“One of the worst places we've stayed in 2 months of traveling.”

Hostel Tango Argentina
London, United Kingdom
“One of the worst places we've stayed in 2 months of traveling.”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Plus points:
This hostel is in Buenos Aires. One of the greatest cities in the world.

Minus points:
Large groups of children stay in this hostel so if you don't want kids running around knocking on your door randomly don't stay here.

Bathrooms are pretty filthy and only get cleaned once a day. Bad for a hostel that is the size it is.

Toilets don't always have loo paper in them.

There are no locks on any of the toilet doors. Or doors in some cases!

The handle fell off our dorm room door. We told them about it and it took them 3 days to do anything.

Plug adapters don't stay in a lot of the sockets.

The kitchen is a disgrace. There are hardly any utensils to cook with. We had to go out and buy some plates.

They also organised a day out (through another company) to watch Argentina v Bolivia where they promised us pizza and beers. We got one can of beer and no food all day and paid £50 each for standing tickets plus a coach there and back. Total rip off for what we got. The hostel offered to buy us a pizza the next day at noon after we had just eaten. They should have given us the 100 pesos (£15) back which was their cut for the booking fee... But they didn't.

If one of the million kids staying there is not playing games on one of the computers in reception, be aware that the wire connections are loose and there is a chance it will randomly shut down.

Overall:
How this hostel has so many good ratings on trip advisor we'll never know.
For a little bit extra money and if they have availability, stay at Circus Hostel which is on the same road. Book well in advance though they get full pretty quickly which is why we ended up at Tango.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Rye_and_Gem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Here´s the story: We stayed in a hostel about 50m away from Tango Hostal but couldn´t stay another night because they were booked. We saw Tango Hostal on both hostelbookers and hostelworld and it looked good so we decided to book it. However, since hostelworld told us there were no rooms available and it was only 50m away I went over to check. I went in and talked to the 2 persons behind the counter. They offered me a room for 240pesos (double) after which I said that on hostelbookers it was 200 and that I would book that room than. I told them I rather pay that directly to them instead of online, and that it would also save them a booking fee.

After a short conversation in Spanish between the two they decided they did not believe me and went to ´check´ on-line. They were busy for a bit too long I thought and when I saw him type numbers I leaned over to check his screen where I saw him changing prices for the hostal online. After another minute or two he turned the screen and pointed at his new price saying that this is the price online. I confronted him with the fact that I saw him changing hit which made him angry and the told me that this was it and that I shouldnt have come by and just have booked the room. This ofcourse made me a bit angry and I asked him why he punishes me for coming by and check things out. This time he pointed at the ´normal´ price sign which said 240 and he told me either 240 or I buy it online. I decided to not get to angry about this weird behavior and left the property wishing them good luck with their hostal.

Seeing other reviews the hostal doesnt seem bad, and maybe it was just the guy I spoke to who is acting weird, but I really felt like they thought I was stupid or something in the way they were setting me up.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Frebel

Travelers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This place seemed really clean, until we found hundreds of really small white maggots/worms on the floor and on our backpacks. We don´t really know where they came from, but it was somewhat disgusting. Other than that, this place was ok. Kitchen was really nice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The place was lovely and actually I really had a good time because the people and the workers were amazing, the hostel was always organized and clean and i consider that is the most important.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrea M
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I had a brilliant time in Hostel Tango . It has a great location in the heart of San Telmo, a relaxed atmosphere and the best staff, and is also one of the cheaper hostels in Buenos Aires. I met so many people there and would recommend it to anyone, when i come back to Buenos Aires i will definitely be staying there again!!

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jennifer186370
Sucre, Bolivia
Reviewed December 27, 2010

This place looked absolutely lovely from the outside and the entrance/reception area, however unfortunately it seems that after getting about 90% of the place done up pretty well, the last few small but important bits have been neglected, e.g. kitchen has no working fridge, no crockery, glassware or cutlery, isn't cleaned very often, the bathrooms have no soap or locks, the gents no toilet seats, the bedroom we stayed in had a broken cupboard with screws sticking out dangerously that we kept catching ourselves on.
Staff were friendly and the breakfast was simple but fine. They just need to pay some more attention to detail and it would be great.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HannahCharnock
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 2, 2010

The Hostel Tango is a great place for the value. Rooms are clean, the elevator works up to floor 3. Staff was very friendly and can help plan all kinds of things from excursions to taxi rides.
Downside: no private bath (if you care) and the breakfast is pretty bad. And, although it's close to the happenin' neighborhood, it's more in the quiet San Telmo proper.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple