“Amazing venue - OK food and service”
Review of Olsen - CLOSED

Olsen
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Palermo
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Olsen has been around for quite a while and I get the feeling that I might be trading on it's past a bit. We were escorted to our table by a very disinterested hostess who seemed to be on tranquillisers. We ordered the 3 x Open Sandwich + 3 x Vodka starter which was pretty good although they seemed to have forgotten the vodka in the apple flavoured tube. The sandwiches were bite-sized and quite good although seemed to have been standing around for a while as the bread was a bit soft and the soft-cheese had 'cracked' as if it had dried out. We had Pork shoulder and a 5-grain risotto with poached egg for the mains. The Pork shoulder was good - well cooked with mashed potato. The risotto however was pretty horrible. Gravelly texture with a barely cooked egg. We're talking transparent albumen running around the bowl! The waitress was nice until she pointedly reminded us that service was not included.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

this review is for the drinks only, as i didn't eat anything here. this bar is beautifully designed with a magical outdoor area to the front. they have one page of their specialty drinks and a few standards, and we were so impressed the first night that we came back our last night in BA. the drinks are really expertly mixed and for a reasonable price. one of my fave places in BA.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We enjoyed the food and the cocktails were delicious. The location is good and the decor very trendy.

Our waiter and then waitress (they changed half way through our meal) were busy and seemed to pay more attention to some well known guests at another table than us. We waited more than 10 minutes for the cheque. No apology was offered for the starter that we ordered arriving late either.

I would, however, still go again as the food was very good.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

As a Scandinavian living in Chile, I really wanted to visit this place during our stay in Buenos Aires. Now I would say the money is better spend somewhere else.
The food is okay but noting spectacular. It is indeed Scandinavian inspired So If your just looking for a glimpse of how food is in Scandinavia I guess it's okay.
The service at Olsen is horrible. I guess the waiters work there, because it's really trendy, and since it's really trendy and obviously a place for the locals to be seen, the waiters just don't have to care. We where served by 3 different persons non of them really interested in us. We had to ask for different things for example salt and pepper. Instead of bringing it directly to our table the waiter first handed it out to all the empty tables before coming to us as the last place.
The waiters never came and asked if we wanted more to drink, just left us on our own.
Living in South America we alway pay tips but didn't receive any thank you or smile.
We're ,sadly, used to bad service living in Chile, but this place really stunk!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Yes, crazy but what I liked the most at Olsen were the bagels...and of course I also loved my Martini even though I had to return the first one as it was not prepared how I had ordered it.

Food was nice, different and a bit over the heavy side. Nice setting and and bad and slow service.

The place was packed, lots of children running around and even a dog tied to a tree...a bit noisy.
You might want to give it a try.

1  Thank larociito