“No real "sweet sleeper" as advertised, 5 star lobby 1 star room; does not average 3 stars”

Sheraton Mar del Plata Hotel
Ranked #9 of 156 Hotels in Mar del Plata
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Starwood, pick up your act on this hotel - even though I love you guys

A flight to Mar del Plata to check into a room for over 400 US a night (after tax) only to find an imitation sweet sleeper? Sealy mattress had the name sweet sleeper on it calling it a feather top. The mattress was rock hard and made a terrible squeaking sound. The linen was threadbare, the pillows were foam and broken apart on the inside, and the "down" duvet was polyester of the cheapest type.

I've posted a video of the "Sweet Sleeper" from the room - if you know Sheratons you can decide yourself if you think this is one. I can tell you that the Sweet Sleeper in a very, very comfy bed, but this time we barely slept

Here is the link:

The suite I booked was large and "renovated". However, in changing the floors they destroyed the baseboards and the plugs and nothing was fixed. The furniture was old and tired although they call the room renovated it was re-done 10 years ago and they are still calling it renovated.

The room itself is not all that bad, tiled floor and a new table and desk, new flat screen TVs (hung on the wall with chipped non-matching plywood) ... and a large bathroom but old Jacuzzi which was starting to rust

The Internet was down for the first 14 hours I was there and I was told I had to wait until Monday morning for the IT manager to return. It came back up when he arrived 08:30 Monday.

The Spa smelled dusty and to me unusable and the breakfast, well, you had to put bread through the toaster 3 times to make it light brown.

We did not get a chance to use the pool, we arrived for a 5 night stay and checked out the next morning at 10 -

The front desk manager manager was extremely nice and apologetic, he said he wished I had contacted him the night before - which of course I tried, many times, but the front staff were left helpless for the past 14 hours as nobody from the outside support to the hotel answered any phone calls.

At 75 dollars a night I might have stayed here, maybe 125 for the suite I booked, although I would never book a hotel at 75 dollars a night - The lobby and look of the hotel when you arrive is actually beautiful (and misleading)

They say it is a short stroll from the town, I guess it depends how longs your legs are but the front desk recommended a taxi and so would I

Many people commented that this is a good family hotel, for a mid range to lower end I could agree but then it would be for people who are looking for lower end hotel, being dishonest about a bed when selling a room is just down right wrong and I wasted 36 hours of my time and 2 paid flights from BA to Mar Del Plata

To be fair the room itself was not so so bad, but when I pay 400 US for a hotel I want the bed I was promised, things to work and some attention to detail - not a so called renovated room from 10 years ago and false pretenses about a Sweet Sleeper

- and the front desk manager tried to do whatever he could to correct but there were too many things wrong in such a short period without any manager to speak to, just very very lovely front desk staff who had been working their for a month

Room Tip: Ocean view the city view is actually a graveyard view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert_In_LondonUK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed at Sheraton over Christmas of 2011 and we had a great time. The room was very nice with a great view of the ocean. The hotel is a nice Sheraton, nothing special. It does have a beach close by but we chose Honu beach by the lighthouse and had a blast. The breakfest has a good selection but everyday the hot food was cold. It was not the best food I have had at a hotel at all. The pool is nice and is a fine place for kids but nothing fantastic. I would stay again but I may also look at other places if I go back to Mar del Plata.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nate w
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I stayed overnight at this Hotel on a business trip with a colleague of our firm.
The Hotel is nicely appointed and the rooms are ok, with a great LG LCD 42 inch tv and the normal ammenities you would expect of this type of Hotel.

Unfortunately I did not feel welcomed by the staff upon my various interactions during my short stay. Since it was raining and not much to do I decided to take a stroll around the Hotel. My first interaction was to ask an employe where the bathrooms where and I noticed he was not very friendly upon replying to me, while observing my appearance more than answering my question. Minutes later as I was strolling the gym area I fel I was being observed by one security person (there where no other guest in the lobby) so I was alone walking the Hotel. Upon exiting the bathroom a security guard entered the bathroom I assume to see if I was doint anything wrong, while another one confronted me by asking if I was staying in the Hotel. Upon replying that I was in room # 702 I asked why where they stopping me in such a rude manner, and I was told that I HAD BEEN WALKING AROUND THE HOTEL AREAS ASKING QUESTION !!! I must admit that this bothered me and felt quiet discriminated by their surveilance., If they have so many cammeras could no one notice I was staying in the Hotel ? Could no one notice I was having breakfast in the restaurant ? I was the only guest in the whole lobby.. The rudeness of the banquet employee whoe I encountred plus this security staff made me feel like I was NOT WELCOMED in the HOTEL.. I will not stay in this Hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank carlosalonsom2016
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I read with some trepidation of another Starwood Platinum member's experience at this hotel. While we did not receive an upgrade to a suite, the front desk gave us two ocean facing rooms, spa access, breakfast for four, as well as internet access in both rooms for the week that we were there.

Gustav's recommendations for restaurants were on target and really made our overall experience very good. Great pool if you want to avoid the crowds at the beach. We would recommend the beaches on the weekend for the crowd (lots of activity) and the hotel pool during the week when it was very tranquil.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Belgium
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We booked the hotel for 3 nights, just one day before arrival . Even if i was a bit uncomfortable after having read some reviews here, i must say that the overal balance was positive.

The suite we booked was really enormous, and even if you notice that it is not very new anymore, it was really more than we expected.

Especially the swimming pool, which is only 1,1 m deep, leaves you a lot of comfort if you are travelling with children. The hotel is also near a golf course, and on a less crowded part of Mar del Plata, so if you don't like to have 10000 people on the beach near you, this is the place to be.

Staff is very kind, breakfast is ok, so what else to say.

Only 2 minus points:

- WIF>I was included in our suite, but normally you have to pay for it (shame for this category of Hotel). The worst of all is that the quality of the WIFI is very very poor. We lost connection continiously, and when connected speed was very poor.
- Airconditioning: for my taste to weak

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank starexplorer
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a week in Mar del Plata, so we heard good things about this Sheraton. There was no bellman when we arrive. the occupancy was very low. The staff of front desk are correct. Later in the evening I ordered room service where the person on the phone said, "Remind me again of your room number." I had never even given him my room number. The food was mediocre.

The pools were lovely and a great place.

have been better Sheraton's

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed January 2, 2011

As an SPG Platinum member, I've stayed at plenty of Sheratons. This hotel is a very poor excuse for one. We checked in late in the evening and was told that the only room left was double beds. After a very long day, I wasn't in the mood for agruement, so we accepted the room. The next morning I checked with the front desk and we were moved immediately to a room with a king bed. No explanation of why we weren't given the room the night before.

The problem with this hotel is indeed the rooms. They are very small. The beds are extremely worn out (not the sleeper beds that Sheraton promotes). The bathroom is so small that the door doesn't open all the way instead hitting the toilet. And the toilet is so close to the wall that you have to sit on it sideways. There is no alarm clock in the room (common in Europe but not in American brands. Sheraton Mendoza had alarm clocks). No power plugs at the desk level to plug in phone or computers. Very little insulation between floors. It sounded like a herd of migrating elephants was in the room above us. I was expecting the ceiling to cave in at any point.

Also there is no executive lounge or club lounge. There was no additional compensation granted due to lack of a club. Usually a hotel will offer free breakfast if they don't have a lounge.

We also had issues with the internet. The system didn't recognize our name/room number combination. Several times we notified the front desk of the issue, but they couldn't fix it.

There are a few good things about the hotel. The location is great. It's a 5 minute walk to the beach. There are some really good restaurants and cafe's within a few blocks. Also the restaurant is good and lobby area is very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple