“Decent Getaway”

Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maricopa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The hotel rooms are good (not bad, not great) and service is very good. Room was very clean. Pool is nice and you can definitely spend the day hanging out at the pool bar and be very content. Gaming is good and The Range Steakhouse was wonderful. I would not make this my go to destination if I lived out of state but for those passing through, visiting the area or that live locally I think it worth a try.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kurukupaa
Write a ReviewReviews (3,649)

Reviewed April 19, 2010

This was the best Harrahs yet. The room was spacious and overlooked the pool area. The room was comped and no fees like you get in Atlantic City. The casino was small but the help was very very friendly and they had coffee available all day and night so you could get a cup for breakfast. Gave me lovely chochlates in room for being a Diamond Player. Lost but that is to be expected. Would go back too bad it so far away from New Jersey.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2010

If you are wanting a relaxing vacation..this is for you. This is a beautiful hotel. The pool is DIVINE!!! BUT...there is nothing..NOTHING..to do at this hotel besides gamble and relax by the pool. I am a runner, and there is not even a fitness center...It was in the 80's while I was there, they have a foot map around the parking lot where you can run. I can not imagine running this in hotter weather. There is a lounge, but it is in the casino, and open to the casino. It has no dance floor. Drinks are $7 and up...Really, if you want to just chill out, this is for you. Unless you rent a car, you are stuck. The hotel has a grill cafe, a buffet, and The Range steakhouse (which is great, but $$$). We did rent a car and drove to Sedona (2 1/2 hours away) easy drive and SOOOO worth the trip. Maricopa is a quaint town, but you have to go about 30 minutes down the road to find anything to do. I would go back to the area, but would stay at Wildhorse Pass or Phoenix.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We went to the Phoenix area for a week of Spring Training baseball games. The facility was nice, if the weather was better we could have enjoyed the swim up bar. Stop in town on your way in to supply goodies.! The wifi and cell phone coverage is spotty- as a result we used the in room phone. Long distance direct dial calls were a minimum of $ 18.81 !! the charges ranged from $18.81 to $34.57 for short phone calls. The directory noted that long distance charges were $1.00 acess charge and 35% surcharge on operator assisted calls ours were direct dial. BEWARE
Also no fitness/workout center.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We go down often, living just 35 miles north it's very convenient. We have always had great service and a great time. Everyone is nice and eager to help. We have tried all the restaurants and enjoyed them all. We have stayed overnight a few times and found the room to be quiet and clean.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Truth be told, we are Harrah's Diamond Club members; our room was comped, and that tends to cover a lot of sins. It's a nice little place, but as is generally the case with Indian casinos, it tends to be a long way from anywhere you want to be. The rooms are modest but serviceable; frankly, you will get a much better value at non-casino hotels for what they charge as a rack rate (as much as $300!). Better to stay down the road in Tucson, or if you must, Phoenix.

On the positive side, the service was consistently fabulous. Harrah's has gone to the dogs in recent years -- they recently went private, and the new owners don't seem to have a clue as to how to run a casino -- but from the valet to the Diamond Lounge to the front desk, the effort was spectacular.

One non-obvious problem is that they can be downwind from an enormous feedlot (~10 miles to the south, and their wet weather tends to come from the south), and if the wind blows the wrong way, your visit will be decidedly unpleasant.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dissenter
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Ak-Chin is a Harray's property. I am a longstanding loyal Total Rewards Diamond member. I have stayed at numerous Harrah's properties many many times in Las Vegas, Iowa, Atlantic City, and now Airzona. . I have not been disappointed until now - I WILL NEVER go to Ak-Chin again. I had a terrible experience there. I had called to verify they have internet access. I was combining a work/pleasure trip but upon arrival, discovered that the room only has dial-up for a fee which did not stay connected as I was told by the desk. I was told they have wireless in the lobby I might be able to get. The only seating was a bench - hardly conducive to working!. It would not work. I asked for someone to help me and explained that I must have internet for business. The "only" person who could help me was in a meeting and was not available. Funny that he could not come out for a few minutes to assist a customer - the reason the hotel exists. The attitude of the clerk was maddening - clearly she did not care - even when I told her without internet, I would have to leave. So I checked out from what was to be a 3 day stay and went elsewhere. I would have dropped a lot of money in three days between working sessions. But there are lots of casino choices in Arixona who are eager for patrons with money to spend and eager to be helpful - clearly not the attitude of Ak-Chin. They also need to get with the times and provide high speed internet in the rooms or wireless. The hotel I went to had free wireless in the room, which worked great.
he room that I had checked in was nice but the casino was also not much to speak of - the other casino I went to was much bigger and nicer. I'd stay away from Ak-Chin - travel the 30 minutes north to Phoenix/Scottsdale area and you will find numerous very nice hotels/resorts, casino resorts, and casinos without hotels.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank PattySlots
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maricopa
Ahwatukee Foothills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Chandler
Quality Inn
#24 of 34 in Chandler

Been to Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort? Share your experiences!