“Campo Base, a want-to-be ¨party-hostel¨ that lacks the common sense and know-how to make it work.”

Campo Base Youth Hostel
Ranked #104 of 166 Specialty Lodging in Mendoza
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Campo Base Youth Hostel was definately the worst Hostel International Affiliated backpackers dormitoy that I have stayed at in Argentina, I would not reccommend Campo Base Youth Hostel to a fellow traveler or friend. The relitavely newly established Campo Base is much like many new hostels aspiring to compete with large ¨party-hostels¨ franchises, such as Loki and Wild Rover, however, Campo Base lackd the common sense and attention to detail to ever be on the same playing field.

The very hot and cramped shared bedrooms were hard to sleep in, my bed was at the top of a triple-stacked bunk style accomidation that would seem more fitting in a over-seas military bunker that a Hostel International youth organization. However the worst antagonist to sleep would have to be the loud music which blared from the main dining and bar area located oddly to one half of the groud floor boarding all dormitory windows, which were all opened widely in order to allow some fresh and somewhat cooler air into the stuffy rooms. Unlike a LoKi or Wild Rover hostel, the rooms were far from soundproofed; there was no quiet areas to accomidate a backpacker who was in need of quiet and rest and no rules to when the bar and music was to be off limits.

My first night of sleep was rudely interupted after four hours of shuteye at 3:00 am by the hostel receptionist and group of friend who partied loudly to uptempo dance music until the mid-hours of the morning with no care or consideration for sleeping guests. My second and last night I decided to stay out later in the city of Mendoza having a few drinks of the very popular Fernet herbal liquor, in hopes that by the time I returned to my hostel at 2:30 am the volume of music would be on steady decline and I would be intoxicated enough to pass out despite the noise. I returned to my bed and made my accent to the top bunk to find my bed occupied by a newly accomidated guest who was assigned the same bed that I had been sleeping in the previous night.

Aparently the lobby reception had overlooked the fact that there was already someone, me, occupying the bed and had given it to someone else. I wanted to gather my belonging and leave that instant, however in consideration and pitty of the other nine sleeping guests who occupied the room, I was unwiling to turn on the lights and pack my things together in the middle of the night. After an hour or so of searching the computer database while I rested in the main lobby, the two lobby receptionists found be an unoccupied bed in a small, unventilated room of two double bunks and I slept in my cloth as my night-wear had been left on my previous bed which I found thrown on the floor of the room the next morning.

Checkout was at an early 10:00 am, and the receptionists argued that I still had to pay the full amount even though there was a mixup with the beds and I was apparently unregisterd in there computer database. To avoid further stress and to allow the receptionists to unlock the main gates in order for me to leave I reluctantly paid the thirty-eight peso HI member fee and left tired, unaccomidated and somewhat bitter about the rude and dismissive service that I had recieved.

I will certainly not go back to Campo Base Youth Hostel and would not reccomend it to anyone that is looking to have reliable occomidations and sleep. Hopefully my review saves some stress for fellow South American Backpackers, in an otherwise beautiful country filled with beautiful and kind people.
Cheers,
CanadianGoose

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 1CanadianGoose

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ireland
Reviewed January 31, 2010

CHINCHES-BED BUGS.
I got a wonderful welcome in this hostel and had a lot of fun with new friends there. Joanna was most helpful in Reception. However, when I had bed bug bites I was not helped in any way, I was ignored.
Bed bug bites take about 10-12hours to develop. They only appeared after a day´s excursion. I arrived back at the hostel at midnight in great distress-I am allergic to insect bites. The big guy at reception did not seem to believe me and made no attempt to advise me of 24 hours doctor or pharmacy. He had a hangdog expression and kept repeating ¨Sorry, we have no more beds¨, which did nothing to relieve the unbearable itch. He did not check the database for another bed for me. I had to spend another night in the same dirty infested bed as I had nowhere else to go at this point. Of course I did not sleep. I was not asked how I was the following day when I checked out. Not even when I presented them with the bodies of the dead bugs which I found in the bed after stripping the sheets. They did not offer me a discount or my money back. I paid for a bed and I got the ´plague¨ instead. All I wanted was some compassion and constructive support. His laziness was cruelly indifferent. When I returned from short trip to hostal there was another girl in the bed. I had to tell her what happened, its unfair and inhumane to allow anyone else to sleep there. I advised that guy at reception that he had to fumigate room, throw out that mattress etc. He still did not ask how I was. Not bad customer service but negligence. Its disgusting, don´t stay here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Aqua-Azul

Travelers are raving about these Mendoza hotels

Rio
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Well, let's start by my room. A tine room with 8 beds ( 2 piles of 3 and 1 of 2), an AC turned on all the time but no working at all, very very dark ( no windows ), dust and bedbugs all around. The bathrooms..humm..i dont have words to describe how awful they are.
The hostel is quite noisy with music playing too loud the whole time. Despite of the "no smoke" signs on the walls the guests and even the manager were smoking inside the hostel very often. Other than that part of the staff behave like they were on holidays with the guests.
I stayed there for 3 days and then a i moved to another hostel, after spent a night fighting with the fleas in my bed. They also didn't give me back my money of the remaining days because i have paid with credit card. But nobody told me that before and they kept sending me from one place to another till i gave up.
Its, for sure, the worst hostel i have stayed in my life!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
chile
Reviewed November 6, 2008

the worst service a reseptionist can give,, if you complain about anything, they wont try to help you,, they will only say it is not their fault..

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)