“Give it some time”

Commemorative Air Force Museum
Ranked #1 of 69 things to do in Mesa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Arizona Commemorative Air Force Museum is one of Phoenix’s top-rated attractions. You can learn how airplanes were used throughout the history of combat and feel the radial engines on our Warbirds rumble as they come to life. Our museum is home to authentic war artifacts and hundreds of exhibits that chronicle the stories of people who rose to meet extraordinary challenges. Climb aboard one of the rarest B-17 Bombers in the world, “Sentimental Journey,” or better yet, book a once-in-a-lifetime ride on any of our seven flying WWII airplanes. Our friendly, knowledgeable docents will bring to life the tales of combat heroes like the Tuskegee Airmen and Women Air Service Pilots who overcame tremendous obstacles to serve our country. Watch aircraft mechanics at work and then stop by our PX Museum Gift Store for unique gifts and war memorabilia. As an educational non-profit 501(c)3, we are a great place for children to learn about the history that has shaped the United States.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I visited recently and was a little disappointed as the displays in one hanger were roped off so one could only view from some distance away. I suspect they are still organizing from a move from a previous location where I had seen the displays 2 years before.
I also wasn't sure I should cross the tarmac to view the outside planes so I let without getting close.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had not been to this museum before and were pleasantly surprised. Lots of memorabilia and a great deal of fun to see all the old planes. The highlight was 'walking' through the Sentimental Journey B-17. It was very enlightening to say the least. Seeing the other planes and the artifacts, reading the stories and watching some of the videos was fabulous. And if you are lucky, you'll visit for a while with some of the volunteers that have plenty of experience and stories to share as well. I highly recommend going for a visit and make sure you have a couple hours to take it all in. You will be glad you did!

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

simply incredible, I actually go to walk through a B 17.......I walked in the footsteps of the young men who fought in WW 2, I walked through history!

1  Thank gunhead7
Reviewed November 30, 2013

...which I did stop at and I'm glad I did. We had a mini Air Force reunion down in Arizona where one of my friends lives and we all decided to check this place out.

The museum itself has a nice cross section of vintage aircraft, such as a restored Douglas A-26 Invader named "Miss Murphy", as well some other well known staples of WW-2, like a B-25 Mitchell and a P-47 Thunderbolt. It's not the largest of facilities but don't be fooled by that because they manage to pack every square inch of it with history. You'll go from rooms that display uniforms, pictorials, and more to the hangars, which house the aircraft (some of which were in the middle of refurbishment, guts out and all so that was kind of interesting), as well as a Norden Bombsite, some humungous ancient bombs and some other stuff that I hadn't a clue about. You can then walk outside onto the tarmac to see a DC-3 and some other aircraft, all the while watching some of the more current, smaller general aviation planes take off and land at the adjacent active airport that the museum is co-located with. Still, very interesting and kind of like being in your own History Channel show when you're there.

There's an admission fee ($12.00 for adults; different rates for kiddies and seniors, I believe) and nice little gift shop that spans both sides of the entry way (t-shirts, posters, and other WW2 memorabilia). The staff are wonderful, all of whom (at the time I was there, anyway) were veterans of either, Korea, Viet Nam, and even one World War 2 guy. When there, DO ask these guys questions because there is nothing like getting it straight from someone who was actually in the action back in the day. It beats reading about it in a huge way.

FYI: I'm told they have a B-17 Flying Fortress associated with this museum but it was not present on the day my friends I visited (bummer). They do, however, offer rides for a fee ($$$$) in the B-17 and other aircraft with reservations, which is something my guy and I may try and the future because those vintage planes won't be around forever.

So, again, I went on too long but the bottom line is that this museum is worth the trip to. You'll truly be enriched when you leave, especially if you like vintage aircraft!