“A heartwarming experience”

Alejandro Puerta Tango Teachings
More attraction details
Owner description: Lessons in tango technique, connection, musicality... and how it all impacts on life. Also, guided visits to milongas, to dance and to learn about tango etiquette and history. I am a molecular biologist who switched careers to follow my passion. Now my mission is to teach others to lead from the heart. I am fluent in English, Japanese and Spanish. Out of respect for my students, I don't answer the phone while in class, so it is much better to reach me by email. Please check my website for more information.
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A heartwarming experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

With no dance experience, my nerves were high before my first class - especially with the closeness of the tango. Alejandro set me at ease right away with his friendliness and enthusiasm... and his presence on the dance floor. After the second session, I had the confidence to accept offers to dance from complete strangers in the milongas. His teaching technique is miles above any public dance class. He teaches the method before the steps and I am so so grateful for finding him.

Visited May 2014
Alejandro P, Owner at Alejandro Puerta Tango Teachings, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Your warm and friendly energy made it so much fun to work with you. Thank you!

• Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
“Studying tango with Alejandro is one of the most memorable & authentic experiences you can give yourself while in BA.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Before my first class with Alejandro, I had no previous experience with tango, or partner dancing. A clean slate.

After our first session I immediately booked several more. I intuitively knew I had lucked out with a special teacher. However, I would not know exactly 'how' lucky I was until much later. I booked a class each day for the duration of my trip, which I would recommend to do if you are able.

It has now been 5 months since my first class with Alejandro, and I am continuing to dance and take classes back in North America. It is interesting that almost every instructor has remarked on how strong my fundamentals are, and how well I have been taught. It has become very apparent that I have benefited greatly from learning with him.

However I learned more than just technique and posture from Alejandro. More than just the tools to be stable, yet light, in my physical presence when dancing. Or how to be a considerate dance partner. Alejandro's gift in his teaching goes beyond those fundamentals.

Last week I was given a message to pass on to Alejandro from a well known Argentine teacher that I studied with at a tango festival in Montreal, and I think this teacher's observation captures Alejandro's true strength very accurately.

After the class, the teacher asked me to dance several times at the milonga afterwards.

Later in the evening when we said goodbye, he politely apologized for asking me so often to dance, but he said that I am dancing an old style of tango that made him feel like he was back in Buenos Aires. He was very curious about how and where I learned to dance in such a traditional way. He said tango is not about knowing the most advanced steps, not about how 'pretty' it looks, but that tango is about the connection and presence, and how it feels.

He asked who my teacher was, and had many questions about how I learned. He told me that he hoped I realized how fortunate I was to have been taught so well, and with such integrity. He made me promise to let Alejandro know that his teaching is appreciated, not just by me, but by him as well. He said that every teacher gives an essence of themselves to their student, and it was clear that Alejandro's was connection - true tango. He said that what I have been taught by Alejandro is more important than any step, which is the essence and heart of tango.

You could not receive a greater gift to from a teacher.

Visited December 2013
Thank you so much for the beautiful review. I have to say that a teacher can only do so much -- the passion you brought to tango from the very start was what helped you learn so amazingly fast. You really feel the music and throw yourself into every dance. That is a rare gift!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Life changing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have just returned from Buenos Aires where I enjoyed the good fortune of learning tango over a number of weeks in the beautiful studio of Alejandro Puerta, an exceptionally gifted and inspirational teacher.

Alejandro’s website had popped up during one of many online searches. After reading just the first page of his site I felt I had found the one and my instincts were encouraged by the faultless reviews I saw here on Tripadvisor. My experience proved the validity of everything I had read.

On arrival I was an eager beginner. Not at zero, I had the basic idea, but poise, fluidity, balance and connection to either my partner or the music? Not at all! I was an excited head trying to remember steps but all that was to change under Alejandro’s expert tuition.

From the first moment Alejandro put me at ease. There is something very light and peaceful about him that he consistently transmits through his eyes, his smile and his embrace: it fills the studio somehow and seeps into you. He explains everything articulately, suggesting images that help you grasp the ideas, planting the concepts as seeds that will surely mature and grow. His teaching is a perfect example of the self-fulfilling prophecy: he appeared to have no doubt in my ability at all and this belief managed to sweep away my own, rather stubborn and unhelpful self-doubt.

The sure sign of a consummate professional, Alejandro never appeared to have an off day but was always 100% present and constantly giving his all. Each class was a richly packed experience that covered several aspects of tango. He praised, encouraged, demanded and challenged with a seemingly endless supply of patience and a brilliant sense of humour. His confidence in me, his infectious delight and excitement at any progress was utterly inspirational and spurred me on.

For me, and without any hyperbole, the experience was simply life changing.

Like so many city dwellers today with busy frantic lives juggling jobs, children, relationships etc., unknowingly, I had come to live mostly in my head. Somehow along the way an important part of me had closed down and I hadn’t really noticed. However, during those wonderful lessons something quiet yet profound was happening on a personal level, as slowly but surely the locks around my heart were sprung, liberating and dispelling old fears, doubts and anxieties enabling a freer flow of energy throughout my body which brought a deeper peace and a truer, more honest connection that not only transformed my dancing as I finally connected with my partner and the music but so much more.

Alejandro taught me so much and I made great, deeply rooted progress. Of course there is still a good deal for me to learn and perfect but by subtly facilitating my ability to connect and giving me such a solid foundation I feel he thoroughly prepared me to face any and every new challenge and adventure in the wonderful world of tango. Wherever it takes me, I know it will be fun and life enhancing and for that I will be eternally grateful to him and to tango!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Glyn R
I am so moved by your review that I don't know how to begin to reply. All I can say is that it was a privilege to be your teacher, to watch you develop as a dancer, and to see you confront your fears. I enjoyed every one of our classes and I miss sharing your positive energy every day. Please keep me updated about your progress, on and off the dance floor! Abrazos!!
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Sixteen lessons of awesomeness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I took a group of 8 teenagers from the U.S. to Buenos Aires for a month to learn tango and Spanish. I found Alejandro online, felt impressed by his website and TripAdvisor reviews, and contacted him to set up a month of private group lessons for our total group of 10.

From the very beginning of our relationship, Alejandro acted with professionalism, expertise, humor, and an exquisite eye for service. Our initial conversation via Skype convinced me that he was the real deal—a tango instructor who focused on connection, not just looking good—and the rate he charged was extremely fair and competitively priced against other teachers I contacted. He went out of his way to find a rental studio near my group's apartment (even if it meant a subway commute for him) and additional leaders to balance out my group's leader-follower ratio.

The lessons themselves were wonderful and perfectly paced for a group of young adult novices. By the second week our group had enough skills to start attending milongas, and by the fourth week we were ripping up the dance floors. (At least, by our standards!)

Many of the members of our group (myself included) were so inspired by the group classes that they took multiple private lessons with Alejandro at his beautiful studio in San Telmo.

I cannot recommend Alejandro enough for group private lessons, individual private lessons, and general awesomeness. He is the Argentine Honey Badger. Thanks Alejandro.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Blake B
I can't tell you how much I loved working with you and the kids. Talk about inspiring!! I was blown away by their focus, their intelligence, and their talent. To see them dancing so well after a month almost moved me to tears.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Alejandro has a wonderful way of putting you at ease. His ability to instruct is excellent and his love of tango is contagious. My husband and I had 2 two hour lessons and learned so much. With Alejandro's guidance we learned to feel the music and move with it, not just perform steps. A definite must when in Buenos Aires.

Visited March 2014