“Overpriced.....”

Exe Hotel Cataratas
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
Reviewed August 19, 2014

But then again you're paying for the location, not the hotel. We had a problem with our reservation as in they couldn't find it! Whoever's fault it was, either the hotel itself or the booking agent we used, we shouldn't have been made to sit in Reception for an hour whilst they tried to work it out - that was quite embarrassing.

We were finally chaperoned to our room only to find it still hadn't been cleaned from the previous occupants so we went for lunch and by the time we were finished it was ready. Shoebox in size - the guy who showed us the room said it was one with a nicer view (errrr rooftops?)! Received a bottle of sparkling wine from mgmt. re. earlier mishap with reservation - that was a nice touch.

Couldn't get a table in the a-la-carte restaurant on either night of our 2 night stay so first night we had room service - shrimp risotto was devine (can't remember what my partner had). Next night we went for the buffet - nothing really to shout about but nice enough. Breakfast was sufficient - bit of a free for all and too long a queue at the egg station for my liking.

So..... back to location - AMAZING!!! Great viewing platform in front of the falls and easy walk down to Devils Peak (we went before the hoards arrived!). Got wet, went back, got changed and went out again! Booked Jet Boat through Iguazu Experiences - enjoyed that immensely!

Overall a lovely stay but not quite a 5 for me. Would we stay again though - probably..... once we've saved up again!

Room Tip: We were middle of the road room and thought it was quite small. Saying that we do live in the Middl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hufflepuff33
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

The hotel is quite big, large room and coridors.
You can see that it was a nice hotel.
But- today the maintanance is bad, carpets are ripped and dirty.
We got a room with bad smell, but as we asked, it was replaced.
The SPA is very good open hours 09:00-21:00 and so is the swwiming pool.
It's not close to the city nor to the falls

Room Tip: check the room before you take it. Enjoy the Spa
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oferta10
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Well what can I say. In 1973 a 5 star hotel opens, and in 1973 this hotel was the talk of the town, in2014 it is still the talk of the town, but for many other reasons... It has not changed since. This includes the 1973 processed food menu!!!! The 1973 service, the 1973 furniture, towels, bedding.... It truly is stuck and can't get out of 1973. Ok if you like this grot and mould around you bath but I for one don't.....
And be warned!!!!!!
As I went to pay my bill which was $340 or A$2668 (ex VAT)for 3 nights, as my booking on booking.com indicates. Jumped up to A$3720.... (Ex VAT) as I had my iPad with me shown reception my original booking which indicates A$2668 or $340. (Ex. VAT). He said yes when u booked it was this price , but in $ it has not changed, I said I don't want to pay in $ I want to pay in A$ peso. He said I couldn't, I said I can as I am in Argentina and the currency here is peso, and you can't stop me. He said ok then said the exchange rate had changed from A$7.5 per $ to. A$10 per 1$. I said no the exchange rate was fixed at the time of the booking the bill is A$2668 as my booking here says in black and white.
Any how after them ringing his manager at my request and then ringing booking.com at my request (who were excellent I may add) which they were on the phone to for 30 mins to, I spoke to booking and they said I was correct and the fixed price at the time of booking is the only price you are liable to pay, as for the exchange rate at the time this was happening is A$7.5.... So basically they were lieing about the exchange rate to gain more money .
There for when paying at this hotel pay in peso and check on the internet at reception what the rate is your self as if they are doing this to every none Argentinian making a 20% plus on your expense. Pay in cash to as you will save as we'll. remember it's not your fault there economy is in trouble so don't be an escape goat to be ripped off... Better still book at the grand next door, it's more a 5 star. Even tho it's a 4.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank Silvergost
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast more than adequate plus the snack bar menu was very good.
Hotel is getting a little tired in places, a bit like the whole of Argentina. Even so we enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you.

Room Tip: Either front or rear, about the same, although rear are over the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Johngittings
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights with friends during our trip to Iguazu falls, and booked the hotel because it was advertised as being 1km to the falls and as a 5 star hotel. When we arrived at the hotel after a 17 hour bus journey from Buenos Aires, we checked in at reception but were just thrown a form to complete and left standing for half an hour with no explanation as to what was happening. There was no porter service and the rooms are incredibly dated, much like those of a holiday inn. When we booked our trip
To the falls we discovered it was actually a 20 minute drive away.
Additionally the buffet breakfast was incredibly basic, much like that of a hostel - snotty egg and bread and fried sandwich ham, plus the women working in the restaurant were the rudest I've met in South America. No smile and no conversation, just cups and plates slammed on our table....

All in all, no where near a 5 star hotel experience

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Guzenda1985
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed in Hotel Cataratas for 3 nights. Each morning, the breakfast was identical. Not one item was changed or added. Very boring. Also, the hotel must have received its stars a long time ago and one can certainly see that it was built on a grand scale. The rooms are huge but the curtaining and bedspreads are very old, as are the worn out towels in the bathroom. The shower is inside the bathtub and the shower enclosure has seen better days.
Its redeeming feature is the very nice pool area, indoor pool and spa.
Our pickup on departure was at 06h15 so the night before we asked for coffee and croissants to be prepared for us "to go". Notwithstanding assurances, these were not forthcoming in the morning.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liora B
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed 2 nights there and i can say it is good base for visiting Iguazu waterfalls. Big room and very good service, breakfast simple, restaurant quite ok, but enjoying eve next to swimming pool with glass of wine - great! Very important - people from hotel always are very friendly and open for finding the best solution for you as a customer

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple