“You should stay at The Sheraton International Iguazu”
Review of Melia Iguazu

Melia Iguazu
Reviewed September 6, 2005

I read many reviews about this hotel and the quality of the food and rooms. I was concerned because the reviews were not very positive. I can't imagine why people gave such a poor review. I just returned from a 5 day stay there and the food and accommodations could not have been better.
The chef was brilliant, both in the ala cart menu and the buffet. The service was great, the rooms very comfortable. No king size beds but 2 of the most comfy beds in the room. The park was great, numerous trails with numerous information station through out the park. There are many animals to be seen if you are quiet while walking on the trails. I did not need a guide as all the trails and activities were posted in English and Spanish. I did use one when I visited the Brazil side as I wanted assistance crossing that border. I enjoyed the trails on the argentine side the best. I walked out of the Sheraton and was on the trails. It was the best time I ever had.

11  Thank KayakKwazy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,195)

Reviewed August 21, 2005

The falls view rooms have what must be considered one of the best views in the world -- it really is quite something to look out on the Gargantas. The location of the hotel is great -- the trail to the upper and lower circuits literally leaves from right outside the door. The location is also ideal if you decide to take the boat trip under the falls -- very nice to be able to come back to the room to change rather than staying in wet clothes all day. The rooms themselves are tired and clearly suffer from the moisture -- visible mold on the ceiling and in the bathroom. A bit shocking given price of $240 per night. You are paying for location and view, however, so just know this and book a falls view room.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank WintTrav
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel for 2 nights, and splurged for the falls view. It was worth it. Waking up to the sunrise on the falls was fabulous. Every room has a balconey that you can sit on and watch the falls as well. And the jungle view, it's not like you're right over the jungle- there's some clearing before the jungle.

The reception staff all spoke English, the waiters in the restaurant spoke at least a little. While you're staying at the hotel you're isolated from the other cities because it's the only hotel in the park, but there are 3 eating options and the food is great. There's internet onsite and you can set up tours through the hotel as well.

Tip: If you don't want to get a Brazilian visa, I read that you can take day trips to that side from Argentina as long as it's an organized tour. And I recommend it. Fabulous views.

4  Thank stcktngrl
Reviewed August 7, 2005

We spent 2 nights at the Sheraton Iguazu Falls in the middle of July 2005. It was our second choice, but we were unable to get a Brazilian visa in Chicago because we did not have confirmed air reservations to Brazil (since we were planning to cross the border by car), so could not stay in the Hotel de Cataratas on the Brazilian side of the falls. We were actually very happy we ended up at the Sheraton.

Our room had a beautiful view of the falls and the hotel is right in the national park, so all we had to do was to walk out the door and there we were.

The accomodations were very nice, with a balcony outside the room, looking out over the falls. There is also a terrace off the bar with the same view. Our only complaint was that we didn't ask about restaurants in the area so assumed we had to eat in the hotel. Right before we left, we saw a park restaurant very close by. And the bar at the hotel served light meals, too. One afternoon we had a late afternoon tea at the bar and let that serve as our supper. At 10 pesos per person, it was a bargain. It is served from 4-6 pm.

The buffet breakfast (that is included in the room rate) was excellent and the food in the nice restaurant (we didn't try the buffet dinner, which is in a different room) was excellent, but on the expensive side for Argentina.

When we booked the round trip air from B.A. and hotel, the package included a private half day tour of the Argentine side and roundtrip transfers from the airport to the hotel. The tour guide, at an extra charge of course, made arrangements for us to be taken across the border by taxi, where he then met us to take us on a half day tour of the Brazilian side. I still can't really believe that we did it, but we did, with no problems crossing the border in either direction. He assured us that if we did get stopped on the way into Brazil, all they would do was tell the taxi to turn around and take us back and we took his word for it. They just waved us through. We had an excellent Brazilian buffet lunch and took in the gorgeous views of the falls from the Brazilian side. They say that Argentina has the falls and Brazil has the views.

We highly recommend the Sheraton. It is not inexpensive, but it is worth the extra to be right in the park and for the views. We saw a number of new hotels along the road that were not near the town nor the park, so it seems it would be easy to be stuck somewhere where you really need a car. The hotel is quite a ways in from the entrance to the park, but we didn't see any reason to leave the park, except for the foray into Brazil.

11  Thank tamiris
A TripAdvisor Member
hong kong
Reviewed July 19, 2005

I visited Iguazu Falls on 2-7-05 and spent 4 days there. We stayed in the Sheraton Internacional Iguazu Resort for 3 nights. It is a very good hotel with very helpful staff. Although the price of the hotel rate is one of the highest within the area but we find it worthwhile to stay there. The direct access into the 3 circuits within the park is very useful to us. My friend is an experienced birdwatcher and both of us love wildlife. Every morning we walked out of the resort into the rainforest area by 8:00am ( suggested by the resort ) and watched the coati, birds,butterflies etc . We were overjoyed by the abundance of the flora and fauna around. You will never be tired of the breath-taking scenery of the waterfalls. Although we had spent 4 days there, we just want to visit it again in the near future. We had joined the speedboat ride(Great Adventure) on the Argentina side and the Macocu Trail safari on the Brazil side. Both of them are terrific. For the families with kids, the Great Adventure (organised by the agency within the resort) will be a very good program for the families. For Macucoa Safari, those who love activities with a little bit of physical challenge will find it fun(the agent can also arrange jeep travel instead of cycling, boating instead of kayaking for those who prefer to have the safari in a leisurable way) .
If we have to suggest area for improvement for the hotel, the only thing we can comment is the food provided. They were adequate but was not the food expected for the hotel that charged us $220USD per night. The travel to the Puerto Iguazu is convenient and there were good food with very good price there. To summarise, if we visit Iguazu Falls again, we will stay in the Sheraton Resort.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I was somewhat surprised by the comments made by one reviewer who said that the hotel was not in a good state of repair. This had me quite discouraged before leaving the U.S. but as I had already made my non-refundable reservation, I decided to go and make the most of my stay, and was quite pleasantly surprised by what I found at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort. As another reviewer said, my room was also recently tiled, had a great view of the falls, and was in quite good condition. True, the air vent was a bit aged, but based on the age of the hotel, that was not surprising.

The hotel is in a great location, has a helpful and friendly staff, and while the food is not haute cuisine, it is quite adequate. For approximately $20 US roundtrip taxi fare, you can go into town and get fabulous meals for less than $10 per person and also explore the shops while there. (The taxi drivers will even wait for up to 4 hours in the town for your return trip to the hotel).

The entire Iguazu experience is one that cannot be adequately described by anyone - you have to experience the falls yourself to truly understand. But the Sheraton is definitely the place to stay as you are able to make your own trips down to the falls at your own pace if you don't wish to take a guided tour.

Great experience - would love to be able to do this again!

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank chariotsoffire
Reviewed April 28, 2005

I agree with all that others said. We had a freshly furbished room and it was delightful and up to Starwood quality. Unfortunately, we missed the post-dusk wildlife as we experienced a storm so violent that it blew down an 8 foot plate glass door in the lower lobby. We also lost power on and off all evening. There's a pool table downstairs in case of bad weather. I played with the work crew who got quite a kick out of shooting pool with an American gal. They were pretty much as bad as me so it worked out great. Then I got my --- kicked by a young Brit.
Food: we considered the haute cuisine restaurant, but it shares a kitchen with the buffet and I was suspicious. The buffet was fine. You can find a cheaper menu at the bar (which is kept a secret for some reason).
Also, the water bottles in the rooms are shockingly expensive. I refilled mine at the water dispenser in the gym. We also stayed at Residencia Liliana in town.

Stayed: April 2005
#7 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu
Grand Crucero Iguazu Hotel
Grand Crucero Iguazu Hotel
#5 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu

Been to Melia Iguazu? Share your experiences!