“Boom, Thud, Boom, Bass”

Portal del Sur Hostel
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Boom, thud, bass.

It was 2:30 AM and i'd been travelling over 24 hours, I hadn't slept in 2 nights, and the boom, thud, bass was keeping me awake even longer

Where was this music coming from?

I was tired, and desperate to sleep so I decided to investigate and see if I kind the source of this music

I went down to reception

''Where's the music coming from?''

''Oh, that's from the nightclub next door''

''Great, when does it stop''

''Around 4 in the morning''

''But its a Monday?''

''Yes, they open Monday, Friday, Saturday'

The next morning I decided to leave, I wasn't prepared to take any further risk on going into a 4 straight day without sleep.

To be fair, the receptionist offered me a different room and a small discount on the previous night.

Other than the music this hostel has few redeeming features. The rooms and bathrooms are old and the communal area on the roof isn't very inviting or sociable. People will go up there for breakfast, but they wont go up 4 flights of stairs any other time.

I stayed here as my guidebook (footprint Argentina) said it was a good place to meet people, which being a single traveler i did, but I cant see how even in high season connections happen in this hostel.

There are other better places to stay in B.A

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ryan N
There are newer reviews for Portal del Sur Hostel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The room was comfortable and the one we were in had a private bath/shower. I found the staff friendly and very helpful. While it doesn't have the amenities that one expects in hotels, it is better than many hotels and is one of the best hostels I have stayed in across several countries. From the hostel, it is a short walk to a wide array of services as well as historic and cultural sites. If returning to Buenos Aires, I definitely would stay at the Portal del Sur Hostel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are the best rooms generally. Corner rooms seem to be a bit larger. A basi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked for 6 nights and stayed for one before checking into similarly priced but superior Hotel Centuria round the corner. It was Saturday night and it was Friends festival (?) in Argentina. We stayed in a double room on the fourth floor which felt like sleeping under a nightclub. Which it was. We got 2 hours sleep thanks to music, screaming and banging doors. There's also a club next door. One saving grace was the receptionist Adrian who was genuinely helpful and great when we checked in. Otherwise don't bother.

Room Tip: Don't stay on 4 th floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveBonnar
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I spent about ten days here in April 2013. The staff (in particular one woman) lied to me about how many days I had paid for. At first I believed her, then I checked my own records. I got my money back (from a different staff member), but it took way too much negative effort.

On May 31st I returned, this time I asked for the advertised10% Hostelling International discount, since I had purchased a membership. The same woman told me the dorm room would cost 75 AR pesos, a 10% discount off the 83 AR pesos rate. Right. I shook my head and walked away.

Now I am in a different hostel and have checked the on-line price of the dorm room - surprise, surprise, 75 AR pesos (and 6 person rooms are only 70 AR pesos, a fact she conveniently 'forgot' to tell me).

This kind of [--] is unacceptable and I would not recommend anyone put up with it.

P.S. During my first stay I gave them my laundry. They lost a pair of my socks. Not just one sock - a matching pair. I'm guessing they actually lost one, and threw away the other. Not my type of folk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very good Hostel!
Really enjoyed my stay there..
Clean, nice rooms, kind staff and great location!

I was there in December, 2010... Summer.. they have a Rooftop Bar.. Really nice to relax by the night!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Unfortunately the only good thing about this hostel is its location. Don't expect anything else. Bathroom was filthy, room was filthy too, unhelpful staff. I only recommend if you look for a cheap place with great location in Buenos. Hostel very close to subway and all city's attractions.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Nice staff. Very good location, it's really ju in the center, close to everything. It was a very social hostel. But the beds were very bad and the breakfast was boring.
But very good for the price and I loved this hostel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends