“Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff”
Review of Hotel Aconcagua

Hotel Aconcagua
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Mendoza
Brooklyn, NY
“Beautiful hotel, wonderful staff”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We randomly picked this hotel from a website so were unsure as to how it would be. I thought it was great. The lobby and grounds are beautiful. Our room was impressive also. The staff was exceptional in how helpful they were.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Andes.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2011

The room was good, reasonably large but perhaps a little worn. It had a nice view of the city, the Andes and the adjacent Plaza Italia. Good value for money.
I have to say that to that the service and helpfulness of the staff in going the extra mile for me was just phenomenal, in this case with attempting to arrange parcel post back to my home country. I have never experienced anything approaching this level of helpfulness elsewhere, this will always stand out in mind when I think of Hotel Aconcagua. The breakfast and dining areas were great, and the staff very professional and helpful. Great courtyard area adjoining these areas. I would also recommend the Aconcagua as a potential conference venue, the 1st floor area (unused when I was there) appeared very spacious and pleasant.

Possibly the only bad thing was that the room caught quite a bit of noise a couple of nights from the Italian Festival - not something I hold against the Hotel as the Festivals sound system was very loud (it was also a great festival !). Even then the staff offered to move me to another room (which I unwisely declined for reasons of convenience).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was actually my second choice, but I'm very pleased with the result. The hotel front photo is not flattering, but I found it much more appealing in person. The lobby is spacious, the room was very nice, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was very good with hot and cold choices. The icing on the cake for me was both wired and wireless internet (free) in my room, but bring your own ethernet cable. A 5-8 min walk to Plaza Independencia, Vines of Mendoza, and many restaurants.

The hotel restaurant has limited choices, but that's not a handicap in this town, full of fine dining experiences. Just around the corner on Chile is El 23 Gran Bar, which is associated with The Winery - a wine shop with a huge selection. In El 23 you can have a gourmet meal and a 4- or 5-flight selection of wines, which is superb, for your own wine tasting experience. I ate there twice, I liked it so much (it also has free WiFi). If that's not enough, the Vines of Mendoza periodically runs a wine tasting/meet-the-winemaker event in their wine tasting facility. The Park Hyatt nearby also has a gourmet parilla restaurant.

Some people (e.g., honeymooners) might prefer a more secluded, romantic location, and they are available in the Chakras area but for a downtown hotel at a reasonable price don't bother looking any further. PS: Fernando speaks English with a New York accent. He's terrific.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bobborn
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed April 17, 2011

The lobby is impressionable, however the rooms are so-so. I would call them outdated and tired. The location is good and the breakfast is good too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
São Paulo
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The hotel is not new but it's well maintained. The rooms are good sized and the air-conditioning works well. The TV was a little old and the bathroom would flood after showering.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I stayed at the Aconcagua for six nights at the end of February and beginning of March. The lobby is very clean, modern and comfortable with free wi-fi. There is also reliable free wi-fi on every floor as well as a small business facility on the 8th floor. The restaurant in the lobby is only used for the self-serve buffet breakfast (included), which includes fruit salad, coffee/tea, a variety of breads, fruit and watered down juices. I want to note the really nice service of one particular waiter Roberto who on the morning of my departure kindly fixed me breakfast one morning when I arrived too late for the buffet.

The restaurant for lunch and dinner has a really nice patio as well as a modern dining room. The food is quite good.
The rooms are small and sparse but clean and comfortable. I appreciated having a window I could actually open. There are no irons in the rooms so if you want something pressed, you have to pay a small fee. I paid for a linen dressed to be pressed, it took 10 minutes and cost $4.
The pool is really nice as is the deck. The gym is very small.
The front desk staff on duty for the first half of my stay did not speak any English but their appeared to be some new hires at the end who spoke several languages. On the whole, Mendocinos don't speak English, so try and learn the basics. The front desk can also arrange excursions to wineries, thermal baths and river rafting.
The hotel is in a great location near the Plaza d'Italia and just a few blocks from the Plaza Espana and the Independence Plaza.
The convenience store kitty corner to the hotel is kind of dirty but it has *everything* and the woman is really helpful. I bought a huge bag of yerba mate, razors and a hairband all at the same place.
I recommend the Aconcagua because it was comfortable, the staff are friendly, the atmosphere is pleasant and it was affordable (roughly $100/night including breakfast) I appreciated all the nice little nooks where I could work, such as the restaurant patio, pool deck and lobby.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rainyday3
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I booked this hotel as it was one of two left for the Vendimia weekend, so I did not have high expectations. When I walked in however I thought I might be positively surprised. But once I got into the lift I got the sense that was maybe not going to happen. Walking through the corridors over the old carpet confirms this. It seems like they started a refurbishment, but ran out of money along the way so could not finish everything.

I had to wait an hour as they could not find my booking but they had organised some wine tasting activity during Vendimia weekend which was quite nice (with lots of local snacks) so the wait was not so bad. I did have to go back a couple of times to see if someone was doing something as it seemed no-one was taking charge of the situation. At the end I got my room and was told it was a very good room. Again, a refurb not completely finished. In the bathroom the sink part seemed very modern whilst bath/toilet seemed much older (definitely not 4 star). The bedroom had nice new furnishings and a decent fake wooden floor, but it had an ugly white desk unit which seemed at least 20 years old. The room had no alarm clock and the safe was very small and old school (you have to ask for the lock and key at reception). Even though the room was big there was no chair, just a small stool. The bed was big and comfortable.

One thing I did not like was that the road noise was very bad (the room was at the end of the corridor), and windows had single glazing. I had to sleep with earplugs in.

So if is true this was a very good room, I wonder what the other rooms are like....

The pool area is nice and location and breakfast are fine. The gym consists of three machines: two spinbikes and one very old cross trainer (which made a lot of noise when I tried it briefly).

I think there must be better alternatives for the same price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo