“Looks good but I didn't sleep well”

Orquideas Hotel & Cabanas
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
London
“Looks good but I didn't sleep well”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Good things first. The receptionist was friendly, helpful and spoke English. There is free computer use and wifi in Reception.

The hotel is large but it was largely empty when I stayed. It was also 5 kms from town which means you either have to take the bus or a cab into town. Not very expensive and there are a few cabs avaialable- cab one way was 20 pesos - but not very convenient.

There's a nice looking spa and pool area although the water in the pool was too cold for me to try.

The restaurant offers a buffet evening meal for 95 pesos if you don't want to go into town and you can have other options as well. I had a ceasar salad which was ok but nothing special. In fact, I didn't really like much of the food here - the breakfast had a lot of selection but I didn't like it much.

The room was large and in the hotel annexe. It was cold when I stayed and it didn't seem to warm up when I used the AC. On my first night there was a family next door and it's clear that the walls aren't that thick. Also, the bed had those long pillows which I think makes it much more difficult to get a good night's sleep. And I didn't.

Probably a harsh rating here because the staff was nice but I just didn't get a good night's sleep and it's out of town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This is a lovely place to stay, wish we had more time to spend there. The decor is somewhat outdated, but rooms are large and the grounds are beautiful. The pool area is very nice and the service is great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmilyB6
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2011

While waiting for a pick-up to the airport, two men in the lobby who had pretended to be guests of the hotel distracted my mother and ran off with one of our bags. Since the staff talked and joked extensively with the two "guests," there was no reason for her to suspect how unsafe the hotel lobby environment actually is. At best, the staffers are incredibly ignorant of how dangerous their hotel environment is. At worst, they are complicit with the robbing of hotel guests and do not aid them because they already know there are regular thefts in the hotel and don't care. Besides, guests eventually have to leave.

When we asked the hotel staff for help, they all ran behind the desk or disappeared and ignored us. Worse, they blamed us for being robbed! The staff admitted there are no video cameras or security and that it was our fault since we should have known there are no secure places in the hotel except the hotel safe! (Really?) When we asked to call the police or to file a police report, the front desk told us sullenly and angrily that if we wanted to talk to the police, we would have to take a taxi to the police station. They would not be assisting us or helping us. We had to force them into taking our contact information in case the bag was ever found. I doubt they even knew what to do with it.

ADVICE:Be extremely careful in the hotel's public areas, such as the pool, the dining area, and the hotel lobby. If possible, keep everything on your body where thieves cannot get to it. Do not keep your eyes and hands off your belongings at any time. Do not rely on the staff to be helpful should you need them to be. Suspect everyone. There is no security in hotel. The hotel is open to the elements and to all people. This is a FLEABAG establishment where you should not let your guard down EVER.

Room Tip: Don't. Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2011
8 Thank LarissaU_NY
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed April 9, 2011

My Spanish immersion class stayed here on our third stop of the Argentine tour. It was a bit of jungle paradise! The pool area was relaxing, large, and beautiful. Although this property is right on the main highway, once inside, its barely noticable. The central location is a short cab ride to both Puerto Iguazu and Iguazu Falls and it is walking distance to several interesting attractions. (Wild animal rehab center, museums)

We guessed that it was built in the 40's or 50's by design, one level, open hallways, open beam construction. All-in-all it's quaint. There are in-room safes, fully appointed baths, mini fridge and AC. The television in our room didn't work, and others in our group said the same. I never reported it because I didn't care, I wasn't there to watch television.

The staff was helpful and friendly, the restaurant was decent. Buffet style breakfast and dinner, not the best I've ever had but adequate and abundant food.

Don't stay here if you have an aversion to wildlife. It's the jungle folks, there are frogs, geckos, insects, and birds. It was fun to watch the hotel desk manager expertly catch a swallow that had been trapped in the lobby. Clearly he'd done it before. I've included a photo of the cool frog that was in our hallway near our door.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank cktraveloptions
virginia
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Unless there are different standards in Iguazu, I was very surprised that this is considered a 4 star hotel. It is decent enough and nothing is really bad, but the rooms are very dated and not cozy. I wouldn´t have been so surprised by the rooms if this was a 3 star. Folks at front desk were not that friendly as we were used to in other areas of Argentina. You get used to the bugs (fortunatey I didn´t but one or two in our room itself) because you are after all in a tropical area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mvnova
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My sister and I stayed here for two nights and about one and a half days. Basically the hotel is outside.

The hotel served our needs for the most part but a few things weren't so good.
- The air conditioning in our room was loud even when we turned it on and it dripped some sort of fluid
- The TV was annoying to use because you had to hold the remote control at the exact right angle to change the channel and the quality wasn't too good either
- There was no clock in our room
- The fan in the room did not work
- To use the safe we had to get the lock from the front desk which was odd so we did not do it
- Dinner was limited unless you wanted the buffet which was 80 pesos (20 USD) so it is kind of expensive for food that did not look good (we wen't across the street instead which was reasonably priced but the food was mediocre and the service was so bad that we had to stand up repeatedly to get service and for them to notice we were even there)
- The staff was unresponsive and kind of creepy
- The sounds coming from the outside areas of the hotel creeped us out (reminded us of a horror movie in a jungle)

All these things were negative but did not deter us from the hotel so much. What really was the problem were the bugs. The bugs were the biggest I have seen. I went into the Iguasu forest and falls and did not see as big of bugs as I did in the hotel.

Overall unless you like HUGE bugs don't go here.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank jonomw
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 22, 2010

The people at the reception (except two) are not willing to help or assist in arranging things for you - not really representing the 4 stars it has... Only Spanish speaking and not even trying to ask a colleague to help you out. The park behind the hotel is great and you see lots of special trees etc. The swimming pool is nice. There is a indoor game room with table tennis and billiard, but the equipment needs to be repaired. The buffet in the restaurant is good and the waiters are very friendly and polite, great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple