“friendly staff, backpacker atmosphere, sadly a little scruffy”
Review of Hostel Lao

Hostel Lao
Ranked #7 of 170 Specialty Lodging in Mendoza
Reviewed December 12, 2009

sadly that they don`t invest in their facilities - it would be a nicer place.
backpacker admosphere, a good place to meet other travler-staff friendly and helpfull
2 dogs in the garden-as well dog [--], TV Room, Kitchen, hammock in the garden, family feeling
gardenfacilities broken
pool in the garden out of order

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank jwberlin
hostel_lao, owner at Hostel Lao, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Hola jwberlin!
Thanks for your feedback. We just wanted to respond to your comment abou the property being scruffy and that we do not invest in the property. Since we have opened, 4 years ago, we have done nothing but invest in the property! We spent over 4 months rennovating with a team of 20 work/craftsmen! We paint everything every 6 months and are constantly changing/modifying/rennovating the hostel. We do not agree that the hostel is scruffy in anyway but it is very hard to maintain an old building that see´s so many guests, many of whom don´t really take care of the facilities.

Also; "pool out of order"; really? When?! I swim every day during summer and the pool was never out of order; I´m a bit lost here!

Safe Travels

There are newer reviews for Hostel Lao

Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I accidentally arrived here a day early, and the staff at the hostel was friendly and accomodating and did not have a problem with us staying the extra night. We spent two nights in a 4 bed dorm which was clean and spacious. It also had its own ensuite which was very handy. We then moved to the back of the hostel to one of the private rooms. It was clean and tidy and quiet and looked out onto the pool and garden area. The hostel felt more like a home and the staff helped to make you feel like you really were at your second home. They helped us book a bike tour around the bodegas last minute and were always there to answer any questions we had. I couldnt reccomend this hostel more. It really was a nice oasis in the middle of our South American adventure and reinvigorated us for the trip onwards.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The staff at Hostel Lao was friendly, and generally spoke English. My two friends and I were in a dorm-style room with three other people. The beds were decent, but I didn't think there were enough plugs for everyone to charge their phones or computers. The shared bathrooms were generally clean, but the female shower didn't have a proper showerhead and water seemed to collect on the floor of the male bathroom. The common areas were comfortable, and the staff had some great recommendations for exploring the city and area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My wife and I (and our 4 month old son) stayed at the Hostel Lao for two nights recently. My wife and I have traveled all over the world, and we were both raving about the hostel. It had a social atmosmosphere, but quiet enough to sleep at night, and the staff bends over backwards for you to help you with food and planning activities. This place is a real treat...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We initially booked in for 4 nights but stayed an extra 2. We got a great poolside room at the back of the hostel which was nice, clean and quiet. After our 4 nights we have to moce to the larger room (the cave) which was more expensive and a bit more noisey being beside reception - but we travel with earplugs so no drama. Whilst the hostel is not cheap´compared to others as in everything in life you get what you pay for and it was worth the money. What made a nice stay a great stay were the staff - always friendly and chatty - as we had stayed 6 night Mike (manager) gave us a free BBQ which was a lovely touch and appreciated - these small things make the difference.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I arrived and left Hostel Lao unable to understand why it is ranked as one of the better places to stay in Mendoza. The atmosphere in the hostel was dead. No interaction and it was really cold (no fire as stated on the website).

People should understand that when they say they save space for walk-ins on-line that it does not necessarily mean that you will get a bed. You will get the choice of a mattress on the floor or a hammock and sleeping bag. Neither of which are comfortable nor cheap! I slept on a mattress on the floor of a dorm which was a total disaster as there is no room for everybody's bags and you end up in the way and not having any comfort as you need to be the last one in bed and the first one up. It is also very uncomfortable for anyone who has their own bed as they can't leave it once the mattress is down.

The owner should tell customers that there is simply no room rather than trying to cash in by charging 30 pesos for the privilege. There are plenty of other hostels that will certainly have a bed for you for the same price. He also charged another customer less than me for the same 'favour'.

When I tried to speak to the owner about the situation and the price that was being charged he was abusive and totally unreasonable. Other staff members sympathized with me as they knew how horrible the situation was for me (both sleeping conditions and the way he spoke to me). The owner stated that he wished for me to leave and shouted an aggressive and disrespectful comment at me as I left the hostel to meet friends for dinner. I ended up being forced to check out at 10 o'clock at night and trying to find another hostel! Distressing to say the least, I am female and able to take care of myself but for others it may not be so.

I should stress that when I approached the English owner I was not confrontational nor aggressive. I was left totally bewildered and very disapointed by his aggressive and patronising abusive comments. The only low point in the entire 3 months so far in Argentina.

While the two male staff members are fantastic it is really not worth going there to be treated like a dog.

Other downpoints include: blocked sinks and showers, very poor and filthy mattresses and pillows which you can't help seeing as you have to make your own beds.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank travelingalien

This is the strangest review, and one of the strangest situations we have been in since we opened. This customer complained. We listened. I said I could not change the price she had agreed to pay. She did not like that and got angry. I said if she was not happy she could leave and not be charged for 1 night. This was interperated as us throwing her out onto the cold streets! Finally she left. I have no idea what other male members of staff she feels were sympathetic to her as she only spoke to myself that evening!

Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on in peoples heads!

A big thank you to the guest who has commented on this review; its nice to know we are not loosing it!

Safe Travels

Reviewed April 20, 2009

This hostel has a really nice feel to it and very helpful staff. The place is very clean and there are many opportunities to taste great wine and eat great food.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple