“The most gorgeous restaurant that no one is going to.... Great food....”

M Buenos Aires Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,417 helpful votes
“The most gorgeous restaurant that no one is going to.... Great food....”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I came here last night for dinner on the recommendation of one of our local friends. She was telling me how gorgeous it is and that the food is really great. I had never heard of it before and there weren't too many reviews online.

I was telling her yesterday at lunch my frustration trying to book a reservation. I filled out the form online to request a reservation many days ago and no one got back to me. Then we tried calling several nights to make a reservation and no one answered! We tried no less than 3 days and no one ever answered the phone which we found strange.

Our friend told us, "don't worry about reservations as the place was empty when we went and not many people know about this place".

Nonetheless, we followed our friend's advice to dine here and glad we did! We went to dinner a bit early at 9:45 PM and no one was there! We were literally the only ones in the place eating. That felt strange. We know that locals usually eat earlier but still even by the time we left there were only 2 other tables on a Thursday night. There were literally more employees working here than customers eating.

One thing that I found comforting is even the negative reviews mostly said the food was good. People were complaining about the prices mostly. There is a HUGE menu spanning several pages. This place isn't only a sushi place but had many other things. Actually the menu could be a bit overwhelming because they had so many things. They probably could do with cutting the menu down in size a bit.

Walking up to the building it is GORGEOUS. They did a wonderful job with this place. I heard it used to be an old monastery that is 200 years old. It is super romantic and the photos online don't do it justice.

The food is really great. I was reading about people complaining about prices but honestly the prices aren't higher than most nicer places in town. We've been dining out and about since last week and most of our bills are coming out to the same price range. Most entrees were about 120-160 pesos. Appetizers were around 95 - 130 pesos each.

Our waiter was very friendly. I do agree that the wait on the food is a bit slow but that seems to be because there is only one chef doing it all. You can watch him making all the sushi right there and the plates. Another reason why I think they should cut down on the total number of offerings.

Everything was super fresh. We started out with the eggrolls which were yummy. We also started out with sushi. We noticed they had centolla (a type of Crab that they have here in the South of Argentina). Our friends are from the South of Argentina and every time their parents would fly up they would bring up fresh Centolla and we fell in love with it.

We asked if they could make sushis with Centolla and cream cheese. They didn't have it on the menu but it was GREAT!! My wife also got sushi for her main dish and she said it was out of this world good. I got the Centolla gratinada over Salmon. It had salmon on the bottom with centolla and cheese on top. I ordered a side of rice with it. It was heavenly. Just a GREAT dish.

Everything was totally fresh which is hard to get sometimes at seafood places in Buenos Aires. I read a few negative reviews but honestly either they had a bad night or we had a really good night because the food was incredible and the atmosphere was great. SUPER romantic place.

I hope things pick up as it would be a shame if this place closed. It was fairly dead even as we left the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank saintba

Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Good sushi.. horrible service and expensive.”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have lived in San Diego for the 6 years and I know good sushi. I live in BA now and the sushi here doesn't deserve to bear the name "sushi." I have been looking for a good place to get real sushi for a long time. I saw the reviews for this place and thought I'd check it out. Here is my experience:

The place is really neat looking. It has a great date environment with a castle like look. I was able to get a table right away without waiting. That was about the end of my good experience.

To start off I speak fluent castillano and I was on a date with an Argentine girl so nothing was lost in translation. The waitress started off asking for a drink order and I asked for a water with gas a coke and I asked if they had a Bloody Mary. The waitress said yes and placed the order. Brings back a coke and a drink that is similar but definitely not a bloody mary. I asked what the drink was and they said it was a "sweet mary." I was like, that's not what I asked for. They explained to me that it was the only thing they had and acted like it was my fault that I didn't clarify. I was on a date with a beautiful girl so I didn't get upset and I just thought I'd try it anyways.

Next I looked at the menu for sushi. Prices are ridiculous. For example, a spicy tuna roll is 115 pesos. That is 25 dollars for a spicy tuna roll which I had never paid more than 9 bucks for in my entire life. All the rolls are around that price range. I ordered a couple rolls and a since my date didn't like sushi so she ordered a shrimp plate.

I don't know what happened to the waitress but we got switched to a mail waiter. The sushi came out quickly and I had to ask for the water again because they forgot it. He brought the water, poured me a glass and set the water over by the table next to us (later he served one of the the women at the other table a glasses of the water I paid for).

Service was horrible. After brining me my glass of water nobody came to our table for 45 min. I was waiting for my date's plate to come out but after 15 min she told me to go ahead and eat and she helped me a bit with the sushi. The waiter had passed our table over and over again attending other tables but never once stopped at ours. My water was obviously empty and it wasn't on my table so I could serve myself (or my date) a glass, my date's drink was gone, her plate hadn't come out yet. I wouldn't normally wait so long to get the waiters attention but I couldn't believe it. I purposely waited to see how long it would take for the waiter to come. I stared him in the eyes every time he passed and he never once stopped. Finally after seeing him serve the other table the water I had purchased, I stopped him and let him know exactly what I thought of the service. I never raised my voice but said, "it has been 40 min since you have stopped at our table to see if we needed anything, you brought me the wrong drink, my water has been empty for 20 min, my dates drink has been empty for 30 min, the sushi has been gone for 20 min and you never offered to remove the plates, you haven't informed us of what is going on with my date's order which hasn't come out in an hour, and you served my water to the other table. Is this what you call service?" The worst part was that instead of asking for forgiveness he got mad and looked at me like he wanted to punch me. His response was "OF COURSE!" I responded, "well its obviously not."

We ended up switching waiters and finishing our meal with a bad taste in our mouths from the experience. Never was any sort of compensation offered and they included tip on the bill. They even still charged me for the water. The great food and good ambiance were ruined by terrible service and an even worse attitude. Also the sushi is good but it is not twice the price as other places good. After everything it was no surprise we got a table so quickly.

If you want an awesome dining experience/date place (great food, good prices, and impeccable service) skip this place and go to Kansas. You'll know by the hoards of people willing to wait over an hour to get in that it is worth it.

• Visited November 2012
Houston
“Fantastic restaurant”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I got late there and got an empanada , a 1/2 bottle of malbec reserva , and what for a my meat
a well done steak which is the best steak I had in my life , angus feef is great but Argentina meat I think is the top, Wuaooo

• Visited December 2011
Los Angeles
“WOW.”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Ok, so pretty much I travelled through Argentina using my stomach as a guide. It led me here, and man - WOW. This was not only the most expensive meal I had in Argentina, but probably the best.

It's Peruvian/Japanese, which at first blush may seem like an odd pairing, but consider this: Three kinds of Ceviche starter, Sushi roll assortment first course, and Salmon with crab sauce and black rice main course? Come on. The flavors were used in a very innovative way - everything blended together in a cohesive taste framework. There was nothing discordant, which is no small feat, considering the disparity of the two cultures' flavor profiles. It was excellent.

They had a fantastic wine list as well, and the design of the restaurant was stunning - a windowless interior, red brick walls, whimsical light fixtures made of what appeared to be shower curtain rings. Restroom was clean, which is no small feat for some parts of Argentina! ;-)

I would say that this is a "don't miss" experience in Buenos Aires. I will never forget that salmon with crab sauce and black rice. It was transcendent. And as far as the price goes - if I had had the same food in LA (at Providence, for example, or something similar) it would have been a $200USD meal for me alone. My total bill came to $300AR, which works out to be about $75USD. So I consider that a bargain! Viva "M"!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank LAdeedahdee
Melbourne, Australia
“A Los Bifes Restaurant San Telmo Buenos Aires Argentina”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

This place was pretty much perfect.
Service was brilliant, helpful, welcoming and accommodating.
Food was exactly the kind of Argentine food we'd been searching the rest of the city for.
Vino was recommended by our brilliant waiter who chose just the right one to match our budget and main meal.
Price was good, especially in comparison to the quality of food.
Ambiance was homely and as the night progressed all the locals started to roll in which created a great cultural atmosphere.
We'd been searching for a place that we wanted to remember Argentina by for it's food, and we found it at A Los Bifes!
Estados Unidos 501 San Telmo Buenos Aires Argentina - 4307 3315