“Great meal; great ambiance; slightly rushed service”
Review of Florentino Bistro - CLOSED

Florentino Bistro
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Florentino Bistro is a new option to enjoy a special menu within a nice environment in Italia square. Tasty fresh food, friendly service and a bit of art.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Summary: Gourmet, sophisticated, but not pretentious. Excellent food, and attentive service.
We went for New Years Eve Dinner. It was a Prix Fixe for ~$100USD including wine.

Good: The food was well-plated and innovative. 3 different flavors of brioches as a starter, flambé pear salad, ratatouille, and a grilled baseball-cut steak for the main. Excellent service. We sat in a nice outdoor patio with a view of the night sky.

Opportunity for improvement: Service was fast --- but almost too fast given it was single sitting. Plates were not well-explained on delivery, which I would have expected given the price.
Would recommend in Mendoza.

1  Thank ctimpano

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We choose here due to the good reviews but we regretted it. We booked a table for 10.30pm we were shown to our table promptly.

I ordered a glass of white wine as they had no half bottle and my husband ordered a beer. Our calamari starter arrived before our drinks. The dish was nice but small for the price $79. I was informed that the pasta with trout dish had changed to salmon but I argreed to continue with my order.

My white wine was overly sweet and not nice I ended up leaving the glass 4/5 full. For $45 a glass it was not worth it I would have been better getting one of there cheeper full bottles which started at $60 but I wanted quality over quantity.

Or starter was only half cleared when our mains arrived, the ice I had ordered at the start arrived with it. My husband got the rib eye which was lovely and well cooked. My pasta dish was average and salmon turned out to be smoked salmon which is much stronger in flavour and overpowered the tomato sauce. The dish was also very small again over priced for such a small dish.

From start to finish we were 40 minutes I felt extremely rushed. The restaurant had mostly emptied so they didn't need our table.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I dined at Florentine on our last night in Mendoza and absolutely loved it from start to finish. We had unknowingly passed this adorable restaurant off one of the squares earlier in the day. It's easy to miss but once you walk through the door, you are brought into what feels like a secret garden that has flowers and candles. Service throughout the meal was fantastic by all standards (much better than the arrogant attitude we receieved at Maria Antoinetta) and the food was also better than Maria A's and Ocho Cepas in our opinion. They brought out a variety of wonderful warm bread to start. We proceeded to have the watermelon corn salad, mushroom and cheese au gratin, calamari, and trout pappardelle pasta. All were equisite. We finished the meal with a dulce de leche dessert that was out of this world. Finally, they have a very reasonably priced local wine menu. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Christina G
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Great warm watercress salad. Would be better if less oily. Good quality rib eye steak and awesome dessert!

1  Thank Suetainan
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Having had dinner at maria antonieta the night before, where the food was considerably more sophisticated, this place seemed less value for the same pricing.

Nonetheless it's a charming courtyard eatery. We enjoyed the warm watercress salad and for mains, and tried the vegetarian penne with grilled zucchini and pistachio. Both were fresh and very lightly flavoured.

It was a good break from heavier meals but I don't think it quite deserves being listed as the #12 out of 256 restos in mendoza.