“Good choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Balmain, Australia
“Good choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having read a few recent trip advisor reviews I nearly cancelled my booking. I'm glad I didn't as the Hotel St George is perfectly adequate for a stay in Puerto Iguazu. The reception and other staff were helpful, the rooms a good size and the bed comfortable. The breakfast is also excellent. We didn't use the pool as it was raining however it was a good size (not sure about the mosquitos though). Hotel location is perfect for buses, restaurants and shopping. A dinner at nearby La Rueda was one of the best meals of our trip.

Room Tip: Our room was next to the street however wasn't really a problem. You might like to ask for one a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
sfauntie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed two nights in St George hotel primarily, like most people, to visit The Falls
Staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful and I had a brand new room - with three beds! - in the upgraded area, I think I was the first guest in it. Very nicely decorated with super bathroom and furnishings although not quite enough furniture - only one chair but I suspect that is because of timing and that once all the renovations are completed the furnishing will be there. There is a pool and an excellent restaurant where you get a 20% discount which makes it very good value. All the staff I had contact with were very helpful, Yojanna at reception arranged a private taxi for me to do a speedy visit to the Brazilian Falls before I left even staying late to sort it out for me. Throughout Argentina I have found all the hotel staff extraordinarily helpful and friendly which makes travelling here a pleasure. I didn't check out any other hotels in the town but I can certainly recommend this one, it is easy to get around and is opposite the bus station which makes transport easy.

Room Tip: I guess the upgraded section would be the place to be as rooms are extremely clean and well furnishe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of our group tour. The lobby was spacious and had a good size lounge area where you can access free WIFI. Our room was a good size with two comfy double beds and there was plenty of room for our bags. The ensuite was clean and modern with a very good shower. Be warned that if your room has an interconecting door to the room next door then you will be in for an interesting night as you can hear everything, and I mean everything that goes on next door.
The Hotel has a large restaurant but although we didn't eat there several of our group did and reported that the food was very good. We had breakfast in the same room and it must have been the biggest breakfast spread in our entire five weeks away. It was very good.
The hotel is conveniently located to restaurants and general stores.

Room Tip: Don't ask for an interconnecting room. Try the Aqva Restaurant (at the end of the road, turn lef...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
wabush labrador
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

the staff was very pleasant, and helped me with all the info i needed to go to the park, and actually helped me make a trip to the park on my own. the location for me was perfect, close to the bus station to get to the park, by the way dont pay a lot for a guided tour, you can do it on your own for a lot less....and there are good local restaurants close by....

at this hotel breakfast was more than i usually eat, but was full of all that i needed .....fresh fruit was perfect

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We originally booked a room on the internet for 3 nights because of the great description we read in Frommer's. After traveling 30 hours, we arrived to an unfriendly greeting by the front desk person who's first welcome was to inform us that we had only booked our room with 1 guest and would have to pay extra. Fine. I guess we made a mistake but geez, the person was so rude and even scolding about it. Then we got to the room (through a dark hall because the lights did not work) and it was mediocre at best. This room would be fine if it was $20 but it was ten times as much.

This hotel is very tired with it's best days behind it. The bed was old and worn out. The furnishings are well used and the built ins made of stained plywood. The carpets throughout the hotel old, dirty and fraying, etc. Four Star prices for One Star.

The restaurant is beautiful outside at night. Inside is like a cafeteria and not anything like the Frommer's description. The night salad bar and morning buffet table is plentiful but not quality. The grilled meats were good.

We left after the first night finding availability at the Iguazu Jungle Lodge (which we adored) for less money and more services. (for more info, see that review)

Room Tip: We chose a Master Suite although I couldn't say whether it was better or worse than a normal roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelMasters4u
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed for only one night. It was ok. Service wasn't great or super friendly. In the morning I tried to go down to breakfast a bring a cup of coffee up to the room while I waited for my niece to wake up. I was rudely told I could not do that. The waiter who stopped me was a bit loud and nasty about it.
We had a few other small issues as well, but we were only there one night, so it was fine for that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Definitely would not recommend this Hotel. We arrived at the Hotel to find they had 'down graded' us, have never been down graded before.... Their reason for this was plumbing problems, and when I read some of the previous reviews its the same old story. Anyway, we were put in a room that was old, noisy because of buses parked beside and the bed sagged to the middle. We were given a free buffet dinner for the inconvenience but definitely not worth it. When we went to the Restaurant for dinner, we sat at a table that looked vacant only to be yelled at in front of everyone by a male waiter that it was not available. Not good customer service indeed..
Next day we said we could stay in that room again as we could not sleep. They said they would organise another room when we returned from our trip to the Iguazu Falls. When we returned later that day they said we were being transferred to a 'suite' but it was still being cleaned, this was around 4.00/5.00p.m... The suite was not what we would call a suite. The room had a queen size bed and a single. The furniture was old and the wardrobe doors did not fit. The bathroom had a problem with the plumbing as everytime the toilet was flushed or we used the shower water came up from the drain - luckily this was not sewerage!!!! We had to put towels down on the floor to soack up all the water - ran out of towels.
The complex is being extended but would suggest they renovate these rooms first. Lovely Restaurants across the road.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple