“Avoid like the plague” 1 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
and up
La Ventana Tango Show with Optional Dinner in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a traditional Argentinean tango show with an appetizing South American dinner.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Avoid like the plague”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Where do I start? Ventana cram you in to a small underground space with 2cm between your table and the next one and begin by serving what I can only describe as the worst meal I have ever (attempted to) eat. I could stomach about 3 spoonfuls in total of the onion soup (they'd thrown in so much cornflour last minute that all you could taste was floury lumps), pork chop and yams (I think the reason they charge so much is because they've invested in a high tech machine that literally sucks the flavour out of root vegetables. It's the only explanation) and creme caramel (I could make this when I was 3. Ventana served me a viscous lumpy tastless mess), all washed down with the rancid wine. Then the tango started. To give them thier dues, the dancers were ok. What we saw of them. The rest was traditional music, a guy twirling some ropes and, the piece de resistance, a flag waving, terrible rendition of 'Don't cry for me Argentina'. A man sitting at the table next to us collapsed half way through (probably hoping to escape) but the show just continued. Don't go near this place unless you want to pay $140 for inedible food, throat-burning wine and average local entertainment. This is not a tango show - you get about 30 min in total. Laughably bad

6 Thank Marylebone_diner

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Worth It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very talented, professional tango show. I especially loved the musicians - could have listening to them even longer! The dancing was superb. Did not pay for dinner - drinks were included and transporation from Recoleta for about US $100.00.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Andrea S
Woking, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“found this overly commercial”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Thhis venue was recommended by my hotel and got good trip advisor reviews but my friend and I were very disappointed. the whole thing had a very hard, commercial edge to it. It is held in quite an atmospheric building and it ws quite smallish so good views of the stage but as soon as we got in they were trying to get us to buy expensive cocktails in addition to the expensive dinner package we had already purchased. They were very stingy with the wine at dinner, which didn't really matter as it was cheap and nasty, the worst wine i tasted in the whole of my Buenos Aires trip. There was also much less tango than I had anticipated and too much pipe music which I found boring. there was a very entertaining display of boleadores, though. Overall, I could not recommend the meal package at all, shockingly overpriced, but the show might be worth seeing if you are interested in the non-tango aspects such as the Andean pipes.

1 Thank Pollyanna1000
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tourist trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Very over priced, meal edible , wine rough. On arrival offered cocktails not included in the price, staff not very attentive and unless you were both drinking the same wine no bottle left on table, so went thirsty between trying to attract a wine waiter . Show was good but went to local music and dance away from tango. Any extra payments at the end of night, if bank card used it took over half an hour and chasing the waiter to find out why they still had your card, before they informed you they needed you to sign at the reception desk. No apology complete lack of interest in customers.

2 Thank IKTraveller
Boston, Massachusetts
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 212 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Meal and Show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked this show as part of my stay in Buenos Aires. I was picked up at my hotel at 7:30 to arrive a little before 8. The meal was three courses served over 2 hours. I found the portions to be large, too large to finish in fact, but quite tasty. Unfortunately dinner took entirely too long at 2 hours, especially since the show is another 2 hours on top of this. The show is entertaining, but you cannot take pictures which was a shame. I enjoyed all the acts, although I think I would have enjoyed it more had I seen the show on a shorter day. I had flown in that morning and I was very tired by midnight, so I recommend saving this for mid-trip. Towards the end of the show the waiters try and sell you tango pictures, CDs, and DVDs as souvenirs. A great idea, but they do it during the show which is distracting and I just waved them off because I wanted to watch the show, not examine these items. They should sell them after. Overall, worth a visit.

3 Thank anonymous9257