“Very Gracious Host”

Secret Garden Iguazu B&B
Ranked #1 of 52 Puerto Iguazu B&B and Inns
“Very Gracious Host”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Mr. Fernandez was an excellent post. He actually took us on a short tour of Iguazu in his truck on our arrival. The Bed and Breakfast is very clean and somewhat spartan. The mattress in room 3 needs replacement. At about 7 p.m. Mr. Fernandez put out a some tasty tapas and drinks. Breakfast was an excellent.Value was excellent!

Room Tip: since this place is in town you need to take a taxi to the falls.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank colegw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013

After much research we decided to stay at Secret Garden for 2 nights and were not disappointed. John is a very interesting person and a great host. He was able to explain everything we needed to know whilst visiting Iquazu. He arranged good transport for us and had good recommendations for dinner. Breakfast was great as were the evening drinks and snacks. Fantastic value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I just wanted to particularly mark the excellent service and support I got from the owner John. I had just a short time at Iguazu and he was totally supportive in getting travel and access sorted out. Definitely to be recommended especially for short stays. Bedrooms are spacious and atmosphere is tranquil. Bill

Room Tip: Look for a double
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Moe, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I learnt about Secret Garden via Trip Advisor and even before arrival I was extremely impressed with the service I received as I arranged my stay via email. John and his team were brilliant. I had a car arranged from the airport and Juan then took care of my transport needs for the rest of my stay. We arrived at Secret Garden, where John joined us in the car and provided a tour of the town, including a lovely photo taken overlooking the border of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay.

Given my total lack of Spanish, it was so refreshing to have John there to assist in planning my stay, each day I had Juan collect me and deliver me to my desired destinations - obviously the magnificent Iguassu Falls, but also the bank, Bird Park, Helicopter Rides...whatever I wanted.

Each morning at breakfast (which was fresh and delicious) and again in the evening for Drinks and nibbles, all the guests congregated with John and his partner Rosina, to discuss the plans for the day, or the events of the day, it was such a friendly atmosphere, and the drinks and nibbles were excellent also. It was lovely to sit around and chat, rather than just retiring to rooms, as tends to happen in hotels.

John is an excellent host and I would highly recommend Secret Garden for a place to stay and see the Iguassu Falls. I was travelling alone and the inclusive atmosphere of the place was most welcoming.

Room Tip: The rooms were airconditioned which was a necessity in the humidity of Iguassu, given there are only...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
buenos aires
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I finally had time to visit Iguazu Falls after several years living/working in Argentina. I choose John's B&B based on the tripadvisor reviews and I certainly was not disappointed. John is a great host, and his advice helped a lot, not to mention his arranging transport to and from the falls. Apart from the falls themselves (and the spectacular boat-ride into them) the highlight of the trip was enjoying drinks, appetizers and good conversation with John and the other guests in the evening. Exactly the kind of experience I look for when travelling. All the staff were very friendly and helpful as well. Service was top notch. Not sure how John keeps everything working in a small, tropical town in remote Argentina, but he does. Everything was as clean and comfortable and functional as one could reasonably expect. I'd love to go back and spend a few extra days to visit Brazil and Paraguay too, although I really don't think you miss much if you can't view the falls from the Brazilian side, so those who don't have a visa for Brazil don't need to get one, in my opinion. More than enough to see from the Argentinian side. Best compliment I can think of for Secret Garden is that it is a great 'traveller's' hotel. It's for people looking for a nice place to stay where you'll meet other like minded people in an exotic location. Maybe not the place to stay for people who prefer the Ritz-Carlton (although I'm sure there are people who enjoy both kinds of places!), but I think most people understand that. John has created a wonderful place that perfectly suits the location, and I'll stay there again without doubt. (p.s. I took the Via Bariloche overnight bus from Buenos Aires, and it was first class. A long trip, but I was easily able to sleep in the 'cama suite' seats which really did fold into a flat, comfy bed.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jamesinBA
California
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights recently while visiting Iguazu Falls after a cruise. John is a delightful host and we very much enjoyed discussions over drinks and appetizers in the evening. He was very helpful in arranging taxi rides for us (be aware that the Falls are 20 km away) and suggesting restaurants in town. The three rooms in the B&B are very basic but the air conditioning works just fine (and in the height of the summer, it's very much needed.) But nothing is provided except soap...so bring your own lotion, shampoo, kleenex, etc. I think that John could take the B&B further by providing some basic amenities (and he could charge a bit extra...the price is very low) Breakfast was toast, fruit, and banana bread...enough to start the day. The caipirinhas and empanadas at night were yummy. The wifi is free but it's not in the rooms...just in the patio area. All in all, good value and a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gotthetravelbug48
richmond, british columbia, canada
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We certainly lucked out finding this lovely B&B located on the Argentinian border close to the amazing Iguazu Falls. Run by a charming gentleman, John goes out of his way to ensure the comfort of his guests, from giving them a personal orientation tour of the local area and tips on where to eat, to making arrangements for transportation to and from the airport and the Falls themselves. The rooms are very comfortable with great beds and up to date amenities - a home away from home. John hosts an evening cocktail hour so that guests can meet and mingle and share stories and travel tips and relax after a day of sight-seeing. Thankyou, John, for taking such great care of us. One of our outstanding memories of this epic trip through South America!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends