Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is as close to the actual falls as you can get, in fact it's located within the Foz do Iguacu national park on the Argentina side. Ask for a room view of the falls and enjoy a beer or coffee on the terrace. Staff is friendly and attentive, as well.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you very much for let us know about your stay with us!!
We are glad that you enjoyed the location and our services.
We look forward to see you soon.
Best regards, Cristian

Write a ReviewReviews (3,097)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a place to be.,This falls is a master- piece of beauty,you can hear the thunderous noise of the water pouring down from the amazon and the mist all over you,especially when you are on the board walk over the brazilian side This hotel is located in the Iguazu national park walking distance to the fall and can see the falls while having breakfast.The sheraton hotel has a great breakfast and numerious variety of eatable,lots of fruits.The brazilian side of the falls is more beautiful than the argentine side.Great place for the family and lovers.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good,its better to have one facing the falls.Rooms are very expensive over 300 us...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice review!!
We are pleased that you enjoyed our services and specially this magical place!!
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Best wishes, Cristian.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sheraton Resort at Iguazu Falls has the best location for both viewing the falls & exploring the park. So glad I paid the extra money to stay here. Yes, the rooms are not up to 5* status, but that isn't to say they are not spotlessly clean & quite decent. I went with falls view room & was pleased with the room & very happy with the view! At end of day, loved sitting on my balcony, having a glass of wine, viewing the falls & bird watching. Walking down to the falls early in the morning, with no one else around was a real treat!
WIFI is extra & not cheap, but you do get 30 minute free session, which is handy for checking email or printing boarding pass. Instead of bothering with the e-world, I plugged into the real & enjoyed my time here instead. My room price included full breakfast & the buffet offerings were varied, plentiful & quite good. Service was excellent on every level. Restaurant had very good food, as did the café.

Public areas of the hotel are very nice & much more reflective of what one would expect at a Sheraton Resort. Hotel has many seating areas on both ground & first floor, including a large screen TV area, a computer/printer area, with lots of stations, & many comfortable sofa & chair areas for just relaxing. Obviously, the huge seating areas facing the falls have the best views but should you want a quiet area, they exist & are very nice.

Private taxi from Argentina airport (IGR) was about $20. You must have cash (pesos) to pay the Park Entrance fee on the way to the hotel.

Tip: Rooftop view is wonderful! You have to ask for key card to access the roof, but front desk is happy to give you one, on request. Should you not have a falls view room - great place for sunset viewing!

Room Tip: Go for the falls view room; it's worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank travelsavant
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay!!
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our services and location, your comments motivate us to work every day filled with pride.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon!!
Best regards, Cristian

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location in the park saved me travel time to and from the falls as I had only one full day to enjoy this experience. If you can get the room facing the falls you will enhance your stay.
And for dinner, there was a fish, never had before, pacu, enjoyed it so much on the first night, I had it on the second night.
Do the boat ride to the falls...plan to get wet, and worth the "shower"

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the falls. It will be a worthwhile upgrade.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Greg L

Thank you very much for the wonderful review!! It`s good to know that you enjoyed our location and services!!
We look forward to see you again,
Sincerely, Cristian

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Yes this building is old. get over that fact. The inside of the lobby is renovated and quite nice. We had a suite and it was perfect. Crank the AC way down and leave it on. It takes some time to cool but after the first night, the room stayed cold the rest of our stay at the property.

I used the spa services and it was great. Great massage and my wife and i enjoyed the Hydrotherapy service. The gym equipment is a little dated but that is fine. Don't spend too much time in the gym, instead you should walk down the trail and enjoy the waterfall views. And it isn't really a trail -- it is a constructed path with handrails and solid man made wood and metal flooring.

We stayed for two nights.. the perfect amount of time we think to see Iguazhu falls and walk around the trails and relax.

The only downside is the room did not have internet access (no plug in internet). Only Wifi and our wifi signal in our room was a little weak. But the signal in the lobby and elsewhere was very strong.

And yes, there are monkeys around. as the sun went down, about 5 or 6 of them went past our balcony in search of food. They would go from patio to patio to seek out food. Great sight to see!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UTLonghorn5
Cristian B, Guest Relation Manager at Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and remarks!!
It`s nice to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and specially the spa services.
Thank you for the remarks about the internet connection, it help us a lot to improve our services.
We look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Best regards,

Reviewed May 1, 2013

First I will say that I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Iguazu Falls. The hotel is worn and needs to be updated. But you don't stay at this hotel because it is luxurious. You stay here because it is in the park. Your visit to the falls will be better by staying here. The restaurant and bar have good food, the prices are not unreasonable and the staff at the hotel are very good. Even the breakfast that came included with our room was very good. A room with a view of the falls is well worth the extra money. No you don't go to the falls to spend time in your room but waking up to the view and relaxing in your room after hiking all day and being able to admire the view makes the extra money worth it. HOWEVER, PLEASE CHECK YOUR ROOM BEFORE YOU TAKE YOUR LUGGAGE INTO IT ! We stayed in room 330. It was a nice room (needs a bit of updating) with a view of the falls. The bathroom really needs updating and the water pressure in the shower is horrible. All of that was acceptable because the rest of the hotel accomodations were excellent. The problem was that after one night in the hotel we started to have large bug bites appear on our legs. We thought it was from our walk in the falls area. If only that were true. Unfortunately we are now dealing with how to ensure that we don't take the bed bugs into our house without having to throw all of our belongings away. Look on the internet and research how to check your hotel room for bed bugs before you go to this hotel. Then check your room before you take your luggage inside. There must be rooms without bugs because we had friends stay here a few months ago and they had no problems. Hopefully the hotel will take steps to rid room 330 of the bugs since we informed them of the problem.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a room with a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anonymous5432112345
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu for 3 nights and 4 days. I chose this hotel because I had read that it was located inside the Iguazu National Park, in Misiones, Argentina. Since I was traveling alone, I did not want the ‘headache’ of arranging transportation to the park. Having it at my doorstep sounded perfect and would ensure a relaxing yet adventurous getaway.

I did not use all the hotel’s facilities. In general I agree with some of the comments that the hotel is "tired", but I just assumed this was the way it was in South America. I had just come from 3 weeks in Buenos Aires so had got used to things. I am also a hotelier myself and worked for a 5 star international chain in their Marketing department for many years, so maybe my view was also slightly tinted by my professional background. Actually, I was expecting a lot worse based on some of the reviews, and so was pleasantly surprised when I arrived.

THE STAFF:
The staff at the Sheraton Iguazu were incredibly helpful. The Front Desk staff spoke both English and Spanish fluently and were efficient and eager to help with any and all requests. The concierge desk did not all speak English, but were nevertheless helpful on all matters. I stayed there during low season so assumed that I would not have to book tour operators in advance. I had also read that the park is very easy to navigate on your own. However, I was wary about the logistics of crossing the border to see the Falls from the Brazilian side. So when asking the concierge about tour operators that go to the Brazilian side, he took it upon himself to obtain a list of companies where he phoned every single one until he found me a place (the last one available!) on one of the tours.

THE ROOM:
I had booked a double room facing the Falls. The room was clean and well presented. My only issue, if you can call it that, was that I felt that the water pressure from the shower was quite weak, but other than that I thought it was bright, airy, spacious with a great balcony and the most incredible views.

When reading the price list for the mini bar items, I was surprised to notice that there was a charge of $55 (pesos) for the corkscrew! I wasn’t entirely sure what that meant – was this to use it to open the bottle or red? Or did they think guests would take it? I didn’t dare open the existing bottle of red wine, as I did not want the unnecessary corkscrew charge.

The room had all the amenities one might require, such as the usual bathroom toiletries and hairdryer. It did not, however, have coffee and tea making facilities, which was unfortunate for me as I am the sort of person who cannot face the world without my coffee first thing. So having to put on a brave face and go down to the breakfast area took a lot of effort!

F&B/ROOM SERVICE:
The food at the hotel was OK. I had dinner in the main restaurant, Garganta del Diablo, on the first night. I really enjoyed the Peruvian Bouillabaisse and found it flavorful. However the shrimp salad, which I had after it, was extremely bland. It also came in a very high ‘soup bowl’ that made it very difficult to get the large leaves, slippery grapefruit and papaya onto a fork. I ended up not finishing it because I was too embarrassed by my battle with the salad!

Room service was interesting. The Guest Services Book advises you to dial “5” for Guest Services from your room phone to order. Yet every time I did that, I found myself being transferred 3 times until I reached the right person. When dialing “5”, I would get a very faint sound of a person telling me to dial ‘5’ (again?) Upon doing so, I would be transferred to Reception (but I thought I was going to Guest Services? Or was that one and the same?) I would then tell Reception that I was looking for Guest Services so I can order Room Service, and they would then transfer me through to the right place. I never actually knew where I was transferred to in the end because the final person would always answer the phone “Si”. Was it the restaurant downstairs? Was it Housekeeping? I had no idea. Fortunately, the lady who delivered my Room Service meals was extremely polite and professional. I ordered the club sandwich on the first night, which was quite bland, and on the second night I had a Chicken Cesar Salad, which was more salad and a few strings of shredded chicken, under a handful of tasteless teeny tiny bacon croutons. A bottle of white wine made sure I didn’t care!

Breakfast was part of the stay’s package and was also served at the hotel’s main restaurant, La Garganta del Diablo, located on the ground floor . There was a good variety of food items as you would expect from an international hotel chain, and I was happy to see that they included some more traditional South American breakfast dishes. I liked that they not only had scrambled eggs, but also scrambled egg whites! As a person who power lifts and eats egg whites on a daily basis, this was a great plus for post-workout protein meal!

GYM:
This brings me to the gym area. For my personal requirements, I thought the Sheraton Iguazu gym was perfect! The gym consisted of two areas: a machine and weights area and a studio. I would use the studio to do my dynamic warm up and stretches, but I was also able to take the dumbbells to it from the room next door. As a power lifter, I was ever so pleased to see they had an Olympic bar and hex plates. The treadmill I used however did not work properly. I do sprint intervals so seeing the time as well as being able to increase and decrease speed is pivotal. The digital display on the treadmill did not work, showing random lines instead of legible numbers. In addition, the buttons did not work well so I was unable to control the speed as necessary. On my last day, the hotel was so kind as to let me use the gym and shower facilities even after I’d checked out, as I had time to kill until my early evening flight.

BUSINESS CENTRE:
I used the Business Centre twice. You are required to inform the Front Desk beforehand that you are about to use the computers, in order for them to enable you to log in to the Internet by inputting your name and room number. The first half an hour of Internet usage is free. After that it is $15/hour. That’s $15 American, not pesos.

CONCLUSION:
All in all I enjoyed my stay. Yes there were a few hiccups with things not working, but it was not something big enough to ruin the overall experience. The location is by far the biggest selling point as you are literally a 5-min walk from the start of the Iguazu’s two main trails. The staff was wonderful, I slept really well and very comfortably, I woke up to magnificent breathtaking views, and I had a great weekend getaway. I would definitely recommend the Sheraton Iguazu to anyone thinking of seeing the Falls as a prime place from which to do so.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank preciousthin9s

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your important opinion and comments related to your stay. The time it takes to detail and articulate your experience of the hotel so well is really appreciated. I ask you to accept my apologies if something in your stay was not to your liking. As you mentioned, our staff is our best asset.
We truly apreciate your constructive comments and hope to see you soon again.
Our best Wishes,

#6 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu
Amerian Portal del Iguazu
Amerian Portal del Iguazu
#9 of 50 in Puerto Iguazu

Been to Melia Iguazu Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!