“Brilliant staff, location and welcoming atmosphere”
Review of Back in BA

and 1 more site!
Back in BA
Pueto Madryn
“Brilliant staff, location and welcoming atmosphere”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We have stayed at Bait a couple of times during our trip now, once for New Year in a big group and for 5 days in mid January as a couple. It's been my favourite hostel of our 4 months travel so far and we highly recommend.
The staff are extremely warm and helpful which helps create the easy going atmosphere. You are looked after brilliantly. They can organise all your tours and nightlife for you, most nights they rang round restaurants for us and made our reservations!
The private rooms were of a good size though there isn't much breeze in the city so could have done with an extra fan.
Dorm rooms have little curtains on each bed so you can separate yourself if you want a bit of privacy.
It's a small hostel sleeps around 25 but really cosy and intimate, the kind of place you want to stay for a month.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We have been received in a very welcoming way by the friendly staff. The rooms and especially the shared bathrooms are very clean and the staff is making an effort to keep it like this. Our double room was simple, but clean - all we needed really.
The hostel is located in Palermo, very close to cool shops and good bars and restaurants. Its a friendly, quiet place, that also offers evening activities.

Bait International turned out to be the best hostel we have stayed in during our 2 months trip in South America.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Zuchwil, Switzerland
Reviewed November 25, 2010

A friend of mine recommended me the hostel but I actually didn't like it.
I arrived after a 16 hours drive and I didn't have enough money anymore because I payed around 40 Pesos for the Taxi to this Hostel, which I didn't know that 1. the taxi costs are so high in B.A. and 2. that Palermo Viejo is so far away from the bus-terminal. Anyway. I was not 5 minutes in the hostel, I already had to pay the first night. Helloo, did you hear something about letting the people arrive first, maybe just checking in, taking a shower etc.? No, that's not possible in the BAIT. You have to pay 5 minutes after you arrived, even if you didn't even see the hostel yet. I personally think that's really bad and to be honest, that's the first time it was like that. No trust or what?

Then for myself the dormitory was a huge disaster, I've never experienced something so bad like this. No window, door to the living room outside with the BBQ-Grill, really bad. Everybody was sitting outside our door all night long and made a lot of noise, of course, it's like a party-hostel, what can you expect? Then the people in the dorm (not all of them, but 3 out of 6) were messis. Which means, the things of those people were lying around the floor and just everywhere, sometimes you coulnd't even walk without walking on some stuff of them. This I really don't like and actually don't need either. Everybody can be a little bit conscious of the others (but this is my opinion). Then we had a "old" guy in our room who couldn't sleep with closed door because it STANK in our room. Well, he was not that wrong but seriously, letting open the dormitory room for the whole night during party outside, laughings and smokings? Thanks for that, I couldn't sleep all night long! I told it then to +++, one really unfriendly and quite arrogant worker there, and he just said: is this my problem? Not really, I'm sure you can fix that with this guy for yourself and if he want's the door open, then just leave him. Thank you +++ for your support, really amazing how you helped me out here!
During the night then we had a Fan and the nice "old" guy turned it all night long in direction of him. The Australien girl had then a fight with him for around 15 minutes that he should share things because it's a shared room. Well, he wouldn't listen and so we didn't even have a fan and the door was open and a lot, I mean, a lot of smoke came into our room.

To be honest, for me it was one of the worst Hostel I've been in and I've been in many, many Hostels so far. I changed after two nights in a much nicer and better hostel, where I'm still in (I stay in B.A. for 1 week). It's not comparable, it's so much nicer and the people are so much friendlier in general (the staff and also the guests).

It's just too bad my friend recommended it to me, I don't know what he saw...or maybe it was much better 2 years ago???

Ah well one other last point: If it's written that we have free WIFI, shouldn't it work then? I know I know, we are in South America, it can happen that it doesn't work once. But seriously, it didn't work all the time I stayed there (2 nights) and to be honest, I've been in the Jungle in Peru and in really bad places in Peru and Bolivia and I always had pretty good WIFI, now in the biggest city of South America, it's not possible anymore??

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
BaitbaHostel, Owner at Back in BA, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
Many thanks for your review – we really encourage feedback as it helps us improve our service. Most of our guests have a fantastic time with us and can’t say enough about how friendly and helpful we are. We have the best beds and bedding of any hostel in Buenos Aires, a fantastic location, keep our place really clean and have very reasonable prices.

One thing we don’t do is encourage our many happy customers to leave positive reviews on Trip Advisor and as a result it tends only to the be the very few who’ve had a bad time who write something, like this review.

The substantive points of this review are:
1) Prices of taxis and you had to pay on arrival
2) The dorm was messy and didn’t have a window
3) You didn’t get on with the ‘old’ guy in the room and you didn’t like the way the staff member handled it
4) You couldn’t get enough sleep because of other people in the hostel
5) The wifi wasn’t working

So to address each point:
1) Taxi fares have gone up a bit in BA recently but you don’t have to use them – there are multiple bus and subway options from the bus station to our hostel (about 3km). Paying on arrival is common in lots of hostels, particularly in cities where unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people trying to take advantage of friendly hostels . It’s not the end of the world, and we only ask for one night in advance (if you go to a hotel, they swipe your credit card, but we don’t have that facility). But I guess you were annoyed by the taxi fare so this annoyed you further.

2) Dorms can get messy when they’re full. We obviously encourage people to put their stuff away but you guys are on holiday and want to relax. Generally when people have a good attitude, they speak to the other people in the dorm and tidy it up a bit – but we’re not in the army! About the window, you’re wrong about that, there’s a large window and door opening to a lovely interior patio, open to air. Perhaps you were thinking of somewhere else.

3) Part of dorm life is the other people – and often it’s the best, most sociable bit. Sometimes you have people who are a bit different from you and that can be a challenge – as was the case in this situation. I’m sorry if this guy was a pain. However, the staff member you spoke to is one of the nicest, friendliest guys I know – 99% of our guests love him. I don’t know exactly what was said and how it was said but I’m surprised he didn't respond positively – generally we try to fix everything that is fixable.

4) Our dorms are off the central patio which generally isn’t a problem unless you are trying to go to sleep with the doors open without earplugs very early on a Friday or Saturday. If you’re trying to go to sleep at 9pm at the weekend, you might want to try a private room. We’re not a party hostel but at the same time, we’re not a convent.

5) Finally, we had an ongoing intermittent problem with the wifi which is now fixed. Sorry about that.

I’m glad your friend recommended our hostel but I’m sorry you didn’t have good time. As much as anything else, this shows how much peoples' experience of a hostel can depend on who they meet in the first 5 minutes and what mood they’re in when they arrive.
London
Reviewed October 13, 2010

this is a great hostel. It's location is great, the rooms and communal bathrooms are clean, too. The staff is very helpful and there are lots of events if you don't know what to do.
Unfortunately, our room had a window facing the inner court and all the smoke ended up in the room. There was a birthday party in the hostel and some people were staying up late (ar rather till early next morning). We didn't have any problems with noise (I think the staff members were making sure that the other people could sleep) but the smoke in the room was not very pleasant.
When you book a room, make sure to ask not to be put in the one with the window towards the court and you will have a great time there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Bait is in a good location and has reasonable prices for the area, so it seemed like an ideal stopping point for a week exploring gorgeous Palermo Viejo. We booked a double ensuite through the Minihostels website, paid a US$30 deposit on the room, confirmed in advance and turned up expectedly on the day, only to be informed by Bait that they didn’t have the room we’d reserved after all.

According to the staff, Minihostels hadn’t informed them of our booking, so they’d let the room out to someone else. The staff were friendly & seemed to want to help out, so they offered us a grottier, darker room by the front door that had a broken mirror as decoration….we were none too impressed!

Bait is a lot shabbier and unkempt than it looks on the website, but knowing how hard it is to find budget accommodation in Palermo we felt we had little choice but to take the room as an emergency interim measure.

We tried to settle into our new home and then, as if by magic, a staff member appeared to tell us that the people who’d reserved our original room hadn’t turned up, so we could stay in the double ensuite for a few nights after all, but not for the length of stay we'd booked through Minihostels or paid a deposit to secure.

Relieved to get our original room - but somewhat confused by the shifting sands - we moved our bags upstairs and had an early night.

The following morning we were woken at dawn by a staff member talking very loudly on his mobile phone right outside our window.. And this, we later discovered, was far from unusual. We were woken by a similar disturbance every morning - an experience made all the more irritating by the fact that the breakfast they provide is so dreadful - dry rolls, crispbreads and coffee - that one doesn’t feel the urge to spring out of bed and greet the day, especially when the noise in the evening from fellow guests drinking & gassing outside the rooms ensure a restless slumber.

On the Thursday - our third night - we returned to the hostel early evening to find the entire place decked out for a party, much to our chagrin. We were told that it was a staff member’s bday - and sure enough, as the evening proceeded, more and more guests arrived, until the entire hostel was packed with people, including a whole stream of them sitting right outside our door. Every time we wanted to get a drink, about 6 people would have to stand up to let us past. It was like being back at university!

The party raged on until 4 or 5am - and we wouldn't have minded so much if we had been told, but none of the staff had felt any obligation to let us know in advance that it would be happening, so we were thrust into a full-on party situation in the very place we had paid to sleep.

We had been told the double ensuite was ours until Saturday morning, but the next day we pounded the streets until we found somewhere else - and even though we’d paid our room rent until Saturday, we moved out on the Friday night.

On leaving, we asked Bait about our Minihostels deposit, which was supposed to have been taken off the rent as a discount but wasn't, and we were told we'd have to take that up with Minihostels directly.

All in all, we paid the cost of the room to Bait, plus an additional $30 to Minihostels as a deposit on the rent and to reserve the room, which wasn’t done. We tried to get our money back from Minihostels but with no success… Bait told us that it is always better to book a room directly with a hostel, which makes us wonder the purpose of sites such as Minihostels. They certainly do not seem to guarantee quality, care or consider the needs of the customer, and until they do we will avoid using them whenever possible.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
BaitbaHostel, Owner at Back in BA, responded to this review, May 28, 2010
I remember this case very well as I discussed the double booking problem with the guests and how to resolve it with Minihostels. Most people have a great time in our hostel and we get loads of referrals, positive feedback and fantastic reviews. I’m glad they recognise our great location and prices and our helpful staff but I’m sorry they didn’t have a good time with us.

We don't get many reviews on Trip Advisor as most of our guests come to us through word of mouth and other sites, etc. So, while I will respond to the issues raised, I will take them with a pinch of salt, and balance them against the many many excellent reviews and comments we receive in guide books, travelers websites, on our own site, on the Minihostels site and elsewhere.

We did everything we could to put right the problems these guests had while staying. There was a double booking from Minihostels (their systems are now much better) but we were eventually able put them in the room they had booked and charged them the minihostels rate (ie 10% off the room rate) – so they did not pay any ‘extra’. The problem is that their booking was for 9 nights and they checked out after 4 – not mentioning any of the issues in their subsequent review. We were not in a position to refund the deposit paid to minihostels for the full stay, (although we did not charge for the remaining 5 nights) – and I don’t know any hotel or online booking service that would refund you for an early checkout. Hostelworld? Hostelbookers? Opodo? Not one. Early checkout is your prerogative but neither the hostel nor the booking engine are liable.

However, the hostel is liable for any legitimate complaints you have – although we prefer if you bring them up at the time so that we can do something about it rather than writing a review 6 months later. On top of the double booking, we had a party in the hostel without telling these guest in advance. A party. In a hostel. I admit that we should have told all the guests in advance that it was happening and that it went on longer than our parties normally do. But in this case it was the 30th birthday of the manager who has worked here for 4 years and we let our hair down – along with most of our guests. These guests wanted an early night and I’m sorry that their sleep was disturbed. But most people who stay in hostels like to party from time to time. And it is very rare that we go that late.

So we had a double booking and a party, and that is going to affect how you perceive the hostel – I get that. However, the breakfast also includes fresh fruit, orange juice, great fresh coffee, jam, tea, hot chocolate, yogurt, etc. It’s a typical local breakfast with some added goodies.

The comment about staff talking loudly outside your room early, I will speak to my staff about – I’m sorry to hear about it and it shouldn’t happen.

I’m sorry for the problems these guests had – we constantly aim to improve and will learn what we can from this review. But I believe we are a great deal better than this review leads people to believe – come stay and see for yourself
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed April 17, 2009

After reading two good reviews here I decided to book a room. Unfortunately I learned two reviews may not be enough to really know a place. Our first room was on the street. When we went to bed around 1am we could hear two kinds of blaring music. One coming from the street and the other from the reception desk 10 feet from our bed. The room had no privacy as you had to crawl over people eating breakfast in the morning just to get to the restroom. The door literally opened to the lounge where everyone hung out. We tried to check out the next day after seeing another room that was free and horrible, but were told we were not able to without paying. So we endured. We moved to a room with a private bath, but it was just filthy. We are pretty sure they do not have a cleaning crew and instead rely on their staff of single men to get the rooms ready. The floors were so dirty I didn't dare walk around without shoes and the bathrooms stunk like urine. The room had no natural light and the toilet was broken. It felt like sleeping in military barracks. There were people talking very loudly until 3 am right in front of our room and then again at 8 am. Cigarette smoke entered our room and people were partying starting at that time. After 4 hours of sleep we were tired and so happy to finally leave.

For the price it was not worth it. We are paying $12 more tonight and are in an incredibly beautiful, quiet location. I regret having chosen this hostel and hope that this review will save others from the horrible experience we had.

The only positive thing I have to say about this place is that the staff were helpful when asked for suggestions on where to eat etc. But I'd take a quiet, clean room any day over helpful staff.

Oh and their internet is a joke. The computer is full of viruses I'm sure because it took over 5 minutes just to write one sentence. WiFi doesn't reach the rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank epacheco14
BaitbaHostel, Owner at Back in BA, responded to this review, May 17, 2010
These are useful comments. Thank you so much. Since you wrote this we have drastically improved our cleaning processes – the previous owners didn’t give it a high priority - redecorated throughout and bought new computers and wifi router. The computers are now bug free and wifi reaches all rooms on the top floor and some on the ground floor. The place is looking great and working well! Also the bar across the street which made most of the noise at night has now closed after numerous complaints from ourselves and local residents.

About the rooms off the reception area, that is true, 2 or our 9 rooms are next to reception. Some people love them: big windows, load of light, easy access to breakfast and the bar. Others not so much. Staff are no longer permitted to play music after 1am in the bar and we have double thickness doors to prevent noise coming through. I’m also sorry if cigarette smoke from the gallery got into your room – we try to encourage guests to keep away from that area whenever possible.

Thanks again and I hope you come back to see how much improved we are.
buenos aires
Reviewed May 22, 2008

This hostel feels like home. The staff is very friendly and helpfull. The hostel is located in the best area in Palermo. The best disco's and bars are two blocks away and ' you can shop untill you drop'.
Many people want to stay for 4 days, but keep extending their stay. Some people like me, stay here for more than a month. I think that's saying a lot about this place!

BAIT thank you for everything!

Stayed May 2008