“Loved it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa
NY, NY
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2007

We spent one night of our honey moon here and were upgraded to a lovely suite with a terrace overlooking the falls. The staff were extremely helpful and setup great excursions for us. Excellent hotel.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

Probably the worst 5 star hotel we have encountered. Although situated in the National Park, this hotel is simply not worth consideration. Its mediocrity was clear to us on arrival.The fabric of the hotel is shabby, lifts shabby and grubby, bedroom, albeit with falls view, was small and shabby. Staff hopeless. Breakfasts unappetising. No self-respecting tour operator should
recommend this hotel without a quality caveat.

• Stayed March 2007
South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2007

This hotel is a three star experience at six star prices. Atmosphere is non-existent, worse than a businessman's hotel. Food is appalling, outrageously expensive, and a century behind the times.
Staff are very nice.
Loaction is breathtaking and this is all the hotel trades on.
If you don't have visa problems with Brazil (ie.because you are not a US citizen) go to the Brazilian side where there is some competition between hotels.
Peter Levenberg South Africa

3 Thank Levenberg
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

If you look at this Sheraton purely as a hotel and disconsider the location it is a 3 star or at the most 4 star property.The building reminds you of a 1970´s Florida hotel but is well kept.Food is substandard for a $400 a night hotel, be it the buffet breakfast, snacks or the restaurant at lunch or dinner.Service is reasonable, they try.Furnishings are 3 stars.

Location however is unbeatable.We had a suite that faced the Falls and had a very large veranda (on the 1st floor).Simply amazing.Access to the park and its various trails and tours is extremely convenient.If you are going to see the Falls and can afford it there is no better alternative on either side (Brazil or Argentina).Just do not expect a hotel commensurate with the price.

Stayed February 2007
NYC/LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2007

It took us 3 months to get in---they were full but I kept in constant contact with the reservationist by email for cancellations--but it was worth it. DEFINITELY get a falls view--the "jungle view" the front of the hotel is a parking lot filled with really loud tourist buses. If all they have is jungle view, request the 3rd floor and tell them you would like the quiest room. The first night there we were on the first floor, with loud buses the equivalent of Port Authority in NYC.

You only need 2 days in Iguazu, but you won't regret coming. DEFINITELY do the falls by boat tour...soo much fun, like a water park ride...prepare to get soaked. This was one of the highlights of our entire trip.

The Sheraton is a Sheraton...it's not the Four Seasons, but the convenince and view more than make up for it and be GLAD it's not a Four Seasons...can you imagine the cost of a five star room with those views? The $300/room is more than worth it; ignore the naysayers, its TOTALLY worth the price just for the convenience of being able to walk outside your hotel and see the falls and the trailhead is right there. I mean, when are you coming back? Book the hotel and you'll see what I mean. The tour operator in the bottom floor is super helpful. Follow all his suggestions, he's great. BUT we didn't see the falls from the Brazilian side...we were too exhausted and just wanted to chill. Also, we went into town for a night at a restaurant...the town wasn't really worth the trip.

Have fun!

• Liked — The view, the convenince
  • Disliked — The "jungle view" overlooks a parking lot with loud, loud buses
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NYC/LA
Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,115 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

My partner and I recently stayed one night (Mon, Dec. 25) at the Sheraton Iguazu in the middle of a 3 week holiday in South America. For the location and convenience, this hotel was well worth the money. Otherwise, however, this hotel is merely an average Sheraton in a distant location.

The hotel does, indeed, have the monopoly on views of the Iguazu Falls. Wow. Make sure if you stay here that you do get a Falls View room; otherwise, you're somewhat wasting your money. The hotel does have a great view to the Falls, unlike the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe which doesn't have nearly the same view from any of its rooms.

We stayed here on Christmas night, so dinner was a problem. The hotel was totally full and we were told we would have to wait an hour to be seated in the one restaurant. We returned to our room awaiting a call from the restaurant staff when a table would be ready for us, only to have no contact after 90 minutes. I called the hotel manager and complained and we managed to get a table in 10 minutes. (Funny how that works!) My partner and I both took a chance and ordered a local fish entree. My partner's was slightly overcooked, whereas mine was severely overcooked. (Well, it was Argentina, where fish isn't exactly the meal of choice for the most part!) I sent mine back and instead had a cheeseburger--which, I must say, was quite delicious. The next day we were informed that our dinner was taken off our bill because of the problems we experienced, which we both agreed was a more than satisfactory, even generous, handling of the matter. After all, this wasn't a Four Seasons!

I will say that we were glad we picked the Sheraton over the nice hotel on the Brazilian side of the Falls. Although that hotel looks nicer, it doesn't offer a view of the falls--which is the only reason any of us stay there, I assume!

So for lack of a better choice, the Sheraton is where you should stay if you visit Iguazu. It is an amazing Falls, and despite the time it takes to get there and back, it was absolutely worth the visit for me!

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bill R
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2007

The big complaint most people seem to have about this hotel is that it's more expensive. I can imagine plenty of hotels that are plenty more expensive (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, many Westins & "W" hotels) but they don't have the same *view* that this hotel has.

Put simply, what you'll see from any window on the falls side (the lobby, the restaurant, your falls-side room) is spectacular.

I reserved two nights at the Sheraton and had to cancel the first night (due to our super late arrival on the Brazil side; my wife and I decided to stay put at our Brazil hotel for the extra day... the Brazil side hotels knew who to call and talk to change my Sheraton reservation, which was really helpful).

The front desk upgraded my jungle-side room to a falls-side room due to me being a Starwood Gold member (the first time I've seen a really great benefit from being SPG gold!). I suspect that they try to upgrade all SPG elite members, but probably can't do it 100% of the time as this is a desirable property. Gold members also get two free bottles of water. We had brought some big bottles of water from the Brazil side so we didn't go lacking for anything. There is a snack bar down the path into the park where you can probably score bottles of water, soda, and various food-type items at a price cheaper than what the Sheraton is charging, if you just have to save pesos.

Our falls-side room (like all rooms on that side of the building) has a really nice balcony. The sliding glass door was ridiculously hard to slide open and closed, but it wasn't a big issue for me. The way the balconies are laid out, anyone even 50% sober could just slide over the partitions between balconies and onto the next balcony. If you are paranoid about security, lock your sliding door when you're not on your balcony.

The amenities in the bathroom seemed very thorough. It was very nice to see washcloths (a.k.a. hand towels) here, the first I'd seen in South America. Pretty much everything else one could need, multiple bars of soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc. The room wasn't huge by Sheraton standards, but it was extremely comfortable to us.

The staff seemed very friendly and eager to please. There was a turndown service in the evening and the bellboy didn't seem anxious to get a tip (which I did give him at the end of my one day stay)... I was easily able to convert a $50 travelers check at the front desk. That's all the Argentine cash I needed for my stay (and I used some of that cash doing a little bit of shopping at the "marketplace" in a row of shops right below the Sheraton). Parking is free here, and the bell-guy (I am not sure what the appropriate modern word is, here) parked my car in the parking lot under the hotel in the evening and retrieved it for us in the morning.

As an aside, forget doing the expensive Argentine taxis and just rent a car for exploring both sides of the falls. It is easy getting from Brazil's Iguassu airport to the border and it is ridiculously easy getting to the Sheraton from the Argentine border. Just go down the (only) road towards the "Cateracts" (falls) and turn left where the "Cateracts" sign tells you and once you are in the park, you'll see a "Sheraton" sign. Tell the park guard (in a shack on the road going directly into the park) you're going to the Sheraton and they'll give you a pass to drive on in... but you will have to pay 30 pesos per person. This is the park admission price and you'll get ticket receipts back (I am pretty sure the park admission price is not included in your room rate ;-). I didn't have Argentine pesos when I got into the park but the guard shack took Brazilian reals, too.

Anyways, back to the hotel. My wife got a Shiatsu massage which she very much enjoyed and I lounged in the outdoor pool (there's also an indoor one). The gym appears to be pretty nice, if you wanna work out beyond walking / jogging on the scenic paths outside. We also had lunch and dinner at the restaurant. At dinnertime they had a harpist playing (classy!), and when he wasn't playing the restaurant had the same (dramatic) soundtrack playing over the restaurant speakers at lunchtime. They probably need to get a collection of CD's for their music player.

I didn't give in to temptation but there are 3-4 Internet terminals just beyond the lobby. People were using them and I didn't see a gatekeeper/cashier nearby so I am 99% convinced they are free for guest use.

I wish I could've stayed here two days or longer. Oh well.

• Liked — location! very helpful staff!
  • Disliked — I had no complaints for my one day stay... wish it could've been longer
  • Tips/Secrets — try to book 2 days at a time, at least.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
La Cantera Jungle Lodge
La Cantera Jungle Lodge
#11 of 48 in Puerto Iguazu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,797 reviews

Been to Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!