“Great Ambience, Excellent Service and Really Good Meal”
Review of El Mercado

Ranked #60 of 6,974 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Puerto Madero
Description: A great culinary experience doesn't centre exclusively on food and wine. A truly great meal is an emotional experience -a trip of the senses- a celebration. Inspired by the old fairs of Europe and the legendary cantinas of Buenos Aires, El Mercado provides an environment steeped in history and character, where guests can bask in the heat from the clayoven and savour the most delicious traditional Argentine foodprepared with fresh natural products and seasonal fruits.
Reviewed March 24, 2019

We had dinner at El Mercado in the Faena Hotel before going to the Rojo Tango Show in the same hotel in Puerto Madero. We really liked the ambience. Our server, Jessica, was excellent ... very friendly and attentive.

We started our meal with an Argentinian white wine from Cafayate and a Malbec and the special appetizer of the day, a grilled goat provolone served over baby greens topped with a pesto like sauce. It was very good. Jessica poured part of my white wine and let me know she’d be back with more later as she wanted to ensure I enjoyed it cold. What great service!!

For main courses I had the Grilled prawns with piperrada sauce, avocado vinaigrette and my boyfriend had the nicely spiced perfectly grilled white fish of the day. Both were very good. We finished dinner just in time to run to the show.

3  Thank Deborah T

Reviewed March 20, 2019

El Mercado is a lovely restaurant located at the entrance to a high end boutique hotel - Faena - in the super trendy Puerto Madero area of Buenos Aires. The restaurant is 17 years old (I think) but it's decorated in "antique chic" with exposed brick walls, a distressed tin roof, and antique furniture placed to create coziness between the tables.

The menu is long and varied. I settled on a Caesars sale and I split a pizza with my wife. The salad was positively enormous!...and delicious. With some protein, this would have been a meal in itself. We ordered pizza as we were attracted to the real wood fired pizza ovens visible at one end of the dining area. The pizza was also enormous and we couldn't finish it. It was delicious.

We had a terrific evening in this lovely restaurant. good food and great service helped us enjoy ourselves. They also have a large and inviting outdoors dining area which wasn't open the night we dined.

Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

Had a fabulous meal. Loved it.

The sommelier was outstanding. He’s also the manager. He suggested a wine pairing for the steak and we loved loved it.

Wine : Los Nobles

The steak was easily the best I had. I can’t recall the name. It was the first in the menu for two people. It had been Cooked 15 hrs ;-! Yummy steak.

Excellent service by Jessica ..she served us with a big charming smile ;-)

Will go again in a heart beat.

Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

Woke late so decided to try the brunch, good selection from the salad bar. The salmon ceviche was outstanding.
Had a few choices from the bbq, the beef was ok but the lamb chops were the star.
Service was ok. Setting was old style with a relaxed feel. Liked the open kitchen with the old style Kiln ovens.
Would recommend for a relaxed brunch with meat sweats.
Dinner menu looks interesting, will be trying one of the steaks.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 9, 2019

My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous dinner here after traveling through Argentina for two weeks. Our meals were superb. Jessica, our waitress, was so friendly and sweet. She made the whole evening extra special.

Date of visit: January 2019