“A tale of competing interests”

Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
White Rock, Canada
“A tale of competing interests”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at the Painted Mountain Resort from Jan 28 to March 1, 2013, so I think I have a pretty good perspective on what worked here and what didn't. I made my booking through the corporate sales office of Westgate Resorts which is located in Florida, I booked a 1 bedroom suite for a month. Upon arrival I was assigned a room but was told that I* would be required to move to a smaller studio room after 2 days as they were overbooked. I reluctantly agreed on the understanding that I would be moved after 2 days to a 1 bedroom suite in the back of the property. When the time came to move again I went to the front desk and was told that the room that I had been promised had been given to another guest and that I would have to take a 1 bedroom room in the front part of the hotel, complete with road noise and gawkers looking into my suite as they walked by. I was so ticked off I called the corporate offices of Westgate and told them that my treatment at Painted Mountain was completely unacceptable and that if I wasn't moved to a quieter suite I would find other accommodation and check out. After many apologies and offers to make things right, they finally did get around to moving me to a quieter room at the back of the complex. To make a long story short, I moved 4 times in 8 days, really not a good situation. I would say that the management of the hotel is somewhat lacking and the only excuses for such an situation was that they were overbooked. Hardly the problem of the paying guest and completely the fault of the management of the property.
The rooms themselves were clean, and adequately stocked with cooking utensils, dishes, cups, glasses and cutlery, enough for 4 people. The room also had a washer dryer which was a great thing for a long term guest, the TV was ok but limited channels made it somewhat boring. The pool area was small and could sometimes be crowded but generally was ok, towels were provided at the pool area and there were tables, chairs and lounges all around the pool deck. You are close to grocery stores and shopping and the golf course is a short walk along the path to the pro shop and clubhouse. This is a timeshare so be prepared to deal with timeshare sales people who want you to buy in to Westgate Resorts.....it wasn't for me. Would I stay here again , probably now that I know what I am dealing with, generally after the hassel of the first week was over the rest of my stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DMartin1951
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize for the inconvience of the first part of your stay and are glad you found the rest of your stay enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a great three star property. I stayed here for a one night staycation. Initially I wanted to return to the Legacy Golf Resort, but this was about half the rate for the night and I figured why not try something new. It looks like they've upgraded some of the furniture and threw some paint on the walks (based on other reviews I've read). But they're far from done. Box tv's, a stereo with a tape deck, old carpet, and dining room chairs and bars tools that shouldn't even be legal. It was very clean, bed was comfy, and I had a wonderful view of the golf course. David Siegel once said that Westgate Resorts is the Rolls Royce of the timeshare industry. I'm not so sure how much I'd agree on that statement, but I enjoyed my stay and would come back again. The $9.99 wifi didn't bother me, but the slowness certainly did. And the 10am checkout time was not popular with my party and me.

• Stayed February 2013
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are still in progress with the updates and changes. Hope you will take the time to stay with us again.
De Leon Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our first visit to AZ for a family event. Got a great deal on a two bedroom villa and couldn't have been happier. Villa was clean and spacious and grounds were well-kept. Finding our villa at night (upon arrival only) was a little difficult, however, we highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We were in a two bedroom villa on the second floor and it was completely private. First floor vill...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lori B
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your great review. We are very glad you enjoyed your experience with us. I hope the family event had a good turn out. Hope you will come back and visit us again sometime.
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed a Westgate Painted Mountain resort in November 2012 for a week. I had a studio that was comfortable but I thought there should have been a dvd player for an alternative to limited tv programming. Staff was helpful but one of them should brush up on giving directions. Didn't use the pool but did the hot tub once. My favorite part was the restaurant next door with a great happy hour and deck overlooking the golf course and a view to painted mountain. The bartenders and staff were excellent, friendly and some great options for food. I would stay there again just for the happy hour with friendly people.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank busterkey
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for the great review, glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon.
Northiam, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have just stayed at the above resort from 15.12.12 to 29.12.12., the two bedroomed, two bathroom apartment was very spacious and the grounds were very well kept. Not far from the resort (top of power Road) was a Golden Corral and once we discovered this we were able to dine out very cheaply and well. The staff at the resort were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The only down side was the noise from the traffic on Mckellips Road. Would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If possible choose a room at the back away from the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for leaving us such a great review. It is our goal to provide an exceptional vacation experience for each of our guests. I will pass on to the staff your comments. Hope to see you soon.
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in a one bedroom villa that was an excellent value for Westgate owners. The ground floor villa was clean and appropriate for our stay. We have stayed often in the 2-bedroom villas; sometimes twice a year. Our experiences have all been A to A+. The location on McKellips is great, close to grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants and shopping malls along McKellips Road or a block or two off McKellips. It is also close to the 202 expressway that takes you to the airport in less than half an hour. You need a car when staying here.

The grounds, golf course, and pool areas have always been immaculate. If you’re lucky enough to get a villa on the golf course, you’ll get a glimpse of the area’s wildlife in the mornings and evenings. We love it and with the exception on one time, our visits have always been wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing golf course are very nice, quiet and secluded from street noise
2 Thank Traveler74508
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Painted Mountain Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad we were able to provide a quality vacation experience for you and your husband. We look forward to seeing you next visit.
Clinton Township
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife & I were there in mid-Dec. Recommended by my daughter who lives in Mesa. Have paid more for Holiday Inn,La Quinta, etc. & not nearly as nice ! Great grounds, unbelievably green grass & well-maintained grounds! And QUIET !! Wish we could have stayed more than the 2 nites !

1 Thank William S
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you giving us a great review. Hope to see you again soon.