“I Wish All Boutiques were like Home”

Home Hotel Buenos Aires
Ranked #4 of 446 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Nyc
“I Wish All Boutiques were like Home”
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Home was mentioned in two of my most trusted travel guides; The New York Times and Time Out Buenos Aires. Both recommended the hotel but the location had me worried. Home is located on what I thought to be, literally, the wrong side of the tracks. That is to say that Palermo, and I don't recommend staying in any other section of BA, is split by rail tracks into Soho and Hollywood. Soho is more evolved as a tourist destination than Hollywood which is still a bit raw and less discovered by both tourists and locals alike. ( For those that know NYC think the West Village verses the East Village. The East Village being the new place to hang, the West being the place for non Manhattanites).

I decided to split my time between Home in Hollywood and Soho ( I stayed at the Nuss Hotel in Soho). I was not disappointed at all with Palermo Hollywood and Home. It's a small hotel and it does have a home vibe to it. A lobby that is welcoming and a restaurant that attracts locals for coffee during the day and dinner late into the evening. A n Apple Mac in the lobby free for the guests and free wifi through the hotel. An excellent driver to get you any where you want, not just the airport. And a little film and TV industry scene happening in the restaurant.

My only small problem was with the breakfasts that tended to be a bit too avant-garde for me, but still good. At lunch and dinner you'll find locals dining there.

I visited during the Argentine summer and I have to say that the backyard pool at Home was the highlight of my stay in BA. The rooms were comfortable and decorated in cheerful colors ( why do other boutique hotels think gray and brown is inviting?). Avoid rooms that face the street for a smaller interior room for quiet.

As far as it's location. Home is a ten minute walk from the center of Soho. If you prefer not to cross the dark rail tracks at night grab a taxi for $2 or $3. Explore the areas southwest of Home and you will find funky little shops and restaurants. (Olsen, Gorriti 5870). By far my favorite restaurant was RAVELLO, one bloc north from Home. There is very little english being spoken here, a tourist was a rare sight. It's mostly tables of families and neighbors out for a good meal at very fair prices. I have to say that the simple fare is great.

So my advice is leave Soho to the tourists and stay in Hollywood. Stay at Home for the great service, comfortable and clean rooms, and great little scene by day and night.

Tips;
Explore the neighborhood
Use the hotel's driver. He's friendly and most of all a good safe driver.
Head back to the hotel and lounge by the pool for lunch.
Beware ATMs. I have literally travelled around the world and BA is the only place my ATM card didn't work.

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank hi3655

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
London, UK
Reviewed March 26, 2010

This place is truly a find in busy BA.

We stayed here for 5 nights as part of our 4-week honeymoon in South America.
Had Room 6 which was lovely and quiet and overlooked garden and pool.

The hotel is small and personal, and there are nice communal spaces to enjoy when not in your room.
It is trendy but not too cool, and the location is fantastic provided you like walking from bar to shop to cafe to bar to restaurant!
The real treasure at Home though is the unbelievable service from the front desk staff who really are in the know of what tourists are looking for and anticipated our every need. Nothing is too much trouble for them so we felt on our trip we got a true insider´s experience in BA.
The breakfast and bar is excellent also, bartenders and wait staff super friendly and like to have a chat if you are there on your own.

I really couldn´t rate Home any higher. It has been an absolute highlight in our South American honeymoon!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lauren1979
AZ
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My sister and I stayed here along with 2 other hotels last year while in BA, and this was our favorite. It was trendy but not too trendy or cheesy, good location, front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and good breakfast. We didn't eat at the restaurant but had a couple drinks at the bar which were delicious. There's a nice if small-ish pool with lounge chairs to relax. The little guides in the room with restaurant, bar, and shopping recommendations were awesome.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank kmr79
Denver
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Everything about this stylish hotel is well conceived and beautifully executed from the well appointed rooms to the lavish, delicious breakfast. The staff is extraordinary, treating us as friends and providing advice and service professionally. The driver, Cesar, is a gem. He took us on a tour of Buenos Aires and taught us the history of the city and wonderful quirky details about places and people who contributed to the vibrant culture. The staff members have outstanding linguistic skills and know the city very well. The guidebook prepared by the staff and given to guests was like a perfect little Lonely Planet for Palermo. My only complaint is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kayakerdiane
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2010

In the hectic city of Buenos Aires you need a haven to retreat to with good advice,caring staff and welcoming smiles...This is what Home Hotel provides...The staff are outstanding...taking their lead from the owners. We know what it takes to make people feel relaxed and welcome when they are travelling...we do it for a living back home in the UK(Millgate House)..Here at Home they have elevated it to an art form. Add to this a superb breakfast. Add further thoughtfully appointed immaculately clean rooms, a pool surrounded by a beautiful garden, a bar with friendly intelligent staff...and you are approaching perfection for a place to stay. The even have a knowledgeable, friendly English speaking driver to whisk you from A to B if you wish to avoid some of the rogue taxis drivers in the city...be careful on this one!! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The acid test ...would I go back...Yes tomorrow....and many times more.. Do I have any reservations...yes recommending it...it will be soon so full I will never get in!!!! Incidentally the location is superb for eating and shopping...Do not miss Tegui around the corner...world class eating.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AUSTIN l
Michigan
Reviewed February 16, 2010

If you want to stay in the Palermo Hollywood area, stay here! The trendiest restaurants are in this area and it's within walking distance of Palermo Soho for offbeat shopping. This gorgeous hotel has a pool and the best (and most beautiful) breakfast we've ever had! 2 different kinds of freshly squeezed juice, yogurt and fruit, basket of breads and scrambled eggs too pretty to eat. The staff were extremely helpful in calling museums to check their hours, getting us taxis, and recommending restaurants. We used their car service to the airport and Caesar was very efficient. We've been ripped off by taxi drivers in the past (watch out for counterfeit bills) so we were happy to use Caesar as recommended by the hotel. This is a very popular hotel so book way ahead of time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LooneyandOllie
Vancouver
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed 5 days in BA in Dec 2009 (we could have done it in 3). The rooms were a little dated but clean. There breakfast, which is included, was one of the best we had in the four weeks we were in Argentina. The best thing about the Home Hotel was they provided this little booklet on BA including good restraunts and things to do. /The restraunts recommended by them were some of the best we had. The staff was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. We would stay there again which I think says it all.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple