“No frills solid choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
California
“No frills solid choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I'm writing this review because I'm already planning my next trip to AZ. This time I'm bringing a friend and her young son along so I need confidence that where we'll be staying is safe and meets our needs, and have found sometimes these reviews are hard to sift through. I want people to know this location is one you can be comfortable and confident in when booking for just yourself or with young children.

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago by myself to see my son off to university at ASU. I stayed 4 nights in the area booking each night the same day via HotelTonight app (btw, great app!). HotelTonight lists the hotel as "solid" which is a great description - it's not luxury but it solidly met my needs: nice and safe surrounding area, helpful and friendly staff, clean and comfy accommodations. I plan on visiting my son occasionally during the next 4 years and this hotel ranks high (there are a couple contenders and at least one I'll not go to again).

A couple of things to note: parking isn't covered so be careful what you leave in your car in the heat of the summer if you're from out of the area like me and not used to the scorching temperatures; wifi isn't free unless you've a HHonors membership level that qualifies; the atrium bar is a great place to relax and the staff is friendly but don't have high expectations for the food, it isn't horrible but it's isn't notable either; there's a Red Lobster at the other end of the parking lot if the lobby restaurant is closed and an indoor mall (mid range price scale) walking distance across the main road.

Btw, HotelTonight rates were significantly cheaper so if you're able to be flexible check it out. Though the gal couldn't state how much I'd saved she confirmed it was significant and later research confirmed it was at least 40%. The catch is you can't book in advance though you can book multiple days which I only discovered after my trip which would have made a difference for me this trip but ended up working out fine (apparently the staff didn't know either). Not realizing I could book for several days I'd hang out at the lobby at noon (the earliest HotelTonight lists hotels) which is check out time (they offered to extend it to 1 pm for no charge) to quickly (3 clicks) book online then immediately approached the desk to secure the same room. One day I had other commitments between noon and 1pm so I had to completely check out and back in later that evening. What I learned this trip is that not all hotels post availability every day so you need to be open to switching hotels which I did my last day but for me the savings were worth it and the second hotel was beyond satisfactory that I recommend it also. Since i was able to be flexible this trip it worked well for me but my next trip I won't have that option and will be booking in advance.

Room Tip: The rooms surround an indoor atrium so I can imagine that if there are event going on that rooms dir...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KCSunshineGirl
HiltonPhxEastMesa, Front Office Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear KCSunshineGirl:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that we were a solid choice for you while visiting the area. We strive to achieve our motto "Everyone Leaves Happy" and we hope to see you again in the future when you return to see your son.
Thank you again and do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about upcoming packages, promotions or specials.
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Oro Valley, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is older and in need of a renovation. The location is great. The staff was both friendly/helpful or arrogant/careless individuals, depending the shift/department. I definitely would not recommend this property to anyone with allergies or sensitivity to cigarette smoke. Don't spend the extra $$$ for "Executive Level" certainly NOT worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Christine H
Dear Christine H:
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to see that you were not completely satisfied with your accomdiations, our staff and the executive lounge.
We strive to acheive our motto "Everyone Leaves Happy" and I would love to get more information from you as to how we could have exceeded your expecations. Please feel free to contact me as your convenience to discuss this further.
Thank you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great Hilton big rooms, great AC, tons of parking and an awesome pool. Breakfast is outstanding as well. Perfect location for my business meeting. Friendly staff and great common areas. Very clean lobby and rooms.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear MichealH:
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hilton Phoenix Mesa! I will definitly make sure and pass along your comments to our staff as they always love getting feedback. We hope to see you again in the future!
Thank you and have a great day!
Hyderabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I would say this is a hotel that has a good body but no soul! The property itself is great, spacious rooms, good bed, clean linen and all the basic amenities that a traveler could ask for. The location is great and close by to some good eating places as well as shopping outlets, including a mall. The issue i faced with this hotel is about attitude. I would say that this hotel has probably one of the most discriminatory staff i have ever seen in all my global travels. it is very unbecoming of a Hilton chain hotel. I have no hesitation in concluding that the hotel staff treat asians in a very derogatory manner. The experience was horrifying.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank pkbdas
HiltonPhxEastMesa, Front Office Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear pkbdas:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry that we did not fully meet your expecatations as we truly pride ourselves on embracing diveristy and we would never intentionally be discriminatory towards anyone. Please allow us to make things right and contact me at your earliest convenience as I would love to speak to you about this further.
Thank again and I truly apologize for the way you felt when you departed our hotel.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Take Care,
gilbert, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The staff was incredible! When the reservation was made I mentioned it was an anniversary stay. They emailed me beforehand and offered a wonderful treat of chocolate covered strawberries, a favorite. Don't hesitate one minute if making a choice. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

August 2013 My Father came out to Arizona from Va. to see me (it's been 30+ years)... He said it WAS the BEST PLACE he's ever stayed at. He enjoyed the hotel and staff. Beds were great, Room was Super, very clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonPhxEastMesa, Front Office Manager at Hilton Phoenix/ Mesa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Trip Adivosr. I am so pleased to here that your father enjoyed his stay with us. As always we strive to exceed our guests expectations. We hope that the next time he comes to Arizona we will see him again.
Take Care.
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton for a stay-cation over our anniversary. The staff did a lot of little things that made our stay extra nice. There is also a fun little M&M dispenser at the check in desk, which is a small thing but helps this hotel stick out in my mind.

The service was amazing. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DougK45 :
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive experience while staying with us! We always love to hear feedback back from our guests and i will make sure and inform our staff as they love to recieve good comments on their performance. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay as well as the M&M dispenser at the front desk.
We hope to see you again in the future.