“Bad service for a 5 star hotel”

Sheraton Pilar Hotel & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pilar
London, United Kingdom
“Bad service for a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We had no choice but staying in that hotel, which is the only one in the area so we decided to book a room for our first night as "huband and wife". Reservation process was a mess. When booking, they did not let us pay the night since the rate was not ready. Six months after that, we asked for a honeymoon package instead, but they did not have prices either. One month before our wedding, and they had not confirm us the price of our stay. We told Mariana (reservations woman) that the Starwood website DID have the price on screen and she could not reply to that. We could not believe it! We finally had the price three weeks before the date of arrival. We had the honeymoon package which included breakfast in the room, champagne, flowers and little cookies from the chef. Breakfast was ok, can´t complain. Flowers were ridiculous: that was the worst bouquet ever! Flowers were old, I could not believe that! Champagne was the cheapest one in the argentinian market and cookies from the chef were 5 cookies in a big white plate. I am glad the the suite was big and comfortable.....that´s the only thing I can´t complain. Service was a disaster too: I called room service and they spent 50 minutes to come over. Lack of service is unbelievable in a 5 stars hotel. We also sent a complain letter to the manager and never received any answer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The hotel itself is really nice. The grounds are lovely. We had wonderful service the entire time we were there (in contrast to another review). At the same time, we were there just at the start of the season. The area is very rural and best known for its polo activities. Polo season appears to be from September through December, so while we were there, the place really picked up on the weekends. Through the week it was very quiet and yes, the pool bar was closed. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday however the place was hopping.

The grounds are lovely, the hotel furnishings and look were very nice. I was there for a meeting (not at the convention center though), so in meetings all day, then to the hotel for the evenings worked great for us.

I would not go there looking to do anything other than vegg out - since there is absolutely nothing to do around there. With that said, there is a mall right next door with a few restaurants that were decent (gets you out of the hotel restaurants). Also, on the other side of the interstate from the hotel, there is a great restaurant called (i think!) something like "The Cow Path". Don't miss it. It is a buffet with a huge barbeque area that has about 10-15 different selections of meat to choose from (including some that kind of freaked me out - but hey - when in Argentina, do as the Argentinians!).

Anyway, my husband and I stayed downtown in BA for a few days before heading to Pilar. It is far too long to drive back and forth. We enjoyed the city for a few days before heading to Pilar to work. The hotel was perfect in that regard.

• Liked — The grounds were stunning. It was Spring, freshly cut grass, blooming flowers, lovely weather
  • Disliked — Isolation, but I was there for a meeting - so...................
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Fitzgig
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I stayed here for a conference and it was absolutely fine but nothing special. It is quite a way from downtown BA (nearly one hour in a taxi) so not an ideal spot to explore the city and Pilar itself has very little to offer. The staff were friendly though, the rooms fine, the ground well maintained but it is definitely a conference hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Buenos Aires
Reviewed March 22, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a 2 day getaway from the hustle and bustle of BA, so we heard good things about this Sheraton and decided to give it a try.

Upon arrival, the signed entrance was locked so we had to drive about to find another way onto the property. There was no bellman to greet us. Let me add that this was a midweek stay and the hotel's occupancy was very low. When we were checking in a bellman came and loaded up the luggage. After 2 phone calls and 45 minutes later, I went down to retrieve my bags (again, this can be excused if you see that the staff is busy.)

Later in the evening I ordered room service where the person on the phone said, "Remind me again of your room number." I had never even given him my room number. The food was mediocre at best.

I will say that the pools were lovely and a great place to unwind. It was a warm day and a cool poolside beverage would have been great, but the poolside bar which looked open was never staffed.

It wasn't a horrible experience, but it certainly wasn't a Four Seasons experience. The SHeraton needs to care (or at least do a good job faking it) about its guests.

• Liked — the indoor and outdoor pools
  • Disliked — the lackluster staff and the not completely clean bathroom
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pilar
Howard Johnson Resort Pilar
#3 of 7 in Pilar
PH Pro Hotel
PH Pro Hotel
#5 of 7 in Pilar

Been to Sheraton Pilar Hotel & Convention Center? Share your experiences!