“Our second time staying here”

Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maricopa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Our second time staying here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went to Phoenix to see Sara Brightman and decided to stay here as we have been here before and enjoyed it. Our room was pool side and was very clean. The beds we comfortable. For the money it is a very good deal but it is a few miles to Phoenix but worth the drive.

Room Tip: Service was quick and friendly. get a pool side room I open
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (868)
Scottsdale, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have visited Ak Chin for 10 years or more. It has always been a remote destination, but the desert surrounded by mountains makes the drive pleasant and upon arriving the architecture of the casino is really superb. Also, the entertainment has always been top notch. Couples, in the bar, actually get up and dance to the music.
By comparison to my many previous visits, I must say there's been a change. As mentioned, by another reviewer, the casino tables have few if any players, the dealers and staff seem overly tired, dealer mistakes are common and an air of defensiveness permeates the place.
The dining , in the past, had been worth the trip. Ak Chin's round steaks were mouth watering, totally delicious. The one I had this week was an expensive excuse for a "steak." My meat was clearly yard-lot fattened,(probably using hormones) and the result was a large ring of fat around the edges. Eating consisted of taking a bite then rejecting much of what you previously ingested. The side dishes did not appear appetizing. Then the service, or should I say lack of it, left much to be desired. The room held few patrons.

My overall impression was that the business end was "milking" the establishment for every last dime it could pull out.

For the traveler, there are several great casinos in the Phoenix, Tucson area. I hope that one day, Ak Chin will again be one of them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank fiveseven
McGregor, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Visited Harrah's Ak-Chin casino resort and found the property to be very nice. The gift shop alone is worth the drive to Maricopa, about 25 miles out of Phoenix. The casino and hotel employees are all pleasant and accommodating. The Range restaurant in the casino had excellent blackened scallops and spinach salad, and the entire restaurant staff was super. Looking forward to returning soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really love staying here. Usually I take my kids along with me. They just built a new facility near Harrahs that has a movie theater, bowling alley, bar, coffee shop etc. It’s pretty much right across the parking lot so you don’t need to drive. You can take the kids swimming and to the buffet. When I go I usually have fun with them and then go gamble a bit. Since I live in AZ it's a short drive for a quick get away! Sometimes it's just me and the hubby...really nice place to spend quality time with him.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The entire AK-Chin staff should be commended starting when we arrived with Valet Parking they were always very welcoming each time we went in and out then we were greeted by the front lobby staff their constant smiles with warm "Hello's" each and every time we past the front desk - staff always making a point to look up from their busy desk to say "Have a Good Day" and then their very friendly housekeeping staff!! We were visiting family who live in Maracopa and stayed for six days and everyday we were greeted like it was our first!! We stayed in the resort -- larger rooms on the second floor- very quiet! Comfy beds-pillows and large bathrooms...lights a little dim in bathroom but LOVED the spaciousness!! We ate at the Agave Restaurant and again such nice friendly staff not to mention the choices and good food. We were treated to their buffet and I suggest you go it was GREAT!!! The pool is beautiful with a lot of seating with cushions and the unique pool bar. Rooms were very clean and staff always willing to accommodate you in any way! Casino is a bit smokey BUT we were directed to a smoke free area ...thank you Matt ...and it was much better NEW and fun machines.
The value was GREAT and I will stay there on our next visit!!!! Location worked for us because of family and not too far from Chandler where there are great outlets and malls.

Room Tip: Resort rooms older but roomy and clean -south side quiet away from pool- A/C in ceiling could be a...
furnitureruss
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Let me start by explaining the title. You are visiting Harrah's, but it's regulated by Tribal rules and Arizona law. So, if you are expecting a free beer while you gamble .... nope. They will give you up to 4 drink coupons for free drinks (so you actually CAN get a free drink), but it's limited to four. I thought, no big deal, I'm Diamond Status with Total Rewards, I'll just go to the Diamond Lounge for free drinks. NOPE ... you get a total of 4 drinks in eight hours regardless if you get them on the floor or in the lounge. Also, at 2am, if you have a drink on the table, it will be taken away. Not the employee's fault. Arizona law dictates this. So, for this reason I would not choose to visit this Harrah's again. Now, to be fair, the pool is beautiful. There is a movie theater and bowling alley right next door. The restaurants are good, and the staff is friendly. While there, I think we were the only people in our 40's. Most of the guests were senior citizens. Cell reception is spotty since you are in the middle of nowhere. The rooms were clean but tight. I always think that with Diamond status I'd be offered something a bit more roomy, but it's just not the case. The room was comped because of my status with TR, and that is appreciated. If you are thinking of going somewhere just for gambling, I would encourage you to go to Nevada (Vegas, Reno, Laughlin) because you'll have more to do, more options, and drinks when you want them. If you are going somewhere for the resort, then I'll also have to say that there would be better choices out there.

To summarize ... nice staff, restaurants good, casino small and lmited, drinks not free even when gambling, rooms tight but clean, pool area the best part of the property, cell coverage spotty, filled with senior citizens, just not enough to keep the young people or middle ager's interested. Perfect place for an 80 year old!

Room Tip: Not sure, I have Diamond Status and our room was no better or worse than any other room they offer s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank furnitureruss
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is less than an two-hour drive from our home in Tucson so it makes for a wonderful destination for a quick getaway. Normally we're in and out but this time we spent three nights.

We never stayed in the Tower and have no desire to do so. I guess you can call us creatures of habit and we're very happy in the "resort" rooms so we always request that. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with fabulous beds and bedding. The curtains are really of a superior "blackout" kind and once they're closed, you have no clue if it's daylight outside! Really makes you want to sleep in late.

One thing I appreciate is the coffee maker they have. It's not the Keurig type but still an individual cup maker and it's so quick and fast! Very tasty coffee too and the maids are very happy to provide additional packets if requested. I'm afraid that's probably going to go away as they're advertising Dunkin' Donuts will have a space within the resort. DD coffee is great but will it be free and plentiful? That I don't know.

The Grill there is terrific too but the prices are initially deceiving. The prices reflect a "combo" meal with fries and a drink but you can order a la carte. Not a huge selection but it does also offer breakfasts all day and you can get it to go to take to your room.

We've never eaten at the Agave Club because you have to be a Diamond member after 4 p.m. We don't gamble enough to achieve that. You can go there for breakfast and lunch not being Diamond Club members but we haven't done that.

We only did the Buffet once and I recall it being very good but it's just too much food for us. We're not foodies. Simple fare and we don't want enormous amounts either and we're happy. The grill serves our purpose just fine.

My only complaint is the lack of reliable wireless communications. We needed to make a phone call and were wandering round the property like the guy in the TV commercial -- "Can you hear me now?". Only problem was we had a terrible time even getting connected. The Wifi was free but no easy feat either. That could use some improvement.

The pool is super and terrifically inviting. The Staff couldn't be friendlier! There's a small refrigerator to keep your beverages cold. The bathrooms are HUGE and comfy! Rooms are spacious with added comforts.

I gave it 5 stars because the value you get for the cost is terrific.

We'll be going back that's for certain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fran g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maricopa
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Holiday Inn Casa Grande
#2 of 11 in Casa Grande
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chandler Hotel & Suites
Home2 Suites by Hilton Phoenix Chandler

Been to Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort? Share your experiences!