“Great value - a go-to spot while in San Telmo”
Review of Don Ernesto

Don Ernesto
Ranked #264 of 4,932 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Telmo
Toronto, Canada
“Great value - a go-to spot while in San Telmo”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

After a morning of touring San Telmo, I went to Don Ernesto for lunch based on TA reviews, which were spot-on. It was about 1:30pm, and the place was full of locals and regulars. I was the only tourist in the joint.

The table service included a standard bread basket and a great little dish of eggplant braised in tomato sauce as a condiment - never say no to a vegetable in Buenos Aires! I ordered a T-bone (costilla), and it was large, thick, juicy, perfectly seared and smoky. It came with nice papas fritas. It only cost 75 pesos if i remember correctly - a real steal. I only ordered a gaseosa; so I can't comment on wine selection.

Service was good. I received a warm welcome, and the waiter was polite, although he was clearly more interested in engaging with a large group of college students.

If I had chosen a San Telmo hotel for my week in BsAs, I would have gone here 1 or 2 more times. So it's not worth a special trip, but definitely worth it if you're in the area already for the San Telmo market or Sunday fair.

• Polish first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Kick back and relax”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My fifth BA steak house and in the running for my favorite.

I only order Bife de Chorizo, to make sure I am comparing steak houses objectively (as if a bottle of wine with each meal doesn't derail any such attempt), and Don Ernesto served a good one, at least as good, or almost as good, as any others I have tried. No complaints with the meat.

Plus they gave me a cheap 26 peso mixed salad and a 65 peso bottle of wine so I was a happy camper when I paid my bill and stumbled out onto the street.

What made my meal noticeably more enjoyable than some of my other BA steak house jaunts was the casual and relaxed vibe. No phony attempts to impress me, just competent waiters who weren't too busy to say high to their friends and weren't too busy saying hi to their friends to notice me when I wanted their attention. Well tuned, and apparently effortless.

I'll go back.

Houston, Texas
“Pretty darn good!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I ate lunch here on April 15. The service was good, as was the food. For the price, it was excellent! I asked for tabasco sauce for my steak and fries, and the waiter brought me a special pepper/oil mix, which was excellent!

It is not Fleming's or Sullivan's (US steak places), but it was good and worth a look if you are in San Telmo.

Santiago, Chile
“WOW!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

best bife-chorizo in town! and at half the price than Puerto Madero. Highly recommend it. Needs a better wine selection though.

Visited April 2013
Perth, Australia
“Good value, friendly service.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was staying att the hotel next door for a couple of weeks, so took to popping in for a quick meal during the day or a nightcap or light supper. The walls are covered in graffiti and memorabilia. It has lots of timber and has a traditional Argentinian menu. Their beef is tender, especially when washed down with a gentle local malbec; chicken dishes are tasty, serves are generous and prices are good value. Sometimes I just had a glass of wine or a beer. A couple of times, I had their flan casero, a local kind of creme caramel. It was huge, looked like it was burnt, was so firm that you couls almost carve it, but tasted delicious, especially with a large dollop of their dulce de leche caramelised dessert, which the locals slather on to everything. How come they'e thin?

Service is friendly and sometimes pleasantly cheeky. They were happy to offer advice and suggestions. There is also a good menu section for gluten intolerant customers. If you return, at least one staff member will surely remember you and service becomes even friendlier, with some staff coming over to chat or to shake hands.

I enjoyed my several visits here and it became my informal 'local."

• Visited March 2013