“delicious first meal in Buenos Aires, would definitely go back”
Review of La Pecora Nera

La Pecora Nera
Ranked #17 of 5,180 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Recoleta
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our first meal in Buenos Aires – it was delicious and set an incredible standard for the rest of our meals in Buenos Aires. The restaurant is open Sunday night – but reservations are needed – all the time. This is one of those “closed door” restaurants – you need to make the reservation in advance – no walk-ins. But once inside, it was definitely not closed door – the atmosphere was warm and friendly and the food delicious.

The four of us – my wife and our two children, one of whom is a real foodie – totally enjoyed ourselves. The service was wonderful; three times during our dinner the chef - Daniel Hansen – came into the dining room to talk with guests and ask for suggestions and comments.

We started with two different carpaccios – Chilean octopus and the tenderloin parmigiana. Our waitress recommended that we try the Argentinian Torrontes – a delicious white wine – that none of us had ever had before. It was a good choice, the wine was delicious and is now one of our favorites (and this is from someone who prefers red wine).

Our entrees were the ossobuco risotto, baked lamb wrapped in spinach and prosciutto (with a Malbec reduction), the penne rigate with gorgonzola (and apricot, black olives and sundried tomatoes), and the chicken with artichokes. We had more than enough food for the four of us, which we all shared. The ossobuco is “to die for.” It is the knuckle of the cow leg – slow cooked for days – and then mixed with the delicious risotto.

The desert menu looked delicious – but we passed on it. Our meal was capped off with complimentary glasses of limoncello.

The cost for the four of us – a total of about USD $60.00. La Pecora Nera - The Black Sheep – was a wonderful dining experience – just two blocks off Las Heras in Recoleta.

1  Thank jaynyc59

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Simply beautiful interior. Service was top notch and they have a full English menu available on request.

The portions were generous and they were serving a complimentary Limon Chelo at the end of the meal.

The octopus Carpaccio was very enjoyable. The Carbonara was very rich and full of pancetta.

Tip: Open on Sunday night

2  Thank BST10001
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Nice place. Courteous service. Food quality so-so. Sweetbreads and almonds salad was ok. Pork loin average (and far too salty). Pasta carbonara...no, no, no !

Reviewed October 9, 2012

t’s not hard to find an Italian restaurant in Buenos Aires…it seems like half the population here are from Italian decent. In fact Buenos Aires began to accept immigrants in large numbers as early as the 1860′s and an estimated 2,250,000 Italians came to Argentina between 1861 and 1914…so you can see how the city is in love with its pizza and pasta heritage.

However, its all about finding a good Italian restaurant and boy do I have a great one for you to check out. It’s called ‘La Pecora Nera’ (or ‘The Black Sheep’ in Italian)…a quaint little romantic establishment nestled in one of Buenos Aires ritziest areas, Recoleta. The atmosphere is very ‘closed’ door reservation only style (I know this because you can’t just walk in, you must be greeted by one of the staff at the locked door), which to some could be perceived as quite pretentious but in actual fact it creates a very intimate setting.

The food is amazing with my wife and I ordering antipasti, platos principals, dolce and cafe (entree, main, deserts and coffee just incase ). With a nice bottle of Argentinian syrah coating our palates we were ready for our gastronomic adventure to begin. We started with beef capaccio and a fish pie strudel. Both were very well seasoned and both came with a small side salad. Fresh crisp pastry on the strudel and tender thin slices of capacho…yum! Next course we both had a vegetarian pasta dish. I had the mushroom ravioli and my wife had a french onion inspired special pasta dish which also turned out to be ravioli. Whilst I don’t normally order much pasta in restaurants, I have to say this was exceptionally cooked and well filled…more points on the main.

You know when you feel satisfied after 2 courses but not stuffed, like you’ve been force fed too many fries at a cheap restaurant? Well here we were just right, so dessert was a given. Boy were we glad we had that left over room because dessert was to die for! I had a Yin Yang chocolate mousse which was super rich and melted in my mouth! My wife however had the standout dish of the evening…Apple strudel with homemade cinnamon ice cream…IT WAS AWESOME!!! Super crisp pastry, freshly cooked apples and the ice cream had to be the most amazing ice cream i’ve ever had…and I’ve been to Italy many times so I know a good gelato when I taste one. Coffee was coffee, Illy an Italian coffee brand (thank god it wasn’t Argentinian – see my coffee blog lol) and I topped the meal off with a nice desert wine.

So this place must have cost an arm and a leg right? Well surprisingly not. All this for 2 people cost just $488 ARS which is around £68/$100 AUD. Anywhere you go for that quality of food is a great buy.

Overall this place is tops! Great atmosphere, top notch super friendly service and outstanding food…what more could you want? We will definitely be returning soon.

3  Thank SundayGrundle
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Wonderful italian meal - fresh homemade pasta - some of the best i've tasted to date!

Service was super and we were given a complimentary glass of champagne as a post dinner aperitif - nice touch.

Meal was such good value - our total was very inexpensive and considering the quality of pasta/wine/dessert and post dinner drinks this was unexpected.

I loved the interior of the restuarant as it was very glamourous and cosy - perfect romantic spot to hide away for an evening (See interior photo uploaded)