the sink would have been nice. The beds were great - just the right firmness and the sheets were very smooth. We did have a little trouble using the room keys to open the back door on Saturday night, but a fellow guest came to our rescue as I was digging for my key. There is plenty of free self-parking available as well as a small Hertz Local Edition. We didn't use the pool, but there were several people there when we left on Sunday.

Breakfast buffet on Saturday and Sunday wasn't anything to get excited about - typical scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, tator tots, omelet bar, fruit, cereals, pastries. Price (about $12/person) included juice (and refills) and coffee. Evidently they do a fancier brunch buffet later in the morning on Sunday, but we were too early for that (doesn't start until 10:30). We didn't order from room service, but the menu had a lot of variety and the prices were comparable to many chain style restaurants.

Overall, this hotel was very quiet and quick to get to from the airport. We will definately consider staying here again if we're ever back in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank michlmill
Reviewed April 10, 2007

Disclaimer: My review is based on comparing this hotel to others in it's price/star range.

Hotel: Very nice. Spacious entryway and bar/loung area. Glass elevators on both sides of the lounge. The pool is in a walled-in area out back and offers a good amount of privacy while still getting a lot of sunshine. Wi-Fi works all over the hotel, including the pool area. Two outdoor hot tubs were nice in January. Excellent modern decour.

Staff: Great from the front desk to the bar/lounge to the maintinance guy. I'm a Hilton Diamond member and asked if they had any upgrades when I checked in and was given a two-room suite for the full three weeks. Hotel shuttle driver(s) were great and even picked us up after regular operating hours were over once (tip well). The co-workers I was traveling with enjoy drinking the Jagermiester and when the hotel bar ran out, we were sad. The bartender promised to have more in stock the next day and came through like a champ. Got extra cloths hangers no problem. The TV in the front room of my suite was on the fritz when I checked in and maintinance was up in less than a half hour and worked on it until the problem was fixed. Great staff, excllent work!

Room: Super. Got a suite on the 8th floor (highest floor of the hotel I think). Front room had an office area, small dining table couch and chair. I didn't check to see if the couch pulled out into a bed, but I did have a friend sleep on it and she said it was comfortable enough. Bedroom well appointed, bathroom done in good tile and marble. Towels and bedding always clean and fresh. Robes slightly to small for my large frame but still a nice touch.

Restaraunt/Bar: Hotel has a lounge/bar area located in the center of the first floor. Very hip, with glass water falls on both sides and lots of couches and comfy chiars in addition to the more traditional bar stools surrounding the bar. Drinks resonably priced for upscale hotel chain. Resteraunt is Tex-Mex and southwestern with an extensive menu. Excellent food and resonable prices. Don't miss the weekend brunch. It was off the charts. Everything from simple favorites like ham and eggs to jumbo shrimp, prime rib and tons of salad choices.

Other: Free parking at a Hitlon, unheard of! Not here. Valet parking is avaliable but since the hotel is not downtown there is extensive parking space for self parking. There is a golf course right next door. I think it's only a nine-hole public course, but hey, you can roll out of bed with your clubs and you're there. I love the location of this property, as it's almost halfway between the excellent night-life in Tempe (where there Arizona State campus is) and Scottsdale.

I would definatly stay here again and recommend ithis hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank metsisme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mesa
Hyatt Place Phoenix/Mesa
Phoenix Marriott Mesa
Courtyard Phoenix Mesa
Residence Inn Phoenix Mesa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Mesa West
Hilton Phoenix Airport
Hilton Phoenix Airport
#14 of 174 in Phoenix

Been to Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa? Share your experiences!