“A very nice place!”
Review of Viejo Telmo

and 1 more site!
Viejo Telmo
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I really love the place, it's an old building, my room was small but confortable with a unique curved door, hot water during all day, the breakfast is really good and the hosts are really nice people, they helped me with lots of tips of places to visit, they know about the city history and all kind of places that you as a visitor should go. One night I had a headache and every night they asked me how dud I feel. I really recomend this place. Romina, Maxi and Gonzalo thanks for everything I enjoyed my trip a lot.

There are newer reviews for Viejo Telmo

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Verry helpfull staff: gives information about history, everything u need to see and do.
Ask for the bikes to rent. It helps exploring the great city in a different way. Also at night a safe way of transport. Just never leave them out of sight when u are in a bar.
I&T

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed there for a full week. Maxi, Romi and Gonzalo (the owners) are top notch hosts. The environment is good, they give you the best tips on how to move around Buenos Aires and even invited me to an "asado" on the rooftop terrace. The rooms are more than warm enough at night, warm water, nice place to relax and very well located. I cant see the day to go back!

Room Tip: Just talk to Maxi and be nice!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mauricio T
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

On a positive note this place has really good water pressure and lots of hot water. You also get a good breakfast - lots of pastries and the welcome addition of cereal which you don't often get in south american hostels/hotels. It's also quite cheap.

Otherwise it's all a bit poor.

Location - We arrived around 10:30am on a Saturday morning and straightaway, on the same block as the hotel, suffered a mustard attack (someone sprays you with mustard and then someone else approaches and tries to clean you off but at the same time is pickpocketing you). I'd read about this before so we weren't robbed as we refused all help, but we entered the hotel covered in mustard. The hotel was really good and offered to wash our clothes for free to get rid of the smell. Although they still hadn't done this at 5pm the next day - ie over 30hrs later!

The next evening we came out of the hotel to find two people taking drugs immediately outside. Monday evening we came back to the hotel to find two other people lying in the gutter who were so under the influence of something they were just shouting at and abusing people.

The area was a lot better in the daytime once it got to Monday. I would urge anyone staying here to (a) get a taxi if you have bags, do not use the subte (metro) and don't walk, and (b) be very careful at night and on weekends. The problem is that you aren't really anywhere you want to be, apart from fairly near the subte. You might be technically in San Telmo but if you are then you are on its far edge. Consequently it's a bit too quiet on the weekends and at night.

As far as the room is concerned - there is no soundproofing, and we had the misfortune to have a small, jetlagged and permanently crying child near us. There was also no way of opening the window and the air con didn't work so the room was like a sauna. There was a ceiling fan. Finally the room was exceptionally small.

In conclusion, if you are small, deaf, hate the cold, in Buenos Aires midweek and don't like going out at night, then you'll love this place (and it does have excellent breakfasts), otherwise give it a miss.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grant_UK
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there three nights for exploring BA. It is quite good located although not in a really cosy area. The room was small, but very clean and nice. The breakfast was decent though nothing to write home about. All together we had a very nice stay here. Very good price-quality ratio!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

A really nice hostel, with marble stairs and beautiful high ceilings, to create a very nice antique style. I first stayed here on my own for 5 nights and was sad to leave...it was very clean, the staff are so friendly and helpful, and there is a good breakfast too. I only left as it was getting a bit pricey on my own and it was hard to meet other travellers. However, after meeting a friend who I was to share an apartment with we moved back to Viejo Telmo for 2 weeks until the apartment was vacant. We experienced the same friendly service, made use of the kitchen to cook meals and the lovely roof terrace for breakfast and to take in the afternoon sun. The location is very convenient to the micro centre and public transport. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2013

A charming hostel in a great location close to the square in San Telmo. A friendly, helpful team create a fabulous atmosphere. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them.
Room and bathrooms are spotless and the interior of the building is well maintained. Beds aee comfortable.
A substantial breakfast, continental style, is included and served on the top floor next to a large sun terrace.
A good selection of restaurants are within a few minutes walk.
we stayed there on 2 separate occasions and can highly recommend this hostel

Room Tip: The front rooms overlook the street which can be noisy. If noise bothers you request rooms at the b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends