“Gran Profesora de Tango”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yuyu Tango

Yuyu Tango
Ranked #311 of 724 things to do in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Yuyú Herrera represents the traditional mixture of cultures from the Rio de la Plata region of Argentina. Born in Buenos Aires, from an Argentine mother and Uruguayan father, from creole grandparents and immigrants, she grew up with the rhythm of tango and candombe, the culture of both river banks. Her first steps were dancing to the beat of the drums and dancing tango standing on the feet of her father in the old family parties. The young Yuyú studied Sociology, Music, Theatre, Folckore Dances and Afro roots of music and dance. As an adult she returned to tango in the Milongas, learning from the embrace of the old milongueros. To prefect her tango, she studied various kinds of movement technique and tango, milonga and vals with renowned teachers. As a result of her knowledge and experience, she has developed her own style of dancing and teaching methods. Yuyú Herrera has been danced and teaching professionally since 2000.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Buenos Aires, Argentina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gran Profesora de Tango”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I first came to Buenos Aires to study Tango in 2005. Since then I have studied with many of the fine teachers there. Certainly one of the very best is Yuyu. For me there is no one more perceptive, creative, and fun to work with.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Ed W

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“wonderful tango lesson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

I was given Yuyu's name as a tango teacher. She was wonderful. In 90 minutes we covered the basic steps and, although she said it takes 10 years to learn, we went through the basic steps then put them all together and it worked. We then danced freestyle using combinations of the steps and it all came together.

Yuyu taught me balance and movement and how to communicate to your partner. and now I listen to tango music differently.

Sadly I flew home the next day. I will book a lesson every day I am next in BA.

After only 90 minutes I left convinced I could go out on the floor and have a wonderful time. Yuyu gave me great confidence and I am planning my next trip to BA already. Many thanks Yuyu, I now understand the fascination with this wonderful dance.

Best wishes....George Wrey

Visited March 2014
Buenos Aires, Argentina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“More than a tango teacher”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Yuyu taught me how to become a better tango dancer. Not surprising, as that is what you would expect from even a mediocre tango teacher (at my level of dance). What was surprising was all that I learned that had nothing to do with tango (directly)! I left her classes a changed man! My energy was more grounded, my walk more balanced, my understanding of how we use our energy to interact with others more clear... all things I take with me into my daily life, and with noticeable effect, in my work, relationships, etc... She said to me "If you really learn tango, it will change your life". She was not kidding.

It was not Yuyu's intent to give me 'life' lessons. It seemed to come quite naturally to her as she 'read' my body and my energy and was able to hone in on where my problems with my dance come from... and it just so happens they parallel the problems I have in my life (go figure!).

After the first class she was able to 'read' me pretty well. "Your wings are bigger than your feet! If you are flying how can you be grounded? If you are not grounded, how can you have any stability? If you do not have stability, you will have no control and you will fall down. Come down to earth". "are we talking about tango still" I thought, because these words seemed to hit the nail on head when it came to my life.

Yuyu did not teach me 'steps'. According to her, if you connect with your body, your body will know how to move right way, and the steps kind of happen naturally. So we worked on exercises that would support my body to make those moves, but more importantly, the way I used, connected with, expressed myself though, my body. Where is my/her/our axis? how do I listen/transmit? Body language. Eye language. Finger tip language. what are my toes doing? "My Toes?? Really, are they that important?" She looked at me like I just killed my cat.

Maybe it is just a coincidence her name, Yuyu, means "magic" in Spanish, but she certainly did magic on me... and my tango has been transformed!

So, if you want to learn 'steps', she is not for you... but if you want to learn Tango, she's the one.

Visited August 2013