“Cozy. Great service. Would stay here again.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Art Suites

Art Suites
Ranked #130 of 450 Hotels in Buenos Aires
San Francisco
“Cozy. Great service. Would stay here again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

We booked to stay here at the last minute after getting stuck in BA due to a national strike so we did not have any expectations.

What we ended up with was a cute little apartment that would be perfect for a multi day stay. The staff was very helpful and spoke perfect English. The en suite breakfast at the time of your choosing was a nice touch.

I have already recommended this place to others.

Only complaint: we could not figure out how to work the safe and there were no instructions. But the place has a doorman at all times so we were not to concerned.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Over the last 12 years, I have stayed in numerous hotels in Buenos Aires when I come on business. This hotel was arranged for me by the Latin American sales rep so I didn't have any input on where I wanted to be.

The Art Suites is basically an apartment building that has been turned into a hotel. There are two suites per floor. I had a suite facing the back of the hotel which made my room very quiet but a little on the dark side.

There was a livingroom/dining room combo with a small balcony. Small kitchen area. The bedroom was large and the bathroom had a tub. The whole place was very clean. The bed was comfortable.

The only thing I really didn't like was the fact that the breakfast was continental and brought to the room in the morning. That being said, in my experience, breakfast isn't really something to look forward to in Argentina. There are small stores around to purchase fruit, yougart, etc.but didn't want to go out in the cold and rain to hunt something down.

The guys at the front desk were very nice and helpful.

I probably won't stay here again because it was far from the customer's office. Apparently, all the other hotels closer where full.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the back of the hotel. If you like breakfast, you will need to buy somethi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank IntlTrainer
La Crescenta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Travelers who plan to spend more than a couple of day in Buenos Aires should consider booking an apartment for their stay. Art Suites, located in the upscale Recoleta district, is a great option. My traveling buddy and I stayed at the Suites for a week in May, and were grateful every day for the 2nd bed & bath, and the fully equipped kitchen. Oddly, I never really noticed the art work in the room! It's supposed to be a featured element, and is for sale...
PROS:
- Location is excellent, being just a few blocks south of the Recoleta Cemetery, upscale Mall, and 'restaurant row'. A large supermarket is only 1-1/2 blocks away (after a few days of restaurant food, my friend and I couldn't wait to grocery shop for salad fixings!)
- Clean! Daily maid service is provided.
- Breakfast is brought to your room daily, and consists of coffee, tea, yogurt and an assortment of delicious bread rolls and croissants. Go ahead and enjoy the bread - you'll walk it off!
- The staff was very helpful and friendly. In planning the trip, it was much easier to reach them by email than phone. They responded within a day or so, and patiently answered every picky question we could think to ask. Germann, the daytime concierge, speaks good English and is as sweet and helpful as he could be, recommending activities and booking tickets and taxis for us whenever we asked.
- Cable tv - we were happy to find a couple channels that offered shows in English. Nice break from the Spanish that surrounds you every minute outside the room.
- The room: Good sized apartment, consisting of a livingroom with flat-panel tv, full kitchen, a large and very nice master bedroom with a king-sized bed and spacious en suite bath that includes a whirlpool tub. The master bedroom also has access to the large balcony that stretches the length of the apartment. The suites are clearly intended for families, as the 2nd bedroom is furnished with 2 small single beds, perfect for kids, but not so perfect for adults used to at least a full-sized bed. I lost the coin toss, so I spent my nights laying carefully, flat on my back with my arms folded across my chest, hoping I didn't roll over and land on the floor.
CONS:
- As mentioned above, the 2nd bedroom (unless you are traveling with small kids...). Also, the window in the 2nd bedroom looks out onto a grimy alleyway, which serves as the access point for morning deliveries and trash pickup, so several mornings I was jarred awake at 5AM by ear-piercing beeps.
- The 2nd bathroom is tiny, and again, intended for kids. The shower is big enough (no tub), but the toilet is so close to the wall that anyone taller than 5'4" will be in danger of sitting with their knees pressing against the tile wall. There are no shelves, and the sink has zero room to set anything down, so all my toiletries had to live in my bedroom and rotate in as needed.
- The sofa in the livingroom is insanely hard. Insanely, incredibly uncomfortable. Really.
- The Suites are on a busy, noisy street. Noise levels in the apartment are okay as long as the windows are closed, but if you want a little air (I hesitate to say 'fresh' air) and open a window, the traffic noise is overwhelming.
- Although the Suites are advertized as non-smoking, that's a hard rule to enforce. Guests smoke on their balconies, and the smoke drifts right into the rooms. The guests in the room above us - who had 2 small children - completely ignored the non-smoking rule. As soon as they returned to their room in the evening, both parents must have lit up and continued to chain smoke until bedtime. Our apartment filled with smoke, causing me (asthma-girl) to flee our room on more than one occasion. After several days I finally complained to the management, and upon returning to our room that night, we were met with a blast of cloying, perfumed air that was apparently meant as a remedy. Not so much. This is always a problem when I travel, unless I opt to stay at the most expensive hotels. And even then, there are no guarantees. At least Buenos Aires stays open and interesting at night, so there was always something to do when I had to flee!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank JMS7-8
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

There still does not seem to be a separate entry for Art Suites and Gallery, the newer property from Art Suites so I'll put my review of that one here. For clarity, this review is for the property on 2268 Pena.

The location is great. It is within walking distance to a big Cotto supermarket as well as great restaurants within a couple of blocks. Cabs are easy to find and not that expensive. The building is discreet. You would not know it is a hotel from the outside, it looks just like other residential buildings in the area. So you must remember the address when you go there. That said, there's something about living like a local for a while, I think which living in this hotel, you could kind of pretend like you're doing.

The rooms are fantastic. We ended up seeing the penthouse 2 bedroom unit, 1 bedroom units as well as the 2 bedroom unit on the 9th floor. Even the single bedroom units are huge! The fridge is full size, the kitchen is well equipped. The penthouse unit is great but we preferred the one on the 9th floor which has amazing floor space, a balcony, two bathrooms and room for a 5th person on a pull out couch. With just three of us staying there, it felt so roomy!

The breakfast isn't a lot but it's substantial enough. You have breads, milk, choice of coffee, tea or chocolate, yogurt with cereal, etc. If you want to have more then you can just buy from the supermarket and cook in the kitchen.

The prices are also great. It's not super cheap and real value for money, I think. The staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful.

Remember that the place is more like an apart-hotel so there's no room service and other such amenities. So if you're looking for the convenience of a hotel experience, this is not the place for you. But if you are independent and want the room and the ability to cook for yourself, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom unit on the 9th floor is amazing! If you have a group of 4, I highly recommend it. Bu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sleepyinsomniac
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay from it's unique and quirky building to the comfort of the suites, the welcoming and helpfulness of the staff, the great breakfasts and the fast efficient service. I would highly recommend this as a place to stay. The art displayed is all for sale, so it really is a living art gallery. The staff really made the stay, with their keenness to help in any way possible, nothing was a bother, and for those of us who spoke English, it was a welcome change knowing that our requests were understood accurately.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are very similar due to the narrowness of the building. Most of the rooms are...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here with our three children in a two bedroom apartment. We wanted to all stay together, and so this was perfect for us. The apartment was large and clean. The location is in a nice part of town and very convenient to many sights, and the price was reasonable. We definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

This is a fantastic find.Really nice,helpful staff,large suites,immaculate too!Nice breakfast,great location,good price.What else do you need!Its a jewel in BA.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends