“Great experience, my favorite meal this time in Mendoza” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ituzaingo Resto

Ituzaingo Resto
Ranked #42 of 561 Restaurants in Mendoza
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Ituzaingo is a close doors restaurant in the most bohemian neigbourhood from Mendoza. The building is a loft wich shows real mendocinean lifestyle. The atmosphere is very eclectic style and combines artistic expresions (paintings and sculptures).The food is mostly tradional Argentine Cuisine in a real gourmet style. Wines are from the personal cellar of the owner (no wine list).The phrase for our concept is:¨Ituzaingo is a restaurante but still a house, welcome.
Santiago, Chile
“Great experience, my favorite meal this time in Mendoza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was our favorite meal this trip to Mendoza. Despite the fact that it was a slow weekend in Mendoza and we were going to be his only guests for the evening, Gonzalo opened the restaurant and showed us a great time.

What we loved: the atmosphere (including the lighting that was just right), the great conversation with Gonzalo and Isabel, the personal attention, the detailed explanation of each dish, the opportunity to try typical Argentine dishes including something similar to alligator, having a set menu that allowed us to be surprised and not have to make any decisions

You should not expect every dish to be out of this world, you're there for the experience and to try new things. Nonetheless, everything was well above average and several dishes (corn soup and the empanada de cordero y hongos de pino) were absolutely fantastic. The meat and potato for the main course were slightly overcooked for my taste, but the dish was flavorful and enjoyable just the same.

The price was well aligned with the quality of the food and wine, it was a more than fair price for the great experience we had. It was a pleasure to spend an evening learning and enjoying good conversation with our hosts. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a unique experience and a home away from home while in Mendoza.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Rome, Italy
“A home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Gonzalo & Tete (Gonzalo’s sweet dog) were the best hosts ever!

My boyfriend and I enjoyed an 8 courses meal accompanied by excellent wines. Food was so tasty and all came with interesting explanations from Gonzalo that helped us learn about local cuisine and lifestyles.

Food, company, wine and service made it a perfect night... a unique experience we totally recommend!

• Visited August 2013
Perth, Australia
“Unique and heart warming - a must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Being welcomed into Gonzalo's home/restaurant immediately set the mood for a relaxing and cultured experience - with delicious food and wine to boot. Gonzalo, his charming sister and his adorable boxer Tete made for wonderful company as we all chatted and shared wine while we ate our delicious meal.

The cosy home is decorated with funky art and uniquely Argentinian pieces Gonzalo has picked up from all over the place. The cellar at the entrance of the home especially stands out, as do the huge glass windows overlooking a pretty garden lit with candles. The fire burns lazily and Spanish music fills the space with the perfect ambiance to eat food expressly designed to give you a taste of the many different regions of Argentina.

The food was of excellent quality, but was served with no pretentiousness - instead, the focus of the night was on the company and the social aspect of gathering to share wine and food. This is essentially an exclusive dinner party, in fact.

We were served Cayman bruschetta (a first for us - how exciting!) with a splendid white wine, and then a couple of glasses of crisp and dry rosé with a goats cheese, crouton and corn soup which I could personally eat every day for the rest of my life and still want more. Then followed mushroom empanadas (which Ro loved, though I'm not a fan of mushies in general).

We then got to try "tomatican" which is a very typical local dish, quite similar to the Italian version. Basically a soup made from tomatoes, capsicum and quail eggs, it was a delight to eat and was surprisingly creamy - I was shocked that it had no cheese in it!

The main course was a perfectly seasoned filet mignon (I'm glad we asked for it to be cooked rare, as with all Argentinians they prefer it quite well done) with rustic potatoes, chimichurri and a light balsamic salad.

As this meal was already well over our budget, we opted not to buy a wine for the main meal (the only course in which wine is not included in the price), but Gonzalo then opened a bottle from his own collection and shared it with us. It was even more touching that he gave us another bottle of red to take home and try ourselves. Perhaps this was because we were the only diners that night, but the extra touch and generosity was delightful and much appreciated. Really made us feel like we were dining with good friends rather than at a restaurant.

A sweet white dessert wine was served with dessert, which was a shared plate with three sweet treats to sample - chocolate covered fruit, alfajors (a typical local sweet made of two biscuits sandwiching a filling of dulce de leche) and a yummy bread pudding with a dollop of a jam made from the gelatinous spaghetti squash (another first for us!).

After our meal was over, Gonzalo and his sister brought over their maté gourd and taught us how to fill it with maté yerba and hot water (they added heaps of sugar for our sake) and told us about the customs around how to drink it socially.

All in all, the night was amazing - fun, relaxed and we got to spend time with a couple of amazing people. They kindly dropped us off to our hostel and we thanked them with big hugs for a night we're unlikely to forget in a long, long time.

Phoenix, Arizona
“One of top 3 meals of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Eating at Ituzaingo was one of the highlights of my recent South American vacation. I discovered it by chance on Trip Advisor. Being welcomed into a private home by gracious, friendly, and multi-lingual hosts (and being greeted by a friendly dog), dining with an international and intimate group of about 12 people where conversation flitted between Spanish, French, English, and Portuguese... it was an experience that I don't think I will ever be able to replicate. The first few courses were served casually while we lounged in the living room - there is no menu, which I loved. Our meal began with crocodile bruschetta, then a delicious corn soup, lamb/mushroom empanadas, a baked tomato and egg dish, then main course at the table of filet mignon with potato and a dessert sampler of quince with ice cream and chocolate covered fruit. All with wine pairings except the main course! (They offer wines by the glass and bottle for purchase). Incredible value. I would recommend this experience to foodies without hesitation. An incredible evening that I will be thinking about for a long time!

Dallas, Texas
“100% unique experience with some flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We heard about this place solely through Trip Advisor and thought that we had to check it out. The previous reviews are on point - this place delivers a completely unique experience that feels intimate and authentic. You are welcomed into the owners house with a smile and glass of wine, and thoughout the evening the service is fantastic. You spend the first half of the evening socializing with other diners in the living room while enjoying wine and appetizers, then you move to a table for the remaining courses. You take the menu on faith - it's unannounced and you accept what it is. The food is Argentinian and well prepared, although the main course of mashed sweet potatoes with ground baby goat was underwhelming as a main course. Also, while we were charged for 8 courses, the most we can remember are 6. The value was ok if you pay USD cash, but you pay extra for the main course wine.

Pros
1 - you can't match the experience of sitting in a local house having wine and eating authentic food, very nice

2 - service was outstanding and professional throughout the meal

3 - food was very good, but not great

Cons

1 - you are somewhat dependent on the company as its essentially a dinner party where you are required to mingle. We had nice people to talk to, but be prepared to engage socially

2 - as mentioned before, the main course was very underwhelming and didn't reflect the price paid for the meal. Having a choice would go a long way

3 - I love dogs, but not everyone does, so you should know that the owner has a large, very nice dog that is well behaved but has the run of the place.

Final note - if they advertise live music and it factors into your decision, beware. There was a violin player who spent the entire night drinking wine with the owner, and might have played 10 minutes maximum of actual violin. Not a big deal, but we were excited by the idea and then didn't we up hearing much violin. It happens.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cxh386
Americastraveler_10, Owner at Ituzaingo Resto, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hello!! This is Gonzalo from Ituzaingo restaurante, in Mendoza - Argentina.

I wanted to say thanks for the review, that was so kind of you to use your time for us!

I read in your review that there were some things that you liked and some others that were not your taste at all. So thats why also I wanted to contact you directly. I need to apologies myself and the team about your Ituzaingo Experience... sorry.

I will try to explain (in my poor english) some of the ´not that good´ situations.

- About the number of courses. They were 8 different steps but I decided that night to put all the desserts together (3 in one dish) because of the timming. Sometimes when the first part of the night takes too long we do that. Thats why you got 8 courses in 6 steps.

- About the Main Course. Now we changed it again!! You were the last group that had the Goat Pie (thats the translation of how we call it locally). We moved back to the Filet Mignon from La Pampa because it was not easy to show the Goat Pie from Mendoza as main course (even it is one of the most tradional meals from my province). So visitors now are enjoying the Filet Mignon. Sorry if you did not like it...

- About the Violin Player: I´m sorry that you did not heard his complete show. What you saw was the just introduction...15 minutes after you left the restaurante he did the second part and, that night, there was a 3rd one around 1:30 am!! Also a mendocinean guitar player came to join us around 1 am. Is not easy for us to handle this situation because people from other coutries goes to bed when Argentinean arrive to the restaurante. Jajaja!! I think I´m not going to promote the alive music again. Musicians will keep coming to play but It will be a ´Bonus Track´ if it happends. Thanks for helping me to develope that we were on the wrong way...

Beside my letters telling you sorry and explaining why you had that situations I need to ask you if its possible to change the review to bring to future visitors what to expect from us now. I´m asking you this considering that you had 3 situations that will not happend again (number of courses, change of the main course and the advertising about the alive music). The idea is try not to tell to future travelers things that we are not doing anymore.
And if you consider also to increase the global rate after my email, that will help too. If not dont worry because your Experience Rate is what you had and it is fair to express it as.

Finally, I want to real Thank You because of your review. We are doing our best to bring a great experience when people comes home for dinner and your sincerly point of view helps us to arrive to that point. Please, feel free to tell me other details that would help us.

Saludos desde Mendoza!!

Gonzalo

PS: if you want to contact me directly email me to cocina@ituzaingoresto.com.ar . I dont know why sometimes the emails sent by Trip Advisor do not arrive well to me.