“Facilities & service make a great choice”

Iguazu Grand Resort, Spa & Casino
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
Reviewed April 13, 2013

A hotel with a huge outdoor pool, full spa, and great gardens. Provides a welcome retreat for when the falls are closed - ideal for a family that want some fun after a day at the falls. Great restaurant too. Friendly, efficient service. So why not 5 stars - two reasons, the style is a bit Las Vegas ish....but that's a taste thing,,,,and the breakfast could have been better....looked impressive, but the reality was less than this. If it wasn't for that would have hit 5 for me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Iguazu Grand Resort, Spa & Casino

Reviewed April 10, 2013

As other reviews on TA will attest, this property is lacking in many ways. Also note there is not one single comment from management concerning any of the reviews, suggesting only one thing - no one gives a damn, and it's obvious. To boot, it's been awarded Leading Hotels of the World - please and no thank you; I don't think so. The hotel grounds are spectacular; that's the best part of the hotel. The insane 10:00 AM check out time is a slap in the face, but then again, I saw no reason to stay and enjoy the dirty, worn, faded furniture, the tiny bathroom, the tattered carpet, the furnitureless balcony overlooking nothing, and the poor quality, expensive food on premises. In addition to a front desk that would not change nor exchange currency, the 30 minute walk into town to the nearest ATM, was not welcome. (Puerto Iguazu is a nasty, nasty town) Let me also add, the rip off casino did not have an ATM, likely the only casino in the entire world without ATM - seriously. The hotel is a solid 25 minute, expensive ride to the National Park. I plan on a return visit to this area to see more of Iguazu Falls, but for sure won't stay here. Leading Hotels of the World? Please - don't blow smoke when there's no fire.

Room Tip: Choose your room at the Sheraton in the National Park. There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Drroady
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Staying here was a treat. I took my family (8 in total including 2 small kids) here last week and I wish we had more than the 2 nights there. While it is expensive it was worth it in my opinion and fulfilled all our needs and exceeded my expectations. The quality of the hotel in general is top notch, good rooms, large bathrooms, nice views, good service for the most part. Even though it's billed as a resort and casino it was actually a wonderful place to have kids as there were multiple kids areas outside and the pools were also very nice. They even have great tennis courts which we enjoyed that were free of use to their guests.

For those looking for some adult time the Casino is also pretty nice as well. It's a little on the small side for US Standards but has a good vibe going with most games you would expect to find as well.

**the only weird note about staying here is ATM's. I figured that since there was a casino that there would certainly be ATM's as well but was sorely mistaken. They have no ATM on the property or in the hotel (not by their choice but because of some Iguazu regulation) and as a result if you want to take out money you have to take either a 5 minute taxi or a 30 minute walk into town to where the ATM's are. Also, for any gamblers out there the Casino is mostly in US Dollars but the ATM's won't let you take out Dollars nor will the Casino exchange Argentine Pesos for Dollars so if you are planning to gamble you want to make sure to bring X amount of US Dollars with you. There is a small portion of the Casino where they have games in Pesos but this only represents about 5-10% of the casino and nearly everything is US Dollar only.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gring0B
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Personally, I never recommend a hotel which does not know how to treat its customers. This hotel should immediately be stripped of its membership from Leading Hotels Of The World for this very reason. After having traveled to 35 countries in 6 continents and having stayed at youth hostels to the most luxurious hotels in the world, the treatment received at this hotel's front desk perhaps ranks, in my opinion, in the bottom 2 of all my hotel experiences (competing with the experience of being racially differentiated against in another 5-star hotel in Turkey), esp. considering that I paid $400 per night for the room.

I was on my honeymoon and I spent 2 months perfecting my itinerary around South America choosing the best hotels with the most luxurious amenities. I chose a suite at this hotel (dates: 17th-19th Feb 2013) because it was supposed to have a hot tub and a balcony with a view of the lake. When we reached the hotel we were given a room with no balcony in the room and consequently no view at all. Obviously I was annoyed because I had paid for something that wasn't there. I brought it up with the receptionist named Luciana. However, she just matter-of-factly said that this is what it is and we can't do anything about it. She basically laughed at me on my face because I wanted something that I had paid for. She didn't think the need to apologize, (wait, she did. Sarcastically. After 10 minutes of arguments.), did not relate to what I was saying and did not even call her manager. After several rounds of arguments for the next 10 minutes, she just told me to do whatever I want and walked out on me and hid in a room inside.

This is not the behavior one expects at hotels that claim to be the Leading Hotel In The World. We are not asking for a freebie. We are asking for something that we PAID for and were promised in a written document. It is not my problem that the 4th floor does not have balconies. You need to tell me before I arrive that it doesn't. You need to show some empathy. You need to be apologetic. You definitely cannot act like you are doing me a favor by giving me a room.

I do not ask that you give me a free room. However, I do not expect you to be arrogant for your own fault. I'm paying you for your service dammit, you're not doing me any charity.

The management of this hotel needs to seriously look into its training and recruitment. Most disappointed for being made to feel like a fool in presence of hotel staff and other customers for an unfulfilled promise by the hotel's management.

Raghav Himatsingka

8  Thank Raghav H
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel has everything that you wish for in this area. Staff is extremely nice and helpful, with most of the front-desk personnel speaking a fairly good English (which is quite a rare thing outside the hotel). Very clean property, with everybody being really attentive around you. Staff is making accomodative efforts for "out-of-the-norm" requests, which makes a huge impact on the client. Hotel has a good fleet of cars for transfers, with Walter being a warm-hearted and pleasant chauffeur, with good humor and nice attitude; also Luciana always carrying a nice smile at breakfast time. The Casino is the only place that you would not be sorry if you'd missed it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed three nights while visiting the falls. It's a first-class property with large rooms and bathrooms, very well equipped. The grounds are beautiful and they have three interconnected outdoor pools and an indoor pool next to the fitness center in the spa. The lobby lounge was large and attractive and their fine dining restaurant is excellent.

It's a short taxi ride into Puerto Iguazu; a small town with several good restaurants. The hotel is located very close to the Brazilian border.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here two nights while seeing the falls, first class accommodations, beautiful pool and grounds. Spacious rooms, large bathrooms. One note, shower is configured so you must stand in it to turn on taps, which is an eye-opener! Breakfast buffet had many choices. Casino adjoining hotel, did not use. Downtown is a cab ride for most, especially with the heat. Would return here again