“A good place to stay.”

Ranked #252 of 452 Hotels in Buenos Aires
kingston ontario
“A good place to stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

We spent the month of October / 2008 in Argentina. Our first 6 days where spent at the Hotel Lyon. We also spent 3 days there at the end of our trip.
We do not speak Spanish. There was usually someone there who could speak English. This was never a problem. The staff where all excellent.One evening my wife had her purse stolen at a restaurant.We returned to the hotel to use the computer and phone. The staff where most helpful and kind .
Upon our return at the end of the month we where welcomed and made to feel at home, again, great staff.
The hotel is not new. But very clean and handy to the micro centre.
We walked a large area of Buenos Aires, and this hotel was convenient to return to by cab from anywhere.
Its also handy to any services you would want.

• Liked — Staff and location, lots of local flavor in neibourhood.
  • Disliked — could use some updateing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank motorcycletraveler_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

we spent 10 days in Buenos Aires at the Hotel Lyon. We loved it from the beginning, it is old, classy and full of character. We stayed in an apartment type room with 2 bedrooms, a sitting/dining room and large balcony. The rooms were very spacious & clean, with a fridge, and a powerful shower with plenty hot water. The staff were very helpful, friendly and professional. We left our suitcases here while we travelled to the Iguazu falls. We availed of the laundry service available to the hotel. The breakfast was coffee/tea, croissants and juice which was nice. There was free internet, and a nice foyer with leather sofas. The location is good, about 20 mins walk to santa Fe, and the Olilisk on avenue 9 julio, but a very easy walk past nice cafes, icecream parlours and shops. Great restaurant around the corner called Chiquilin. Would stay here again if I returned to BA. Great value.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank kbho
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We chose the Hotel Lyon because we were traveling as a larger family group and needed a larger suite at a reasonable price. The suite was a very large three room suite with a large bathroom which included a large bathtub/shower combination. The decor is very old, nothing glamourous or fancy, but everything was very clean and comfortable. The hotel website photos were accurate.
The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. They provided good suggestions for tours and restaurants and, when a light bulb burned out in the bathroom, they replaced it immediately.
The hotel is conveniently located for walking to restaurants, the subte and other microcenter sites.
The hotel was, for the most part, quiet and we felt safe. There was some renovation construction noise in rooms near ours during the day but we were not in our room much at that time. The breakfast is average. It was very cold in BA while we were there and the rooms were heated nicely at night by a radiator controlled by the hotel, not the guest.
I would stay there again if traveling with a group where we need to be able to spread out and not spend too much.

• Liked — Large Rooms
  • Disliked — Very dated
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ANE53
Lubjana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2008

I needed room and facilities since I arrive for 8 days business working, and plan 3 days pleasure (if I could finish) to know a bit of Buenos Aires.city, that several colleagues mention to me in Germany... in spite I never believe I really planned ever to go there.
First problem, NH wanted me to move to other of their facilities since the one i reserved where booked for some congress. All Bs.As. was "out of beds!".... so my perspective was very bad. NH of course had other rooms for extra charge.. and this mad me lot. No way the 119 dollars I reserved... and had no time to argue.
A local Argentinean Samaritan in the NH founds me a room there " No please!.. Hotel Lyon.?? I thought". ..but after 10 calls he made from his cell phone..! could´t check by myself (He hardly know me besides he has a good Dutch language dominance rather than my German-English accent that tooks me hard to argue. I always found Argentineans very naturally available to help estranges. It couldn't´t be my look since I could pass as other rather than a average German. After no other options, the choice was Lyon. I found the Hotel Nice. Like Old Parissence classical Hotel. Not fancy, of course, but with seniority. Yes old fashion too but "who would care if it ware very alike to most of the building and architecture in Bs. As"!!!. Clean, just, polite, with nice people and good passengers too, lots of "free" services, even Internet for FREE!!. That was a heck of a difference for me, since in all my long travels I found SEVERAL problems with Internet existence but not possible to use them for rare excuses even in very expensive rooms.

Breakfast OK, wasn't the best I ever take, and just I mention it to one of the managers, a nice and cult Lady, and since the 2nd day I have not chance to complain about it. The secret was to take it early before 9 am. Natural Orange Juice, good bakery and exquisite Italian coffee (Argentinneans add cream or milk by default.. you just need to tell)

Just before living the hotel, (all people work so happy there and are so naturally helpful and well disposed, that make belive they are family business.) I sure would recommend it for your stay in Bs.As. Thought the Hotel was plenty during my stay besides the building is big and the apartments are huge!. I rather always height rooms and better back-front, since light and silence is very good there if you plan to stay longer time in the room. My first day room was a smaller, darker and lower floor but for 40 it was pretty decent. I imagine for a couple or tourist that stay outside most of the time, there is always a great lobby and "comedor" that was stylist and nice.
Location is good, if you don´t mind to take subway you have at 1 block walking, for business downtown 4 minutes away, or 3 dollars taxi. For visiting you are close to Av.Santa Fe (lovely street) or to more local Av.Corrientes or an historic Av.de Mayo, with congress all inclusive just 3 blocks away.

• Liked — Space, People attitud, Services, Location
  • Disliked — Breackfast, lack of public areas, lack of Gim beside they do have a Gim one block of the building
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Iann-ellis
Petropolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

Good and ample suites with a little too soft mattresses and good bathroom with strong shower. The staff is very professional and polite. A very good hotel for USD70 / 65 per day.

• Liked — ample suits
  • Disliked — too soft mattresses
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Tchozan
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

When we got to Buenos Aires all the hotels were full and Hotel Lyon turned up to be the only one with vacancies and we had a wonderful stay ! The rooms are huge, the staff so nice and helpful,and it's great value ..definitely made our stay in Buenos Aires even better ...if we go back to Buenos Aires we definitely go back there.

• Liked — the old furniture ,it really gave a great atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing everything was truly great
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank picc0la
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

This is an old traditional hotel in Buenos Aires. The rooms, really suites, are huge. We had a two bedroom apartment with a sitting room and a dining area. The price was around 60 dollars. The breakfast is basic, but they will serve it at the room for no extra cost, and you can supplement it with food stored in the provided refrigerator. The location is excellent since it is only a couple of blocks of major insersections and metro stops, convenient to theaters, shops, and restaurants, yet it is located in a relatively quiet street. The people at the front desk are extremely friendly and helpful. If you are not expecting a modern facility, but only desire a clean, confortable, and convenient location at a moderate price, the Hotel Lyon offers exceptionally good value.

• Liked — The size and cleanliness of the rooms
  • Disliked — lack of modern facilities
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family