“Palermo Viejo B&B: Great location, comfortable rooms, and very reasonable prices”

Palermo Viejo Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 256 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I booked five nights at the Palermo Viejo B&B, which didn't appear in any of my travel books, purely on the advice of TripAdvisor. Certainly, Ariel, the B&B's proprietor was very helpful and responsive over email, but I couldn't help but feel a little nervous about venturing out beyond the Lonely Planet, etc. Any anxiety I may have felt was quickly alleviated upon arrival. After getting out of our taxi from Ezeiza, we were warmly greeted (in English) at the door by Ivanna, who gave us a quick tour of the property and helped orient us to our surroundings with a map and ideas for activities in Buenos Aires.

The Palermo Viejo B&B is located right off the intersection of Scalabrini Ortiz and Niceto Vega, in the hip Palermo Viejo neighborhood. Scalabrini Ortiz is a very busy thoroughfare with lots of buses and taxis whizzing back and forth, but the B&B is tucked away on the small side street of Niceto Vega, which also takes you into the heart of this quaint neighborhood packed with hip restaurants and boutiques. All the cutting-edge Palermo restaurants you've heard or read about are well within walking distance of the B&B. The location could not be better for exploring Palermo. Connections to other parts of Buenos Aires are also easy from here. Taxis are plentiful and cheap. The closest Subte station is about a 10-15 minute walk. There are a couple banks with ATMs around the corner on Cordoba, and supermarkets and grocery stores a couple blocks away on Scalabrini Ortiz.

The rooms are well appointed and clean. Ariel converted his former family home into the B&B, giving the guest rooms modern touches such as stained concrete floors, Scandinavian-style furniture, air conditioning, cable TV, Wi-Fi, and private baths. There is a small but lovely garden courtyard facing the rooms, and the common living/dining room is an excellent place to chat with Ariel and Ivanna or other guests about travel suggestions. The common room has a small library of travel books and a computer for free Internet access. A standard continental breakfast (pastries, yogurt, coffee, tea, and juice) is served late into the morning, something travelers will appreciate once they adjust to the late night culture in Argentina.

Ariel and Ivanna are gracious hosts and more than willing to help guests with reservations for transportation, restaurants, tango shows, etc. This comes in handy if your Spanish language skills aren't so great. And from what I could gather, that was the case for many of the guests, who seemed to come primarily from the United States, Canada, and Europe.

The rates are very reasonable, given the quality of the rooms, the service, and the fantastic location.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tofu_dog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We had initially booked the 3 rooms to also include our teenagers and the mother-in-law. But unfortunately m-in-l's age do not permit the trip from Australia. Thank god as we walked and travelled plenty in 3 days.

We stayed for a few days with our teenagers in Jan. After arriving in BA, the taxi trip to Palermo overawed us a little with the immense size, people and noise. But upon arrival in Palermo, we had entered a paradise. It was quiet with little traffic and people. As it was the afternoon, the bars, cafes and boutiques (not for me) were just starting to open.

The Viejo B&B is hidden from the street with no signage, but inside is a tranquil setting. Rooms enter from a beautiful covered courtyard. We even experienced a typical Aussie thunderstorm, so sitting in the courtyard with a wine during a down pour was special.

The rooms are large, clean and cool. Ariel (the owner) was very helpful with plenty of suggestions. He arranged a Tango show and transport, and was full of ideas for more than our 3 days. A 18 Arg peso (about US$6) taxi fare and we were into the hustle and bustle of the town, and the same to get back out again to some sanity at the B&B.

Our teenagers loved the B&B with only one whinge. After 3 weeks lapping up the ship's food by the barrow load, breakfast was simple and typically Sth America. Ample for me and my wife.

I believe there is no typical age group or limit to this B&B. Everyone young or old will enjoy the experience

It is an embarrassment to only have 3 days in this B&B, district and city, but Iguazu called. Hi to Chippy and Laurie from the UK - A great couple we meet at the B&B and travelled to & from the Falls with.

• Liked — big rooms
  • Disliked — I heard a bus beep one morning - big deal
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MSAussies
southampton
Reviewed March 10, 2008

have recently returned from a 4 night stay here and really enjoyed it. Ariel the owner is very friendly and helpful in arranging any trips in BA and speaks excellent English. The breakfast includes fresh fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice, the rooms are clean with fresh towels daily and you can come and go as you please. it is in a great location and we did not find a problem with noise or booking/ reservation as described on previous posts. we would recommend this as a place to stay in palermo

• Liked — great host
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank itchyfeetSouthampton
amsterdam
Reviewed March 6, 2008

This nicely decorated bed and breakfast by various artists was the perfect stay. With charming rooms and very kind service in one of the best shop & dine area's of Buenos Aires. They have great breakfast and a 24hr service to help you arrange anything you want do or see. We even bought a fantastic piece of Art from this bed & breakfast. A stay here is absolutely worth your while!

• Liked — location & staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hollanders
London
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Through our jobs my friend and I have been lucky/unlucky enough to stay in some of the best and worst hotels, resorts and B+Bs in the world.
On this occasion we were on a bit of a budget so researched where to stay in B.A thoroughly and decided that this sounded like the best bet for us.
It turned out to be a great decision and unlike many luxury 5 star places and dodgy 2 star places that I’ve been in the past I would absolutely recommend it to my friends. If I am lucky enough to return to Buenos Aires, even if I win the lottery I don’t think I will stay anywhere else! In terms of value for money, location and personal service its spot on.

It’s a small B+B so of course the rooms and facilities can not be compared with a luxury resort but the rooms are spotlessly clean and well appointed and the service exceeds the level you would get in many 5 star hotels. The only thing that could improve the rooms would be a small fridge to keep the ludicrously cheap yet delicious Argentinean Chandon champagne (OK technically sparkling wine ) from the shop around the corner, cold!

There is a prevailing friendly atmosphere and Ariel was able to answer pretty much any question we managed to come up with, where to get haircuts, which bus to get to La Boca, where to get the best steak, when to go to the antique markets! I really liked how Ariel and Ivana took extra care over their guests and how sociable the place was without being intrusive or full of noisy revellers. There are only a handful of rooms but everyone eats breakfast at one big table so we met some great people from all over the world and from all different walks of life! It was interesting how the place seemed to attract very different yet like minded people.

The location is superb; you are within second’s walk of a labyrinth of great boutiques, stylish bars and fabulous restaurants. The previous reviewer does say it’s a subjective opinion but he must either have very sensitive hearing or not be used to living in a city. I didn’t notice the sound of traffic and didn’t think the road outside was particularly busy. Unless you are super sensitive to noise then I wouldn’t take any notice of the previous review.

I’m the first to complain if something isn’t up to scratch or is poor value for money and this really is a great find and it would be a shame if the past 2 reviews put anyone off staying here.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Traveller13London
at the beach
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Summary:
1) great location
2) really helpful and friendly (your call and beckon) staff
2) arty/chic room with powerful aircon
3) the price

First of all the location is excellent! This B&B is within a 4 minute stroll to the heart of Palermo. Literally a few blocks from some amazing boutiques, restaurants and shady cobbled streets.

We stayed in the middle room which is tall and lofty; the bed was firm, the air-conditioning savage and the bathroom well appointed. Its obvious that the owner (who turned out to be an architect/ designer) put some effort in.

With no sign out front this B&B is hidden from the public and only those with a key can open the barricade door to get into the property. You then need another key to get into your room. So coming-and-going is safe and easy.

Breakfast was simple (nothing over the top) but plenty to get you on your way!

We stayed at the Home hotel for 4 nights before coming to Palermo Viejo. Palermo Viejo is just as arty, if that’s what you’re after, and while there is no spa or pool the location makes up for Home’s distance to the good stuff.

We also stayed at The Art Hotel on our way home. Would have preferred to have gone back to Palermo Viejo 

Thanks again guys. great place you've got.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank on_the_run_again
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed February 26, 2008

last week i booked an 8-night stay (>>2 wks in advance), gave my credit card info over the phone, then (as i always do) asked about the cancellation policy (**10 days in advance, else they'll charge you for either 1/2 or the whole stay**). a couple days ago (>2 wks in advnace) ago they emailed me to reconfirm, which i was going to do after deciding which one night i'd be going to iguazu. now 12 days before my arrival, *they* cancelled the reservation because they're "small, are getting other requests, and have had too many no-shows lately." i *called again* to say i was still planning to *keep* the reservation (except for soon-to-be resolved uncertainty about 1 night), then asked him to email me again re: the cancellation policy (which he was trying to discuss again but this was costing me $$$). he emailed me asking for my phone # saying he would call, then 5 min later emailed me again saying he had irrevocably cancelled the reservation "sorry, but that's how it is, cancellation policy works for them too." they twice asked me how i found out about them, so i sense they're a little starved for business and paranoid about no-shows, so WATCH OUT, THEY MIGHT SELL YOU OUT. i'm going to stay at another b/b in palermo viejo for <1/2 the price that's also closer to the subway.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank kcl932
PalermoViejoBB, owner at Palermo Viejo Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 3, 2008
Hi Everybody,
In two years this is the first time I have to cancel a reservation. I've never done this before.
I have here 5 emails I had sent her asking a reconfirmation. And yes, it is because possible no shows. Where is the sin? After asking me several times about cancellation policy and not understanding ours.
If she was deciding one night out, that wasn't the problem. She "never" got back to me in one week . I couldn't wait more, since her arrival was close and if she was finally coming to BA, I wanted to give her the time to find another place.
People get here almost knowing me after an exchange of emails.
I asked her her phone number and never got a response. Not knowing anything from her after a week I had to cancel her reservation because I had 4 people waiting, knowing about our services and dedication to guests.
Once I did it, she called me a second later. Stange, isn't it?
All I asked her is to reconfirm. She didn't do it. so, 12 days in advance, I cancelled her . She doesn't know anything about our service. All the PREVIOUS REVIEWS tell how we are, work and treat our guests.
She had the time to place a review here but she didn't have it to take one minute and send her phone number and/or the reconfirmation for her long stay.
And if I ask how people find us, it's just for marketing purposes. Thanks God, we are full most of the time, so the "starved for Business" is just a bad thought.
Once again, this wouldn't have happened if she would have got back to me, at least once.