“Nice but not as nice as photos”

La Cantera Jungle Lodge
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
“Nice but not as nice as photos”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

The hotels website pictures are nicer that what you really get. Yes, the location is impressive in the middle of the jungle. Rooms are very clean but are getting fastly deteriorated. They really need renovation. The pool is quite small as is the restaurant which in reality is less than a cafeteria. At checkout time they become a bit agressive since they want younout of there by 10 arguing someone else is waiting for your room. But when you arrive they are very nice but they send you to find something to do until 3 pm because rooms are not ready. If you can afford ir, go somewhere better.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gatototo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I chose this hotel based on extensive research on Trip adviser and the hotel website. It is reached by taxi from the airport in just under 30 minutes. They should offer shuttle transportation to/from airport.
Upon arrival you immediately feel that you have landed in the middle of nowhere which was great.
Not so great was to be met by "Hay una problema" upon check in... They had overbooked the rooms and asked us to move. As I work within hotel management myself I am perfectly familiar with and understanding of this situation but I had spent a lot of time choosing this hotel so I wanted to see the other place first and then I would be the one to decide whether I would move or not. Refused to move and this was accepted very well by the girl at reception. In general the reception staff are friendly and helpful.
Overall it is a really tranquil place with great rooms equipped with a lovely jacuzzi bath and hammock on the balcony for relaxing with a glass of wine after a day at the impressive falls. A couple of the staff do really try hard to offer great service and see that there is huge potential for the place to be much better. A dip in the pool and relaxing to the sound of the jungle birds is really nice.
Dips and falls in the guest journey: there is not consistent service at the pool side so they loose out on revenue here but more importantly the guest would like to receive pool side service instead of having to go looking for a menu. I ordered a piña colada. 10 minutes later was informed they could not make it. We ordered a bottle of white wine. 10 minutes later was informed they had no cold bottles of this wine. Next day I tried again to order the piña colada and was told that it is not on the menu anymore and maybe they should remove it. I agreed that yes, that would be the obvious thing to do. We had dinner at their restaurant the first night and the overall impression was lack of organisation and the service you did receive was more by chance than planned. We received no bread. Other guests did. The food was okay but not good enough to eat there twice. Sweat breads were not crispy as stated on menu instead they were undercooked and oily. I ordered the risotto with stuffed squid only to receive risotto with shrimps and when I queried this, the answer was "yes we do not have the squid so it's with shrimp - were you not told?" No...
We found out by chance that there is a free shuttle bus that takes guests into Iguazu town and back early evening - why are guests not informed of this?
Breakfast on the two mornings varied - they refill the buffet at a very slow pace and although we went for breakfast just after opening at 7am on the first day there was no yoghurt, cheese, ham, bread... On the second day there was all of this and more. No smiles from staff at breakfast and in general an attitude of not caring.
There seems to be no management figure present and no one leading the way and ensuring the guest has a fantastic and seamless experience from arrival through to departure. The place has been there for 3 years but looks older - some maintenance and care for the place is needed. This place has real potential to be better so I hope that someone will start paying attention to every detail and enhancing the guest experience more and more.

The water falls are so fantastic. We saw them both from the Brazilian and Argentine side and would definitely say that the Argentine side are best. Here you see, live and breathe them as you are above, beside and underneath them as well as in them! Definitely go to Aqva for dinner one night in Puerto Iguazu - a superb restaurant with great food and service. 100% attentive from the moment we walked in to the moment we left.

We did enjoy our stay at this jungle lodge but anyone coming to stay should be aware that it will not be a seamless guest journey...

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EnhancedUniqueness
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I would stay here again. You are far from town but from everything I read and have heard, you will not miss much. You are here for the falls.

Note, service in the restaurant is slow, but the staff is trying. Attention foreigners, you are not in your home country! EVERYTHING is slow in Argentina. ALL restaurants and coffee shops are slow in Argentina. DO NOT take it personal. Room service is SLOW in Argentina. EVERYTHING is slow and bureaucratic in Argentina. If you are in a hurry to eat - you have come to the wrong country. That being said, I really like this place.

I will say, I feel the management has the place understaffed. I am sure it is hard to get seasoned staff out here as the tips must be low. The restaurant does not seat that many people and the hotel doesn't hold that many people. I would assume, this is the the reason for the young staff but they are trying.

I would stay here again. The evening jungle noise is wonderful. The staff was friendly. The beds are comfortable. The showers work. The food is good enough (typical for Argentina) and the drinks are cold and served poolside. Everything is a bit expensive but that is the new normal in Argentina. Great pool after a hot day by the way.

Negatives - yes restaurant service is slow but why are you in a hurry in Argentina? Yes the breakfast is boring but welcome to Argentinian breakfasts. The locals are still stuffed from beef dinners and are not used to northern farmers breakfasts.

Here is a to do list for the management, get more chairs for your room decks and hammocks for every room. It's not that hard and you can afford it. Serve peanuts or something with the bar drinks - it only makes people want more. Let people know about your loan bicycles and walking tours, we heard this from guests.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank comfortoverspeed
Littleton, CO
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We flew into Iguazu and found a taxi to take 4 people to La Cantera, expect to pay around $15 but inflation has hit Argentina. La Cantera is away from town about 3 miles which makes it quiet and in the jungle. We arranged with our taxi to be picked up the next morning and taken to the falls, picked up at 4 pm. and be taken to the hotel for $30. The hotel has this service but it is in a van of 12 people, the price was slightly higher. The staff was great and if you speak a little spanish it will help, but their english was fine. The rooms were comfortable as was the bed, we had room 132 a bottom room of the duplex, easy in and out, but some noise from upstairs. The dinner our first night was slow, but delicious try the local fish. The next night we took the complementary shuttle at 6:30pm and ate a wonderful meal at Aqva. You must tell them you have to make the return shuttle at 8 pm or be prepared to pay a taxi. They can do it if you ask. The hotel arranged to have thier taxi service take us to the airport for $25 the price will go up as the peso is devalued. The hotel was a choice in a package program through Expedia and it turned out to be a good choice. We could have spent more, but you are there to see the falls and a little bit of the town so 3 days and two nights should cover it.

Room Tip: The rooms are built as a four plex lower are easy walk in and out. Upper rooms have stairs but to no...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Has its merits by being quiet in jungle location but if you want to eat out or shop it's a taxi every time. Suited us as we spent most of our time at the Falls and the rest relaxing. Rooms in isolated blocks of eight a short distance from the reception/restaurant hub, which was fine until the tropical downpour! We stayed in for dinner, the food was good, but get in early as the service is quite slow. They had a BBQ evening with guitarist while we were there which was good. The swimming pool was also pleasant but they were short of reclining seats for the number of users. This is for people who don't do the big brand hotels and want something individual.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
West Bay, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Being in the hospitality trade (I am a mere waiter) I know only too well the benefits of Tripadvisor in helping people plan their stay, it can also (in the case of balanced constructive reviews) help businesses to improve; and I have been delighted to write excellent reviews from the hotels we stayed in in Brazil and Argentina.
I do however have the unpleasant task of communicating to you just how much La Cantera let us down during our stay. I have no doubt that they will reply to this telling everyone how sorry they are that i'm not satisfied and how they hope i'll come and visit again. The list of unresolved problems grew so long by our second night that I resorted to writing a list which was alien to us on a holiday where all hotels were booked with the aid of Tripadvisor, and all exceed expectations.

How La Cantera has has the rating it does is baffling as the place seemed full of mildly disgruntled customers who were looking forward to moving on, I suspect it is because the vast majority of gusts are unlikely to use this site, lucky La Cantera. So I will let you know of all the problems we had and how the hotel responded to these. But first some good points worth mentioning:

1 - The hotel is beautiful, the jungle location, the walk ways between rooms look amazing on photos and look beautiful when you are there, it definitely has a touch of 'another world' to it (as do the dozens of other hotels with similar set ups in close range)

2 - Some of the staff are amazing, working all hours and doing it with a smile on their face, I was desperate to tip one girl before I left but she wasn't working that day and I didn't want to risk any other staff getting the money.

Bad things, from the start:

1- We booked a twin room, on arrival they gave us a double, when we asked for a twin they simply moved the beds 2 inches/6cm apart and told us there were no other rooms available. They were unapologetic, when I asked them the staff seemed unsurprised, almost as if they were used to this sort of complaint...?

2- The room appeared to be set up for 1 person, one glass, one chair on the patio, when I went to reception to ask for another chair there was no apology just attitude 'well there are no more, we'll see if we can find another one somewhere'. I am a smiley person and I know how hard the hotel trade is, I was calm and asked in a very polite patient matter, I can tell you there was no reason for the lady to answer me like I was her problem.

3- The food is extremely over priced and tasteless, you want to eat elsewhere? Get a taxi into town (but be prepared to pay them in advance for the taxi, they wont call a taxi company of your choice for you, its their taxi company or nothing, and trust me, you pay the premium, I wonder whats going on there then?)

4- I call this 'the room service menu incident'. So I noticed that we didn't have a room service menu so I go to to the club house and ask for one and told them that our room doesn't have one (again, i would expect an apology here, or at least a sympathetic tone) but I got a reply that went something like this 'well we haven't got any left'. I said 'I would like one, I would like to order this evening'. So the barman/Waiter says ok sit down and I will will find you one, 5 minutes...' so I sat down and observed to my AMAZEMENT that he picked up some things to take to some female customers by the pool and proceeded to chat to them for 5 minutes (I timed it) to the point of leaning down and having a proper flirt. I approached the other barman and said in a very calm voice 'please can I have a room service menu' and he simply replied 'he's getting it'. Another 3 minutes went by and the waiter came in from the pool and proceeded to set up the restaurant, then looked over at me, walked into the office and came out with a menu, handing it to me with a (to be fair) pleasant smile and saying 'please bring it back'. When you are in the middle of the jungle, are hungry and literally have no other choice, you just have to bite your tongue and put up with it.

5- For the safe they use a key, which is attached to your room key, not a combination. If I wanted to I could have gone out and made a hundred copies... how many people out there have access to your passport, wallet camera etc?? The point of a combination is you are the only one who knows it, god knows how many copies of key they had, we locked our valuables in our suite case. (FYI the house keeping staff were charming and despite a few problems which I shall report I am not saying we were concerned about them stealing, we just didn't want to leave our valuables in a safe to which we did not know how many people had access).

6 - They didn't replace our toilet roll once during our stay, I went to reception and explained that it hadn't been replenished and I was met with a blank stare, then the man looked under his counter and then handed me a half used, squashed toilet roll that was dirty at the end. I was not surprised by this point, this is La Cantera, you will get what you're given. We ended up knocking on our neighbours door and they kindly gave us a fresh one but said 'its our last one so we'll need it back!'. We ended up buying our own toilet roll in the town.

7 - The breakfast - I don't have the will to go into details on this, suffice to say that it was the least pleasant of all the hotels we stayed in, most of the food runs out quickly and they are slow to replace, very limited hot selection (none at all on 2/3 mornings), dried out fruit and warm orange juice which makes you need the toilet. However if you want chocolate cake at 8 in the morning, you're in luck. However what astounded us was that the ONLY hotel with a bad breakfast buffet, also had a menu of extra items that you could pay for, oh what a co-incidence. Get your wallet out.

7- Want to sit by the lovely pool and read a good book in the quiet? You're out of luck as they have a radio playing most of the day, it does a good job of drowning out the pleasant sounds of the jungle. However to be fair we couldn't hear this from our room.

The room:
This deserves its own category, I don't know where they got their promotional photos from but obviously not from our room, the walls were bare, the sockets were falling out the wall, the shelves were cheap plywood flat packed storage shelves that had been put in there to block off a door to the next room (it made the room look cheap and cold). The remote control for the TV was falling apart (you have to hold it together for it to work) and there were nasty stains on our bedding. Incidentally this stain was moved 3 times during our stay proving that it wasn't washed, just rearranged! Please see pictures for all the above. Also as well as no menu's (or any form of literature) we had no mini bar, however once I asked for it they delivered it promptly. How about that view eh? Well that could be said for occupants of the room AND people looking in (my female friend got sick of being on show the minute she walked out the bathroom), when you're walking on the wooden walkways you can see right into the room in brilliant detail, unless you choose to completely close the curtains and be in darkness. If you choose a 'deal' and are not in a premium room be prepared to have no privacy throughout your stay from the second you step out the bathroom. Please see photo of my friend on the room taken from the walkway.

Ok, next, it was 38 degrees C (100f) whilst we were there, the only water available not tap water is a small half litre one from the bar which costs £1.30/$2.00. Let me tell you when you are expected to drink constantly to keep hydrated I would expect (as other hotels do) a cheaper economy 3 litre bottle or something like that to be available, they must be making A LOT from water sales unless of course you want to get a taxi to town? Remember to pay in advance for that! and If you don't want to do that get your wallet out as you won't have a choice.

OK the strangest thing ever, like many hotels they have the signs up in the bathroom asking us to hang used towels on the rail to dry or leave in the sink or floor if we want them washing. I was more then happy to use my towel for the 3 nights we were there except for the fact that THERE WAS NO TOWEL RAIL, nothing, so we hung it over the tired looking dirty 'jacuzzi' to dry, and each day they were taken and replaced. This was surprising for a hotel that's apparently so committed to the environment.

Finally the room service, for our last night I had to eat the same old steak sandwich that though tasty I was getting sick of as it was the only non rip off thing on the menu. I went to the bar to order for me and my friend, the server (remember the flirting barman?) said 'its a problem as we have a BBQ tonight'. I said 'so there is no room service available on BBQ nights?' and he said, (as if its the first time anyone ever asked this question) 'weeeeel, if you do the order now I can do it for you' (as if he was doing me a favour). By this point it was our last night and we were both just pining for decent people who would show us the smallest bit of humility, so I agreed and ordered 2 steak sandwiches. When they arrived 40 minutes later I kid you not the chips were stone cold, not only were they cold, they felt like they'd been in the fridge, I wondered how this was possible as it was so hot outside I didn't see how else it was possible to get them this cold. It was a joke so I called and asked for more, as we got on with our lovely steak sandwiches which were piping hot.15 minutes later he came back with a tiny portion of hot chips (fries) and I said 'both of them need replacing, this is just one portion' and he just stared at me 'I would like 1 more please', 'ok' he said and walked off, and thats the last we heard of him. By this point we just thought 'whats the point'.

OK, the finally, the last slap in the face. We went to book a taxi to the airport on the Brazilian side of the border, we had accepted that we would pay over the odds but again, you have NO CHOICE here, you have to get what your given. The man behind the counter (remember the delightful gentleman who handed us the dirty old toilet roll) 'what time do you need to be there by' and I said '8.00am' and so he booked the taxi to be at the front at 7.15. We got into the very posh taxi (if you want a run of the mill local taxi for half the price and you speak spanish I advise you to organise this at the airport prior to arriving at the hotel) and we arrived at the airport, as we walked into the airport there was an empty check in desk and a lady behind the counter that said 'are you flying to Rio' when we said yes she said 'ok boarding now, please be fast'. We were very confused by this as we were an hour and half early for our flight...or were we? As it happens no, as Brazil was an hour ahead, another thing that the lovely chap behind the counter failed to mention when booking our taxi 'to arrive at 8'. I understand that it is our responsibility to know this, but seriously, is it too much for the staff to say 'well they are an hour ahead so you'll need to leave an hour earlier'. Well yes it is to much to ask, because this is La Cantera.

This whole experienced surprised me as it's the only bad hotel I have ever stayed in, on the surface it looks pretty, the pool looks nice and the management always reply to the posts on Tripadvisor, but beneath that facade lies a tired hotel that knows customers will likely never visit the falls again and is happy to provide poor service, food and value. I am writing this to ensure my voice is heard (as it wasn't heard or listened to when I spoke to staff) but mostly I am writing it for all the customers of which there were many, who will likely never use Tripadvisor and who like me were looking forward to getting the over priced taxi out of there.

Remember, in the jungle...know one can hear you scream.

Room Tip: Many rooms on ground floor are completely visible to passers by offering no privacy, try to get onto...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank William S
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

hotel was recommended by our travel agent and we did not regret our choice. it is located in selva and looks really great. it is great indeed:-) nice rooms, friendly and helpful staff.
well, it is not in the town. we used taxi (which was arranged by reception staff) to go to the town or to brazilian side of the waterfalls. it was fine, we never had problems with drivers or cars.
hotel's restaurant is nice. good food and wine. however, we took our chance and had one of the dinners in the town, at a restaurant which was recommended by hotel's staff.
if I even go to Iguazu again I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends