“At least the knives were sharp...”
Review of Hostel Inn Iguazu

Ranked #11 of 52 Puerto Iguazu B&B and Inns
“At least the knives were sharp...”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Booked this hostel 48hrs in advance and quickly realised that I booked an extra day in error. Emailed them twice requesting a change - no reply to either mail. Arrived here from Buenos Aires on the second day of the booking and was told they never got either mail. Makes sense though - internet was appauling the entire time. Im guessing they were still on 56k modems. Room was overpriced - booked a four bed private dorm. Got a 4 bed dungeon. Mouldy, less than basic, dark, no natural light. Shower was decent. Breakfast was basic - bread, cereal, tea (and luke warm water). Coffee tasted like paint thinner. There was an otion to pay for hot food - eggs and tomato were good. Steak sandwich could be used to keep the door open. Staff - too cool for school; unhelpful, never had any change when trying to buy things from them, and it was dificult to get genuine advice about the park or downtown area. Always felt like they were doing us a favour by letting us be in their hostel for a few days.

In summary - average hostel, overpriced, and staff have a terrible attitude. Find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the buildings away from the main reception. Do not take a room in the dungeon aka b...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
HostelInnM, Director Comercial at Hostel Inn Iguazu, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Sorry for everything, we already spoke with all the staff and we are going to make some changes and work very hard.

We look forward to see to you again,

Hostel Inn Iguazu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2014

It is cheap, sunny, comfortable, and just really cool place to be in. The first evening we came there were some terrific dancers who just got everyone in a fantastic mood for the evening dinner and had everyone on their feet and dancing. There is a pool (shallow), so one can be in water at most times of the day and evening. Very nice food. Quite good laundry facilities, so if you have been backpacking for sometime, this is a place to unload and get all your laundry done! Be careful of the mosquitoes though...... Evenings are little difficult to sit out due to insects and mosquitoes, but if you are prepared with your skin covered, you are ok. They also have a counter you could book for site seeing - I was there in 2009. Even if you have the money to go to an expensive hotel, this one was just FUN!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MonikaAjith

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Such an awesome place! We absolutely loved our stay here. The staff are awesome, especially Leo! Would definitely come back and recommend to other travelers. The pool is awesome, the beds clean, the breakfast free and the showers hot. Don't need much more than that!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank emmmmm

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Probably the coolest resort kind of hostel I've stayed at. The location is good for the park and pool and amenities are top - just remember to ask for your deposit back when leaving, cause they may not remember to give it back (yes, lost 100 p on that account).

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review!!!!

we taking special attention to the deposit comments

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at this hostel. Upon checking in they made us sign an agreement & pay a bond which we hadn't experienced previously in the 'world of hostels'. In many ways, this establishment is more like a resort. Like the kind you'd find in various Australian tourist hot spots in the 90s.

Anyway, when we got in we found our room had been flooded thanks to the heavy rain that day. We decided to judge the hostel on their response to this & advised one of the helpful girls at reception before going in to town to explore. Upon our return we were delighted to find that it had been sorted & the room was nice & clean & dry. The rooms themselves are basic however they do have lockers & the bathrooms are generous (as far as we know)! It would be good if the hostel offered doormats to wipe muddy feet on though.
& sure, there was a kind of constant 'damp' feeling around the place but anyone that knows the tropics knows that it can be hard to combat this.

Unfortunately there was no wifi in our room so we spent a fair bit of time in the common area when we weren't visiting the falls, the town, or the wildlife refuge across the road. The beers at the hostel are reasonably priced & there was foosball, a pool table, table tennis & a tv room - plenty to keep entertained. The pool & the bar next to it are great as well.

Unfortunately the kitchen is not very clean, is ill equipped & the stovetops & ovens are hard to operate. There is no microwave & there is not nearly enough fridge space for the number of people this hostel accommodates. This is a KEY area for improvement at this hostel.
Another thing that could be done better is the breakfast- it's just another boring bread & coffee situation with little variety or healthy options.

This hostel is a fine option for staying in Puerto Iguauzu & for accessing the falls especially. It's easy to get to & from town on the buses you you want to (there really isn't much there). If the hostel took measures to make improvements in the areas mentioned above we would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lanah-jm
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your reviews..
We really appreciate them, we taking special attention to the kitchen and room comments,

Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My stay at the Hostel Inn Iguazu was great.

Staff very friendly, helpful and fun!

The jam sessions they throw every night is a Highlight! Being by the pool, listening to some good live music was so good that made me stay longer than I was planning.

I had some trouble with my reservation when I arrived, but Leo the manager sorted it out and entertained us with his music, he made us feel like home and that's exactly what a traveler needs when traveling for a long time!

Hostel was very clean, everything worked, aircon in the rooms, AMAZING POOL!

My number one hostel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Derek D
HostelInnM, Director Comercial at Hostel Inn Iguazu, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for the review, we really appreciate them

Hostel Inn
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here in a private room with private bathroom.

Pros:
Wifi
Pool

Cons:
AWFUL LOCATION
Air con being turned off all the time
Breakfast was rubbish
Not always helpful staff

I did not enjoy my stay here. For the following reasons:

- We arrived at 1pm, and were told we had to wait an hour before we could check in. This was just a standard policy and it frustrated me as it was really hot. I would have appreciated them to see if my room was free and then let me know what time check in time was. Then at 2pm there is a big queue to get into your rooms.

- They made us sign a contract! I felt this place was owned by a control freak (you will see the reasons why later)

- In reaching the room, we were assured it had air con in. It did, which was good because I was worried after some other reviews on here. However, you have to request for it to be turned on and they don't give you the remote. They turn it off all the time, and this was incredibly frustrating. If I've requested for it to be on, please don't turn it off 2 hours later. I've paid for it and deserve to have it on when I want and at what temperature I want. They would turn it off at midnight, if you ask for it again, they then turn it off again near breakfast, and if you come back for dinner it's turned off again by the time you come back.

- The place was clean, but would have really benefited from the tiles (floors and bathroom walls) having a good scrub. It was just black from mould and dirt.

- The hostel is in a horrible location. There is a cheap bus that goes into town, but it comes every 30 mins and it's not clear what bus to get back when you're in town (another thing the hostel to forget to tell you). I'd rather just be closer to town, then waste time getting on and off a bus.

- Breakfast isn't worth raving about. It's pre-measured cereal in disposable containers. The fruit and bread need to have fly covers.

- There were rules plastered everywhere in our rooms. Chill out. Don't say I must keep my windows closed when I leave, it's obvious because my stuff will get stolen. I'm not a child.

- The wifi worked in our room, I guess it depends where you room is.

- The pool is nice.

- The hostel is noisy, but bareable. There is pumping music throughout the day till midnight. We found this tolerable.

- If you got the right member of staff they were really helpful, however I found you had to ask the right questions for it to be really helpful. An example would be, we got the bus to the Brazilian side for 60 real (really good deal), however on the return journey it doesn't drop you off back at the hostel but in town. I would have appreciated this detail as we had to then pay to get back to the hostel. I also found that their information wasn't always true. Apparently no taxis would take us to the brazilian side because it was high season, however when we were waiting for the bus, 4 taxis offered it to us. I don't know whether they get a side cut from the bus operating system?

I found it intolerable to stay here overall. The main frustration was the location and the air con. I'd rather have shelled out more to go in town and saved money on cabs and buses and saved time. I don't understand why anyone raves about it here and felt the positive reviews were not representative of the place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for you comments,

This a hostel with more then 200 beds, it´s one of the best in south america.
In our web site and also in all the otas say were we are located, means that all the guest knows.

We have rules beacuse we had some many bad experiencie with many guest,
Check in time it´s a 2 pm,

We take attention to the breakfast comments,

we hope to see you soon again,

Matias