“No need for breakfast or lunch...HUGE portions”
Review of La Cabrera Sur

La Cabrera Sur
Ranked #79 of 5,180 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I went to La Cabrera on our first night in Buenos Aries upon reading several reviews about it serving the best steak in BA. The restaurant is VERY busy and you will need to book...otherwise wait in a queue in the street for goodness knows how long! My husband and I both ordered starters and then we ordered steaks for our mains. I am a big eater as is my husband but there is no way on earth I could have eaten what was put infront of me. I ordered steak with blue cheese and the steak was the size of my forearm with a slab of blue cheese on it. The waiter then comes round and asks you to choose your sides. 3 from this selection, 4 from that selection, fries, potates....the list goes on and on until our table was filled with food. The steak and sides were nice. I wouldn't say the best we have eaten by any standards but overall the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere and I would probably go back...if I hadn't eaten for 2 or 3 days prior!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

La Cabrera was probably the B.A. steakhouse most talked about and hyped by friends and online commenters, and I was eager to test it out myself. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed.

First off, as other commenters here have noted, the restaurant is populated by nearly all tourists (the lack of Spanish and the waiters speaking in English is a pretty good giveaway). While not always indicative of a bad meal, it at least should tip you off to the fact that this is a place that can skirt by on its name while charging substantially more than more local-type parrillas.

Additionally:
- all of the steaks seem overpriced;
- the actual steak we were served, while cooked to the proper temperature, was no less than 1/3 pure, inedible fat. When asked why we'd been served with such a crappy cut, the waiter simply shrugged and said that was what we should have expected when ordering a bife de chorizo;
- the one recommendation the waiter had was not one of the somewhat-overpriced, normal cuts of steak, but instead the 375 peso ($75 USD) wagyu steak, which is more than you would pay for a cut in the most expensive steakhouse in New York City.

While the waiter did try to make it up to us at the end of the meal with an ice cream dish on the house, we still left feeling unsatisfied. The city is full of parrillas that can provide a better experience; I wish I'd had a better line on those, rather than coming here.

1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Well I just have to say: if you are in Buenos Aires you must eat at La Cabrera at least once for dinner during your stay. The atmosphere is great, the staff is very friendly (but a bit rushed) and the steak….. fabulous!! Advise 1: order 1 dish for 2 p! Advise 2: make a reservation!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great place to eat Argentinean steak the traditional way! Worth the waiting! It's true what they say, I think it's the best steak house in the city.

1  Thank Ikwillem
Reviewed March 9, 2013

So we strayed from our favourite steak house on advice from friends who said we had to go or they'd no longer be our friend... Now I don't want to be their friend.

First, it's ALL tourists, no locals (bad sign number 1).

Second, they serve free champagne and snacks to people waiting (was a red flag, great concept, but if it's so great why bother?).

Menu was limited, cuts of meat were 1.5x the price of other fantastic restaurants, choice of Malbecs were limited and overpriced. Fries were (all prices USD) $10 for a small basket, 2 empandas were $7, a caesar salad was $18-20, the steak meat was ok, a bit chewy (did have a good flavour, but was not a great cut).

Look, $30-40 for a steak is a normal price in the US, but for here its $10 too much.

The service was slow, you're charged a $3.2 sitting fee even on weekends, $2 for a side w/ the steak that you don't ask for, it just comes with it, $8 for a bottle of water.

This place is just a trap for tourists that are too lazy to find a good place to eat and look at a guidebook to find their next meal.

Give you an idea of what it cost:
1 order empandas, 2 small chorizos, 2 fries, 1 small caesar salad, 2 (1/2 order steaks), 1 water, and 1 cheaper end bottle of wine cost $153 including sitting fees, that's w/ 2 people not ordering steaks.

Do not waste your time or $$ going here, I wish we hadn't.

1  Thank Scott Z