“SuperB”

Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Nicolas
Description: The style of our cuisine can be characterised as “porteña gourmet”, even though there is no formal school of cuisine with that name. “Porteño” is the word we use in Spanish to refer to the inhabitants of the City of Buenos Aires. Nevertheless, the concept “porteño gourmet”, is a little tricky, specially for those who believe that something belongs to a tradition only if it has been actually created – as opposed to adapted - by its inhabitants, as if the French had invented cheese and steak aux frites, or the Spanish tortillas; or, indeed, as if it were possible to find steak aux frites, cheese and tortillas in Argentina prepared in exactly the same way as they are in any of those countries To fully grasp the concept of “porteño gourmet”, it might be a good idea to take a look out of a window in Buenos Aires. What do you see? Renaissance-style palazzos and almighty skyscrapers? Parisian hotels? Precarious ranchos and the country houses of the great estancias? Nothing of the kind! Buenos Aires is a city whose architecture has been influenced by many different styles which combine in a wholly unique way. Its identity lies both in the combination of traditions and in the way these traditions have been adapted. Some people call that style “chaos”; to us it is just Buenos Aires. At Tomo 1, we are engaged in exploring our traditions in ways that reflect our own habits and our own tastes, because, after all we are both porteños and gourmets.
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Amazing care to the customer! I had a brilliant experience when visiting this wonderful place to propose my girlfriend a marriage.
Excellent service, food is great and special. Diversity in plates. The crew knows how to make the client happy.

1  Thank Rafaelsgarbulho
There are newer reviews for Tomo I

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Maybe in the past it was a great place, cause the fame for that it has. But going to the facts, the place is old, the food is regular, you are not going to eat anything different than you can prepare in your home (if you know a little bit how to cook).
Despite all that I had a bad experience with the check/bill, the waiter that brought that to me asked me to give him the tip in money not with credit card, he couldn't do that, the tip is not that common in Argentina and a waiter should never ask for that. And of course, the price is very very high.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

A perfect place, with a perfect service having the best Duck Confit
I´ve ever tried! Loved it!!!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Argentina is known for great steak, I have no argument with that, however if you are not argentine, there comes a point when you want something different and with some flavour. Tomo 1 is a great little restaurant serving a variety of dishes with great service. It is a little expensive by a argentine standards, but still reasonable when compared to good restaurants in the western world.

I had a beautiful prawn, prosciutto and mango salad followed by an asian inspired lamb loin which was cooked to perfection. The servings were on the small side, but plenty for both myself and my partner. The upside was we were able to share a dessert, a course we never get to in Argentinian restaurants.

I recommend you go and try this out it was great.

1  Thank Blizzard21
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Impressive food quality maintained through my visits over the last few years. Value used to be spectacular--less so now but it is a macroeconomic issue you cannot blame the restaurant for.