“Great Place in Buenos Aires”
Review of The 5th Floor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
The 5th Floor
Ranked #4 of 256 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“Great Place in Buenos Aires”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I came back a month ago from a 10 day trip to Buenos Aires (and it is really the case to say that time flies, as I was really thinking of writing this as soon as I got back). I stayed the entire time at the 5th Floor and this really made the difference in the quality of my stay; and this for many reasons.

I got an immediate reply to my e-mail requesting for room availability, I had a reliable and very friendly taxi driver waiting for me at the arrivals of the airport (and then he drove me back when I left), somebody was downstairs waiting for me when the taxi arrived, the apartment is amazingly beautiful with an incredible terrace that you will fully appreciate only when you see it (and enjoy it), my room was extremely nice and comfortable, the entire place was spotless, it was possible to have tea or coffee at any time, there was a fruit basket always available and a very well supplied honesty bar, the location was very convenient in a very nice neighborhood and very close to a subway stop and to a number of bus stops.

If I had known all this in advance, I would have been perfectly happy to choose the 5th Floor. But there was so much more. Miles and Veronica were wonderful. Breakfast was delicious (I got slowly converted from a continental breakfast to a delicious English breakfast where every ingredient had a story), every morning while having breakfast I would discuss with Veronica and Miles my plans for the day and immediately I got maps of the areas I intended to visit, advice on places where to eat or have a snack, of events and exhibition or shops and tips on how to move from one place to the other. I wanted to get tango classes and not only they found me teachers but also I could use the terrace for the lessons. I was always welcome to join in when their friend were around for a drink and a talk. On the day of my arrival, I was invited to a Vietnamese dinner they organized on the terrace and I met a lot of very interesting people (the best way to understand the concept of a “Puerta Cerrada”). And above all, I could always sit down with Miles and Veronica and have a nice talk or a suggestion. The list would not be complete without mentioning Daniela and Osvaldo who were always there and always ready to assist for anything that was needed.

I had a wonderful time and the niceness and availability of Veronica and Miles really made the difference. The only thing for which they cannot have any credit (I think) was the gorgeous weather. What else can I say? I will definitely go back and I am warmly suggesting the 5th Floor to my friends and to anybody that is planning to visit Buenos Aires.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank antonella111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I recently visited BA for the first time and fell in love with the city. Part of what made my trip so wonderful was staying at The 5th Floor in the trendy Palermo district. (It's right near the Alto Palermo shopping mall.) This B&B occupies two floors in a lovingly restored Art Deco building. Each room has its own personality, and even the smallest is quite comfortable. The respective skills and personalities of the proprietors combine to make guests feel pampered: Verónica, a native of BA will help you plan your daily itineraries or find whatever it is you want to see or do. Miles, her British husband, will cook your breakfast to order in the morning and share some wine with you when you return at the end of a long day of sight-seeing. Both of them help guests feel at home. The 5th Floor is on a quiet side street just a few minutes' walk from Santa Fe avenue. I found it to be a perfect location, with multiple bus lines stopping nearby. (Verónica helped me get a bus pass, explained which buses to take and where to stop.) There's a big supermarket around the corner and numerous cafés. (Verónica suggested a little sidewalk place a few blocks away where I had one of my favorite meals.) Energetic visitors will find that many sites are within walking distance too; Recoleta Cemetery, Evita Museum and the Museum of Latin American Art (MALBA.) Price-wise, I found the 5th Floor to be quite reasonable; it compares quite comparably to similar places.

Room Tip: Even the smallest room is very comfy, perfect for a solo traveler.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Arashibi
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The 5th Floor is great for travelers who appreciate authentic cultural experiences, genuinely friendly hosts, and carefully edited interior design.

I'll start with the hosts - Miles and Veronica's mission is to give travelers a real feel for Buenos Aires, above and beyond the regular tourist destinations. They have a finger on the pulse of the city and made some terrific recommendations for us. They were also very accommodating to some last-minute requests, and provided a level of service you'd never get at a regular hotel. My husband had to catch a super-early flight, and Miles got up with him to make coffee and see him to his cab. Later that morning, Daniela the chef came in just to make breakfast for me. We had a great chat about cooking philosophies (and breakfast was delicious).

The space is very cool, aesthetically. I could see someone doing a vintage wedding photoshoot on those gorgeous marble stairs, or in the art deco lounge. There are nice touches of luxury just where it counts: decadent bedding, beautiful outdoor patio, and a well-stocked honesty bar.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The 5th floor was recommended by a friend who lives in BA who had visited the B & B for a dinner and found it charming and beautiful, and she enjoyed the warm hospitality of Miles and Veronica. We have been coming to BA for many years, owned an apt for a few years, which we sold in 2012. Since then we have rented apts.,but the transition to the pace of the city and requirements for renting a place has been a hectic experience...... Shopping, unpacking, etc.
On this trip we booked a room Feb.10th at "The 5th floor", and it was a delightful 2 days to unwind and relax after a long flight. We had a spacious and comfortable room with a spacious and well appointed bathroom with an excellent shower. We were shown the public areas including the dining/ breakfast room with a nice terrace in good weather. There was a large living room with an honors bar and adjacent terrace.
In the evening there was a champagne reception where the other guests as well as some visitors
gathered in the living room with Veronica and Miles for snacks drinks and conversation. There were exchanges about experiences and recommendations from Miles and Veronica.
The next day, we were served a delicious breakfast before exploring the neighborhood to change $, charge up cell phones and SUBE cards to use on the buses and Subte.
Miles and Veronica gave some helpful information, and Veronica called our cell phone carrier to charge the phones without needing us to make a trip to the phone office. She also made a reservation at a restaurant for dinner in the evening at a recommended local parrilla.
Staying at "The 5th floor" at the start of our trip gave us a chance to catch our breath and relax in a very clean and organized house which was much more comfortable and relaxed than a hotel would have been!
Great people, great location, great B&B!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed March 20, 2014

By way of background, we travel 3-4 times/year overseas. We usually stay at B & Bs. This one is one of the best we experienced. The owners Miles and Veronica are the most accommodating people you could hope for. Miles sent his driver to the airport to pick us up. He greeted us at the street door and helped us with our luggage. They upgraded our room, just because they had one available, at no extra charge. Miles is down to earth, knowledgeable and prides himself in his culinary art. He cooks breakfast and it is very good and served promptly in the dining room or their lovely terrace. There is an honor bar (well stocked) and a balcony off the living room in which to have a drink and watch the world go by. The room was impeccably decorated, furnished and maintained, as is the entire Inn.
However, the crown jewel is Veronica. She is delightful and accommodating. She has put together maps for the guest, showing the main attractions of the city. She can guide you to the nearby shopping area (their place is centrally located to everything) and her sense of responsibility goes beyond any and all expectations. As an example, American Airlines lost our luggage, 3 days later they found it. Veronica took the call from American and patiently waited, in the living room, until nearly 1 AM, when American delivered the bags.

This one is one of the vey best we have seen. Kudos to them.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

The care that Miles Lewis and his partner Veronica have lavished on this boutique B & B in the fashionable Palermo district of BA is beyond belief. From the moment you dismount the lift on the 5th Floor of an apparently private apartment block, you are welcomed into a world you couldn't hope to enter without the expertise, warmth and local knowledge provided by your hosts.

Each room is beautifully furnished and equipped in Deco style but with 21st Century accessories - smart TVs, turbo hair dryers, needle sharp monsoon showers, crisp white linens and super efficient AC.

Miles and Veronica provide a delicious comfortable salon, honesty bar, breakfast terrace and the run of the place for you and your guests. Miles plunders the best grocers, bakers, butchers and wine stores to provide brilliant delicacies for breakfast and sumptuous or exotic nibbles at impromptu drinks parties or soirées for his guests, their friends and local VIPs.

Miles and Veronica become close and trusted friends if you like that, or a discrete, sophisticated background to your stay in BA.

The 5th Floor, above every other experience we've enjoyed on an extensive and exotic trip to Argentina and Brazil, provided the impetus for a definite return to Argentina, Buenos Aires and the compulsion to share the experience with friends and connoisseurs of style and adventure.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Miles103, Owner at The 5th Floor, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Susi, thank you for your generous and extravagantly titled review. I hope it does not raise guest expectations too high! While the property certainly does contribute some feel of history and atmosphere, all we really try and do is offer best available quality and old fashioned hospitality. For travellers like you and Vilma who were determined to get the most out of your stay, Buenos Aires is really a very easy city to help people enjoy as it is offers so much accessible culture, long opening times and easy transport. Luckily, you still have much to see so we look forward to your next visit and gin and tonics on the terrace!
Lenno, Italy
Reviewed February 26, 2014

During a business trip to Buenos Aires I decided to spend a weekend in the city on my own. I chose to stay at the 5th Floor based on a recommendation from 2 friends. The weekend was fabulous and I was sad to leave the comfort and charm of 5th floor to the corporate selected hotel. The amenities are excellent, decor beautiful and it feels more like a home than a hotel. A lot of care, and attention to detail, was put into the design of the 5th Floor. Miles and Veronica are amazing hosts and truly enjoy sharing their passion and experience in Buenos Aires. Traveling alone, they welcomed me to dinner with lovely friends and we spent much time on the terrace sharing our similar experiences in life. I look forward to return, hopefully sooner rather than later. Thank you for a marvelous weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank margiefrasier