“Not a tourist trap, the real deal :)”
Review of Foothills Ranch

Foothills Ranch
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mayer
More attraction details
Owner description: Horse back riding in the Bradshaw Mountains. 1 and 2 hour, breakfast, lunch and dinner rides. Facilities available for groups of 10 or more. Lunch, Gunfight and riding.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

What a fun ride into the foothills and out again, with a yummy lunch besides. Al and Sandy took my husband and I on a lovely Valentine's Day four-hour trail ride. It felt more like going for a trail ride with friends than the sometimes-uncomfortable feeling of just being a means to an end for the stable's bottom line. The horses were healthy and well trained. They actually listened when you asked for something, then (gasp!) really tried to do it for you! Not the usual dead-sided, mentally checked-out horses you get at riding stables. My horse, Cash, had the fuzziest ears (well, it was February!) and I just wanted to hug him, he was so sweet... The scenery was beautiful, and our guide (also the owner) was very knowledgeable about the local area and its prospecting history. We also learned plenty about the local flora and fauna, and got to see things that you normally wouldn't have access to with a larger, more profit-oriented riding stable. This was not a ride where you felt like you were stuck on a boring track...it was engaging both in the breathtaking views, as well as the obvious feelings of stewardship and appreciation for the land surrounding the ranch. We've ridden in lots of different places over the years, and besides home, this was the best trail ride so far for us :)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Al was great, friendly and knowledgable about the area, mining history, and wildlife. An enjoyable 3 hour ride through the foothills and up into the mountains. The horses are well trained and fun to ride. Small family group ride was amazing. Looking forward to another trip the next time we are in the area.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I had a half day ride ( which included lunch). We really enjoyed the ride. It was very scenic and relaxing. Luke, our wrangler, was very nice and very knowledgable on the area we were riding. I've ridden for many years, but my husband hasn't and the ranch provided him with a very quiet horse so he could relax and enjoy the scenery. We will definitely go back to Foothills Ranch when we come back to Arizona. Thanks Al and Luke (and Buddy& Cash)!

2  Thank Carol N
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Still reveling in what a fantastic day you made for my daughter. Amazing how the 1 hour trail ride brought us through so many beautiful places. And Luke, you're an encyclopedia bound in saddleback leather and gilded with kindness!! We ought to be callin' you Professor Cowboy. =D Your horses are the sweetest, and so well behaved. And meeting Chase was a special treat. I can't speak highly enough of the whole experience. You really blessed our time.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had the opportunity for an hour and a half ride recently during our anniversary weekend and were treated to an excellent time! Luke was our guide and was very knowledgeable about the area, its history, the environment ... all the while keeping everyone comfortable and enjoying their mounts. We had only two couples on our ride and the other couple was obviously unprepared for a horseback experience with shorts and sandals, etc. In addition, we got a little rain during the ride as well. Despite these challenges, Luke kept them safe and was still able to entertain and inform us and make us comfortable in the bargain. We look forward to coming back for a longer ride next time!

Been to Foothills Ranch? Share your experiences!