“Very nice hotel, great view”

Amerian Portal del Iguazu
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The hotel is located on the tripartite border with Paraguay and Brazil, the view from the pool area and pool view rooms is a definite plus for this hotel.

The town centre is a 5 minute taxi ride away, or even walkable if you're of a mind for some exercise in the heat. There are some great steak restaurants in town, the Argentinians certainly know how to cook a steak, however if you are looking for anything else you may be a little disappointed.

Breakfast in the hotel is ok, the normal spread of fruit / cheese / cold meats / and pastries, nothing special but perfectly acceptable, we didn't have any other meals in the hotel so can't make any comments there.

We saw some reviews before we travelled complaining about the attitude of the reception staff, as far as we are concerned whoever wrote those reviews must have stayed at another hotel. Reception staff were friendly and efficient, spoke English very well and didn't even smirk at my attempts at Spanish, they even made helpful comments.

There isn't much more to say about this hotel, it was clean and modern, had all the usual facilities and well trained staff, it deserves the 4 star rating.

Room Tip: If you want to have your room door open, go for a pool view room, the ones facing the front look ove...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adam C
There are newer reviews for Amerian Portal del Iguazu

Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

I've been traveling with my boyfriend for 5 weeks and we've stayed in both 5 star and 2 star hotels.. But this is by far the worst!!

The first night we went out for dinner at Aqva and he got food poisoning.. I called reception at 4am for a doctor and they said "no sorry there's no doctor". I said "what do you mean?! What do you do when people get sick?" he said "sorry but no doctor". Then I said "so when people are dying you just say too bad?!" he then said "doctor 30 mins away"... So they DID have a doctor! He then said "will you pay the doctor"... What kind of stupid question is that?! Of course I would pay a doctor!!! I wasn't sure I had enough cash on me so I asked him if I didn't have enough, could the hotel pay and I pay them back.. He said "no there is an ATM downtown (10 min cab)"... He expected me to go to an ATM at 4am?!!! When the doctors finally came they didn't speak English (even though the receptionist said they would) and he stood there chuckling to them that he wasn't able to translate... Everywhere else we've stayed at have been 100 times more helpful ESP in a medical situation!!

As we can't go anywhere I ordered
Room service.. Not only did she get my order for salad wrong TWICE.. It tasted HORRIBLE (which is hard for raw veggies) AND they charged me 40 pesos just for bringing in to my room!! (the salad was only 48 itself)!!

Unfortunately we are stuck in this dump for another few nights if not more and none of the tv channels are in English (unlike every other hotel I've stayed in) and I have to deal with awful food and service!

Please don't waste your money here!!

The only plus side is the rooms are modern... And clean.. But I expect that from such an expensive place.

• Stayed: May 2012
11  Thank Priya S
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while visiting the falls and really loved the hotel. The staff were all really helpful, especially the breakfast waiters. Our room faced the front of the hotel but you could still see out into the trees beyond the cars. The pool area wasngreat and not crowded at all. From the pool area the views were amazing! Very relaxing to sit out in sun and just stare across the river. The rooms were standard with excellent AC and comfortable beds. My only downside was that it was kinda far from downtown but since we were only here two nights this wasn't a big deal.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank willsf32
Comercial I, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Amerian Portal del Iguazu, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Dear Will:

Thank you so much for your comments. It is good to know all the service and attention were good. We are working a lot on that.
The view of our Hotel is just Fantastic! You can´t loose it.
Hope to see you on a second visit.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 4, 2012

The Amerian hotel in Puerto Iguazu, ARG, is located at eh Hito de las 3 Fronteras. From its 3 floor glass windows you can see the joining of rivers and the 3 boarders of Arg, Paraguay and Brazil. The service is wonderful. Our room was spacious and beautiful. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Maria C

Dear Maria:

We are glad to know your experiencie with us. Hope to see you soon! In two weeks we are going to open the new extension of our Spa.

Best regards.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

a lovely hotel that is very close to the nature.
may room has its own balcony.viewing the front of the hotel.
the swimming pool is a good help after atiring all day exploring iguazu falls.
there are restaurants nearby for dinner.
hotel staff are all friendly and helpful.breakfast is okay.

Room Tip: book the top room for the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank asyano
Comercial I, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Amerian Portal del Iguazu, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2012

Dear Aysano,

What a wonderful words for us! Thank you very much for all your words.
It help us to give and offer a better service although we know we have to work in some aspects.
Best regards.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor before I booked this hotel. Thanks, folks! I LOVED EVERYTHING about this hotel EXCEPT the food. Breakfast was okay. GREAT brownies! The lunch and dinner menu choices were few, expensive, and of poor quality. But the service was very good. I really enjoyed the complementary pre-dinner Caiparinha (Brazilian cocktail). Nice touch! Fortunately, there is a taxi to take you to the city center for $15 ARG or, better, the bus stops across the street to the left of the front of the hotel for $3.00 ARG. Despite the food, I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Iguazú Falls.

Room Tip: High floor rooms with river view are almost worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PJB333312741

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much to choose Amerian Iguazu after all the comments you have read.
It was a pleasure to have you here and to also know your experience.
After all these we know that we have to change our menu or the specialties.
Thank you for let us know, we will start to work on that.

Best Regards.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

On a 3 day trip to see Iguazu Falls, we stayed here. We were upgraded to a suite since all standards were filled by a German tourist group. The suite was very nice, roomy, and air conditioner worked well, and overlooked the pool and the 3 frontiers: Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay: quite a view! Breakfast was substantial. Dinner selections were only ok, but we didn't really care since the waiter plied us with Capinheiras. The only minus was that the hotel did no currency transactions, and on Sunday we found only one open ATM in the entire town of Puerto Iguazu. But I guess I forgot we are spoiled NorteAmericanos.

Room Tip: Choose a room or suite facing pool.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest:

Thank you for choose Amerian Iguazu as your Hotel during your visit to the Falls.
We feel very happy for your comments and let me tell you taht you get the best room tahnks to the group. The view is incredible, from the balcony you see everything, three countries and two rivers.
Recently we done some changes on our menu but maybe we will have to take another look.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Best Regards.