“Very good location!”

474 BUENOS AIRES HOTEL
Ranked #40 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed February 23, 2013

When I got there I had spent the 2 previous nights at the Design Suites Buenos Aires in Recoleta, this location was much more central and I liked this hotel much more than the previous one.
We met our family here who were comming the opposite way, so we were a big group. My mother in law didn't like that they didn't have an "adapter" for her swiss plugs. Our stay at the hotel was good, breakfast was good, location was perfect, and service was ok.
The staff seemed to me not as friendly as my previous hotel's stuff, but that's a detail.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pataswiss

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for business purposes 3 times already, and there were not any significant changes since my first time, everything keep going great and nice. I like the location, so close and accessible to all mayor attractions, in a very tranquil and safe area. There are all kinda amenities you can ask for; gym is great!
Lovely attentive staff always there for helping you out. Would never consider to choose another hotel while in BA for business.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank DBinValpa
Reviewed January 8, 2013

It was my sedond stay in this hotel. The quality is still the same. Great room, nice and clean, with a great king bed, spacious!

The location is really good, near Floria, the best atrattions, Puerto Madero!

Simple breakfest, but enought!

Ps: No pool and gym in the hotel. The have a partner gym that you can use!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are better!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank loucoportrip
Reviewed December 30, 2012

On arrival in Buenos Aires and en route to Ushuaia, we decided to stay in the Microcentro for easy access to downtown tourist sites. We chose the Tryp for its central location, relative smallness, amenities and price point. Our room at the Tryp was the best of our trip - spacious, well decorated and maintained, excellent mattress, and quiet (couldn't believe it for a 2nd floor room on a busy street). The buffet breakfast was the best of the trip, too, with well prepared dishes and excellent medalunas. The reception staff was knowledgeable and helpful regarding restaurants, sightseeing, and transportation. Loved every minute of staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LeniVancouver
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This hotel would have been a three of four star hotel except for that I was overcharged. There is nothing special about it. The hotel is close to some attractions, but puerto madero seems to be the safest area in town. The staff is attentive, but the rooms are not the best kept. There are signs of age. I have a feeling that they have been overcharging many of their US customers. I hope this is not the case and that it was an honest mistake, but I think they are pulling a fast one, read on. First of all, the bill was not put under my door the last night which is typical in US. Maybe this isn't typical in Argentina? I got down stairs and i wad presented with a bill in local currency. I was surprised by this since my reservation was quoted in USD. No big deal. I paid the bill ,but I had a feeling something wasn't right. I sat down on the couch before leaving and did the math. The price on my reservation was quoted at say 5 nights for $1000 usd. This was not the actual rate, just using easy numbers as an example. This would make it $200 per night. The current exchange rate when I checked out was $4.9 peso per usd. The guy at the front desk took the $200 per night and multiplied it by 5.4 to get a rate of 1,080 per night instead of the actual exchange rate of 4.9 which would have been 980 pesos per night. The 5.4 is a completely made up number.

The reason I think they are screwing customers is that his first response was "this is the hotel's exchange rate". You can not make up your own exchange rate when the reservation was quoted in another currency. It would be a different story if you were actually exchanging physical dollars--there is always a "buy" rate and "sell" rate when you are exchanging physical money, but this is not the case here.

I was subsequently given a refund for the difference, close to $500 pesos. I'm still getting kind of screwed because I am going to have to pay a foreign transaction fee on my credit card. Since the reservation was quoted in usd, I was under the assumption I could pay with that.

Another tip: be careful of people trying to exchange money on the street. Your safest bet is the ATM . Three are some shops out there that will accept usd, and give you a better exchange rate paying with usd. Take some of both. This is bizarre.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Thetravelor05
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Our flight got in after dark, and we were horrified when the taxi pulled up to the hotel. The hotel is on a very scary looking street after dark. With all of the graphatti laced steel shutters and garbage in the streets. This is the case for many places in this area. That being said, this hotel doesn't have a drive up. The taxi let us off on the other side of the curb. The person at the front desk literally ran across the street to help us. Kudos. The hotel does look better during the day.

The hotel proudly has displayed a trip advisor award in the front window. The reason for only three stars is that it seems like the hotel is slowly letting the property deteriorate. Probably 5 years ago, this hotel would have rocked. The finishes in the room are nice- a dark colored wood finish. The tv that you see in the picture when you search for the hotel is this very cool tv stand that is suspended in the middle of the room that rotates 360 degrees so you can watch tv on couch. My room was a suite- one of the two they say. Not sure if all other rooms would have this. That being said, although the tv itself is a nice tv, the channels are generally not in hd. Another cool feature is the wireless temperature remote.

The reason for the three stars is the lack of detail to the finer points. The water pressure is hard to control. There is carpet that is tearing in the room. The shower head is rusty. The tile grout in the bathroom is either missing in some spots or dirty in others. See some of my pictures. If this is how it is in the one of two suites, I can only imagine the regular room.

The elevators are pretty slow and the mechanism to scan your card to get up to the room works half the time.

All in all, service was good but some of the above mentioned problems are unacceptable if you are going to display a trip advisor award in your window.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank cecildadj
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and me were 8 nights in buenos aires and booked 4 nights in palermo (hotel craft) and 4 nights here. After the first night here we cancelld the reservation and went back to palermo. The hotel is clean but in a very ugly and dirty neighbourhood, the staff is great and the hotel in the midle of the center. If you have the choice: stay in palermo and take a cheap taxi to visit the few things here!

5  Thank fab4kite